Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help pricing my dead 996 (and gauging interest)

Leon1davies

Hi all

Been a while since I last posted on here, having recently got married, changed job and with a dead 996 I haven't had too much time to peruse.

So as to why I'm here now...it was just after Simply Porsche at Beaulieu last year that I suffered a cracked cylinder and had all intentions of getting it rebuilt with Hartech...even considered the 3.9 upgrade too.

Life as usual got in the way and I still haven't managed to get around to getting her fixed and probably wont be able to for another year at least. So now I'm weighing up my options of keeping her or selling her to someone who is able to get her back on the road.

I gave her a good clean inside and out and then put her to bed in the garage which is where she has been ever since.

I've no idea were to begin pricing her so was looking for some help and guidance.

Here is a high level overview:
2002 996 C2 Cab, manual in polar silver with metropol blue interior and hood.

107k miles on the clock and 3 owners from new inc me.

I've got full documentation, inc a detailed spreadsheet I've kept of all the work that's been done (when, why how much etc) since I've owned it.
Oil change done every 5k miles with Millers 10w-50.

Standard spec inc:
- bose with PCM 1 and 6 disc cd changer (currently has aftermarket headunit (pioneer sph da 120)
- electric memory seats with porsche crested headrest
- Porsche Sports Exhaust (I've done the cut out override mod)
- Sports Chassis (M030 sports suspension)
- 18" carrera wheels
- PSM
- Wind deflector included

I retrofitted cruise control and did a detailed guide of it on 911uk.

It came with M030 suspension from new but I refreshed all of this just before it died; new shocks and springs on all 4 corners as well as top mounts, ARBS and bushes...it hasn't even done 1k miles on the new suspension yet.

Recently replaced all of the exhaust brackets and bolts (tailpipe clamps and bolts in the flanges), the waterpump and AC condensers.

Been running with Michellin PS2s, the rears were replaced at 104k.

Loads more done but don't want to bore you with the full list unless you're interested.
Really is a lovely spec car thats been well looked after and bodywork is in great condition too...really sad to consider selling it but dont want to see her sat in the garage not being used!

These images were taken the day I put her in the garage, happy to supply more if needed but any help pricing her would be appreciated.

Hi Leon,
very pleased to hear about your marriage and new job. It would be a shame if such a lovely car doesn't get fixed, a great opportunity for someone here.

Having said that, I've recently retired and I'm finally restoring my Elan +2 that has been off the road for more than 30 years!

Good luck and best wishes
Mike

Thanks Mike, good to hear from you! Sounds like you're now living the dream ha!

Leon

Always immaculate it's a lovely example and a brilliant opportunity for someone to repair and enjoy. 8)
All the best Leon. :thumb:

Oh mate , seen your car a few times , it's in lovely nick.

Have you had estimates from Hartech? What's prognosis?

If that was mine I'd be getting it rebuilt and keeping it as you've spent a lot of money on it and it looks lovely... use it for you and the wife to have a weekend away in... it'll only rise in money with a rebuild...

Or talk to Tim at Marque 21 in Bridport as he's a very experienced engine re-builder..

How about a team effort? a group from the forum head down with tools and experience to get your engine removed and striped down ready for a re-build to save you costs?

I hate to see the car that I know you love sitting there like that..

Is it possible to save a cracked cylinder, or is that a new block required?

MC

That's to nice to let go. :thumb:

If you don't need to let it go for financial reasons I'd say keep it. Even if you keep it a while longer before getting it back on the road.

If I were buying a non-runner requiring an engine rebuild I'd want a 'Hartech' size bill knocking off the market price. Its either going to cost a lot to fix or lose a lot to sell.

I guess it boils down to whether it was a keeper before the engine problem. If its your dream car then I would hang onto it - better the devil you know. If it is just part of your car journey then sell and save for the next one on the list.

At the moment its costing very little to store - if its stood for several years then you may incure some recommision costs.

Everything else seems to be good in life :)!

I like the license plate, hit me up if you want to sell it :)

Keep her - she's stunning
Rebuild her next year

You'll regret if you dont :thumb:

Osh

MisterCorn said:
Is it possible to save a cracked cylinder, or is that a new block required?

MC

This ^^

Who inspected it and what else needs doing? Valves, pistons, crank??

Ie, how catastrophic a failure was it, and is it a 'simple' rebuild or a 'balls deep' rebuild?

The above makes all the difference to the value you might get for it :thumb:

Thanks for all your thoughts and feedback chaps!

At the moment all I know is cylinder 1 is definitely cracked, having stuck a bore scope down there to confirm. i really need to drop the engine and strip it down to inspect further and know the full scope...that will help make a more informed decision and a potential buyer would want to know too.

My plan was to do this and send the block to hartech to be rebuilt, plus have anything else replaced while it was out, after all it's not often you have that opportunity.

Havong spoken to a lot of you the last couple days I really dont think I can bring myself to sell her but we shall see...

Leon1davies said:
Thanks for all your thoughts and feedback chaps!

At the moment all I know is cylinder 1 is definitely cracked, having stuck a bore scope down there to confirm. i really need to drop the engine and strip it down to inspect further and know the full scope...that will help make a more informed decision and a potential buyer would want to know too.

My plan was to do this and send the block to hartech to be rebuilt, plus have anything else replaced while it was out, after all it's not often you have that opportunity.

Havong spoken to a lot of you the last couple days I really dont think I can bring myself to sell her but we shall see...

there are always options but still with the robust 3.6 option, it's a good car and getting the engine sorted will bring it back to life (and good value)

recommend Porsche Torque as well http://www.porsche-torque.co.uk/

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back