Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 Camshaft Cover Gasket Oil leaks

Thelaughingmagpie

Hello, my 993 is seaping oil from the Camshaft Cover gaskets. I have replaced two covers and OEM gaskets about seven years ago shortly after I purchased the car. I am just seeing what others have done with their 993;-

Replaced gaskets, nuts and inspected camcovers (only replace if worn)
Replaced gaskets, nuts and OEM camcovers
Replaced gaskets, nuts and Rennline/Design 911 camcovers
Replaced gaskets, nuts and Hargett Precision camcovers (Like Jackal on the forum)

I am curious if anyone has experience of the aftermarket Rennline/Hargett camcovers.

Hi,

I did mine a couple of years ago along with the other usual leak suspects, see the recent post below 4th one down:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=133858

I checked my covers with a straight edge and they were fine, so I just replaced the gaskets and the bolts, all turned out fine :thumb:

ATB :)

Although I fitted Rennline lower covers they still leaked. When I redid them I used some Molykote on the gasket surface ok atmo.
General concensus is the ally ones are not worth the extra expense.
My currnet leak is from the back of the cam gear, a big O-ring and gasket will have to wait til winter. It's a far more involved job. Cam chain covers are pretty easy to do.

My Indy told me recently that the Porsche parts have been redesigned and now are the best option.

The heat warps the oe covers.

Get some aluminium ones off Matt @ type911shop.com
Use a suitable gasket selant on the lower ones, such as Hylomar.

stuttgartmetal said:
The heat warps the oe covers.

Get some aluminium ones off Matt @ type911shop.com
Use a suitable gasket selant on the lower ones, such as Hylomar.

My point being that the heat doesn't warp the new design - according to a very well known Indy. I had the same issue and suggested getting the third-party aluminium versions. I was told not to waste my money as the Porsche part is now the best option. Just relaying what I was told.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back