Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

High mileage turbo

Jgr

Hi everyone, I'm back in the market looking for a new 996 after having to reject the c4s I bought (turned out as clocked, if anyone is looking at a black C4s at a dealer in the south let me know, I'm happy to share my bad experience to avoid others having to go through the same) anyway back on tracks, what is the concensus on high mile turbos? It will be a second car for me so minimal mileage a year.

Would be good to hear the do's and don't of these as not clued up on turbos.

Any help/guidance is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Ian

How high is high?

MC

I have a friend with one that has over 100k miles on it now. He has spent thousands on suspension recently but there were plenty of expensive trips to the garage before that. He's had it for over 5 years now and uses it as a DD. It's only recently that he's started to consider replacing it with something more suitable.

Around 100k miles. I suppose it depends partially on its history and servicing completed but is there anything that is a time bomb waiting to go around the 100k. Cheers

Jgr said:
Around 100k miles. I suppose it depends partially on its history and servicing completed but is there anything that is a time bomb waiting to go around the 100k. Cheers

I think the answer to this is generally no although it probably makes sense to get a PPI

Only the usual things that go. Corrosion seems to make itself known as they get older and that's not mileage specific. He's had the engine out every other year lately due to some pipe or other.

Jgr said:
...... I suppose it depends partially on its history and servicing completed but is there anything that is a time bomb waiting to go around the 100k. Cheers

Actually it depends completely upon on history (use) and servicing.

There's nothing on any car that has a specific mileage related life expectancy. If the car is maintained correctly and not subject to regular abuse there's no reason why the mileage should be a concern. The caveat is that the asking price should always reflect the fact that it will be worth less than an otherwise similar but lower mileage example.

Age is a different thing as consumables can deteriorate with time regardless of mileage. In many cases lack of use can make this worse.

There's nothing to be scared of about considering a Turbo but being confident of the service history and getting the current condition of consumable items professionally checked are critical.

Good Luck

If high miles you want to know its not been run on the cheap. If its had the coolant manifolds sorted, been regularly maintained with receipts, and not been excessively modified then there's nothing to worry about - certainly no more (and probably much less) than other cars with similar mileages.

Thanks T8, your right I need to go in with eyes wide open, even though this one is at a dealer and appears to have good history ill still get a PPI. ive tried to contact the previous owner but to no avail as I know he part exchanged it to an Audi main dealer and there may be a reason for the part ex. Rust is a good point, its easy to forget how old the early 996 are and what's potentially lurking behind the arch liners. appreciate the advice guys.

cheers

T8 said:
Jgr said:
...... I suppose it depends partially on its history and servicing completed but is there anything that is a time bomb waiting to go around the 100k. Cheers

Actually it depends completely upon on history (use) and servicing.

There's nothing on any car that has a specific mileage related life expectancy. If the car is maintained correctly and not subject to regular abuse there's no reason why the mileage should be a concern. The caveat is that the asking price should always reflect the fact that it will be worth less than an otherwise similar but lower mileage example.

Age is a different thing as consumables can deteriorate with time regardless of mileage. In many cases lack of use can make this worse.

There's nothing to be scared of about considering a Turbo but being confident of the service history and getting the current condition of consumable items professionally checked are critical.

Good Luck

^^^ This 100% :thumbs:

Nothing big to really concern yourself with, but just be aware that a lot of the consumables will be coming up to being replaced (or, even better, have already been replaced!) Normally starting around 80k miles.

The "big" ticket items are the following, so if they've been done then ideal - otherwise it's likely they'll need doing in your ownership. Most of these things are usually done by 100k miles:

• Turbo Manifolds
    Suspension components
    Radiators & AC stuff
    Coolant Pipes
    Clutch (if manual)
    Brakes Discs & Pads
    Tyres
    Stonechips on Front Bumper, Wings, Bonnet

I would happily buy a 100k+ mileage Turbo if it had most of the above done, but if it needed them all then you're likely going to end up paying more than a lower mileage car.

HSC911 said:
Buy Ragpicker's car :thumb:
but Ragpicker did say if it has "not been excessively modified then there's nothing to worry about" :eek: :floor: :floor: :eek:
very funny!!!
but on a serious note I would buy ragpickers tomorrow, and any modifications if done correctly and sympathetically only make a great car better IMHO :thumb:

I bought a "high mileage turbo at 107k miles a few years ago. I am at 120k. Every single part I had ever had to replace was age related and not mileage related. One thing to keep in mind is to take advice of people who actually have experience of high mileage cars "hear say" comments should be taken with a pinch of salt. My comment on that is not directed at anyone but just logic :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back