Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

I was only going to go for the one light. If you do multiple ones then it makes it more awkward to set up again as you need different values of each gears.

The thinking is exactly as you say. You are driving along, the light comes on, you need to register the light and react to it. The revs will continue to rise until you have come right off the accelerator, so it is the time from when the light comes on until you come of the accelerator. I haven't any good data from the C4 but I did look at this on my turbo not long ago. Admittedly the turbo is running a lot more power so the effect will be more pronounced, but it is also running longer gearing and weighs more. First gear.....

You might not be able to see on there, but this shows that it took 0.2s from starting to come off the accelerator until the engine reached peak RPM. During this time the revs rose from 6100 to 7050rpm. That was at 84% throttle.

Same for second gear.

In this case 0.4s from starting to lift off, from just over 90% throttle, until the engine revs peak. During that time the revs rose from 6500 to 7000 revs. In terms of the rates of rev rise I see the following:

First gear, 3300 – 6800rpm, 1 second
Second gear, 5300 – 6850rpm, 1 second

So if you assume 0.2s from starting to lift off until peak revs, and a 0.3s reaction time, from when the light comes on until you start to lift. To get a shift point of 6800rpm you would set the light at 5250rpm in first and around 6100 in 2nd. That way you can be as consistent as possible when the lights come on and get the desired shift point.

Depending on the power curve I will probably set the limit lower in first to give some headroom, as you can see on the turbo the revs rise at such a speed it is really easy to hit the limiter. If you are off by 0.2s you can have an extra 1000rpm :eek:

MC

MisterCorn said:
If ever you wanted to know how to fit the Cup shift cables to the standard 998/986 shift housing, this is the video for you.

MC

This encouraged me to get going with my Cup Cables so i checked what I have as mine came with some of the parts needed. One part was a metal clip that holds the larger cable into the shift housing without the need for the retaining plate. It locks into the housing in the same way at the plastic one on the smaller cable does. Its a 986 part: 986.424.411.00

CdlnGVj.jpg

D9EnOO3.jpg

The ball ends with the same dimensions as the Porsche supplied ones can also be bought for a few quid from here, bound to be a lot cheaper than Porsche charge:

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/b9-...=sgs_en&refSrc=1608&nosto=nosto-page-product1

bmIL0BB.png

Hope that helps

What a great find. I'll get one of those. :thumb:

MC

No Problem.

Hope it hasn't hijacked your thread too much, maybe we need a separate one for Cup Cable install info?

MisterCorn said:
Yesterday I picked one up which allegedly has problems with second gear synchros.

How does one go about sourcing a second hand gearbox, and what's the going rate? My 996.2 is about to click over 150k miles, would like to buy and rebuild a replacement box and park on the shelf for if/when required...

Cheers, Rob

You keep your eye on eBay and on the forums and wait, then beat me to it :D . Be aware that you will need access to a serious press, around 100 tons, to do the work. I am yet to source one at a sensible price so will be looking to local engineering companies to do that part if I can't get one, it is only a couple of gears I believe. Not something I really want to do TBH, I much rather do it myself, but I'm not looking to pay £6k for a press!!

I will of course be writing up my exploits on here, so you can see what is involved.

MC

OK thanks, will keep an eye out. Please let me know if you have one or see one you don't want and I'll jump straight on it.

Have access to a press of that magnitude through work so no worries there. Is there a 'rebuild kit' in existence with all the required bearings and shims, etc?

I have seen some bearing kits, but I would take each one as it goes and see what it needs after taking it apart. It sounds like a fun job to me.

MC

If we already have independent throttle bodies, is there any way to run them separately with their own trumpets? I'm guessing it would need stand alone management. Heat soak would obviously be an issue but it would sound awesome.

Yes there would, the thinking behind the central plenum though is that it can then run an air filter in the same place as usual and have a decent cold air pickup, it will be able to benefit from the torque tuning by using the control flaps in the plenum, and it will look a bit more OEM.
I don't think the management requirements will be very different though as although we could run an AFM, we don't plan on doing so.

MC

Martin,

Slightly off-topic, where did you land on brakes? Are you sticking with the Cayenne calipers upfront, or going in a revised direction?

crash7 said:
Martin,

Slightly off-topic, where did you land on brakes? Are you sticking with the Cayenne calipers upfront, or going in a revised direction?

I have a set of 380mm front / 350mm rear PCCB disks and 997 GT3 PCCB front calipers which I am working with. Currently waiting for adapter brackets to be made up, so I'll report back when they are finished. I am assuming that the rears will be the same offset as now, otherwise new brackets will be required there as well. I haven't got any rear calipers yet and would want new ones to match the front PCCBs but want to finish the front soon.
These brakes will probably end up on my C2 if the PCCBs fit properly.

MC

:thumb: I would be interested to see the caliper bracket that you come up with the get the front PCCB calipers to fit to the C2 130mm hole centre knuckle/upright.

Or have you changed the knuckle/upright?

MisterCorn said:
Yes there would, the thinking behind the central plenum though is that it can then run an air filter in the same place as usual and have a decent cold air pickup, it will be able to benefit from the torque tuning by using the control flaps in the plenum, and it will look a bit more OEM.
I don't think the management requirements will be very different though as although we could run an AFM, we don't plan on doing so.

MC

Surely if you get rid of the afm you would need aftermarket management. I've no experience with Porsche management but I changed it in my Impreza to get more features such as anti lag but more importantly it allowed me to run more boost. Thing is, it was mafless and had to be set up live on the road. I drove and the mapper spent days scaling the fuel, ignition, boost tables along with whatever else. Without an airflow sensor there must be some sort of preset. Like I said I'm no expert but I'd be very interested in the itb route if it was doable at a reasonable cost.

What I mean is that we are planning to run this maffless, so it will need an aftermarket ECU whether we went for a central plenum or not. In theory we could run a MAF and in that case might be able to run the standard ECU, that is something we are currently investigating and if it works I will probably run that on my C2.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilmslowSi
Back