Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

its this one!

I'll give them their dues, up front that it's sale or return basis providing transparency from the get go. I like that

Stokie1, first and foremost I am an old duffer, thus my opinions on value can be well of the mark... I sold an 82 SC with similar miles for circa 11K though that was a while back...perhaps in 97

I note they identify this car as an SC but it has the SC Sport options whale tail and front spoiler, 16" Fuchs I wonder if it`s suspension overhaul replaced the original "sport" spec Bilstines with like for like.

Sorry don`t like the trim and those front seats look a tad like the less popular tombstone configuration...

The front end alignment is off a tad, bonnet and perhaps bumper, but then with a sports car that is almost 40 years old what should anyone expect but at that sort of price, I am guessing you are thinking you are hoping to retain it`s investment potential for however long you might intend to hold on to it...

Could not see if the rather expensive ignition leads were up to O.E.spec as they were shielded with copper braid back in 82.

How old are the tyres.. hmm

Although the monocoque was galvanized they can corrode.

Looking at your past Porsche ownership I suspect you will find it a tad more involving to keep an SC on the road than what you may be used to...? Though some like me liked the feel through the wheel that these older Porsches provided... Just do not lift off while cornering hard..

EDIT :- Seen this one ? https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...pre-89/porsche-911-coupe/8549266#&gid=1&pid=8

Good luck in your decision making processes.. :thumb:

Gents

I am viewing the car tomo

Please could someone advise how much tyres are - and which ones to put on

and does anyone have the official acceleration and performance figures for an 82 SC please

and anything to feel for when driving as this is my first foray in to the classic Porsche

excited!

thanks in advance

Stokie,
Two things would potentially worry me,

1/ buying from Yorkshire :eek:

2/ Paintwork presented in honest condition, would benefit from light cosmetic enhancement to a couple of areas.

Underneath on an SC this could be leading to a world of pain? Sure you'll be going in with eyes open and a full inspection however :thumb:

Things to look for...hmm..? Guess much depends on whether spending anything close to £43k is a big deal or not..Perhaps more so without being sure of just what you might be getting into...?

For that kind of money I would be looking for an SC to be as good as it can be. It seems to have SC Sport options though whether it is a Sport or not may affect market value, as opposed to an SC with Sport options fitted later in it`s life..? It does look to me that the alignment issues I mentioned could be better, and if something as basic as those have not been addressed, one is left to wonder what may not be so obvious might have been ignored...?

I would be VERY inclined to have it professionally assessed by an independent marque expert before splashing the cash, regardless of the sales patter and your desire to take a few steps back in time relative to Porsche evolution. You could have Already sold it to yourself, long before you see it, and in such circumstances dependant on how much you WANT to believe all the hype even if it is an old dog... you might buy it.... I have bought a few old dogs... (-:

My evaluations can be well wide of the mark. A Porsche of the SC vintage of it`s time was one of the best all round sports cars available, perhaps something Porsche managed better than most sports car manufacturers, but by comparison with the more modern Porsches you have sampled, I am sure it will feel very different, that can perhaps be both good and bad..dependant on your priorities in terms of your intended usage of it...Assess your real life priorities carefully and set them in order.

Sorry, I cant help but be an old duffer...(-: Hope you have a very enjoyable experience with the viewing.

Being over excited from the outset, can lead to a very short love affair, if you get my drift.. :)

spongebob squarepants said:
Underneath on an SC this could be leading to a world of pain? Sure you'll be going in with eyes open and a full inspection however :thumb:

Arches look incredibly clean in one of the pics. Would have been nice to see some dirt there, or has it been 'fettled' to hide something recently. As SB says a full inspection would be minimum requirement especially as SOR and don't think there is the same comeback as a true dealer purchase transaction.
It does look lively in that colour though, and if an inspection finds nothing I don;t think it is unreasonably priced. Obviously the actual owner would be willing to take less if you can find him/her on social media etc

Really appreciate thoughts guys

Buying an older car does worry me but having spoken to Tony at performance Porsche he says

- engine - done
- gearbox - some
- suspension rebuilt
- brakes - rebuilt
- body - sound with no rot but a little cosmetic require to make a show car

I think it will come for about 40

Seems ok unless I'm missing something?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member