Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ragpickers Leggy 986 S.. first real problem: page 9

Just bought a 986 for the summer, so interested to read this thread as mines got a few niggles that need sorting, first being what sounds like a differential whine when the car is under load.
Fortunately with mine I've found invoices for coils/plugs and manifold removal a few thousand miles ago, along with new tyres.

Which Indy are you using?

Cheers chaps, I'm hoping the results will be quite pleasant.

She's having a little bit of TLC this year, having cost me nothing but fuel for the past 1-2 years since I did all the work. The engine is still exercised to the redline every day and we are now at about 160k miles I think. Doesn't use a drop of oil and the filter is always as clean as a whistle.

She'll never be sold so I thought it was time to change it to my all time favourite Porsche colour and have it done by a Pro rather than do it myself again...

You'll probably be disappointed to hear it isn't an outlandish colour though!

easternjets - I normally do everything myself but if I need anyone to do anything if I don't have time, I use Nelson Porsche in Stockton. :thumb:

Time for an update!

Since the leggy Boxster has been nothing but a joy to own for the past 2-3 years, and as it has not cost me anything other than fuel and Insurance for the last 18 months, this year I want to give it a bit of TLC.

There had been a couple of areas of rust starting - the usual area on the leading edge of the front wing, but more concerning was a small area on the rear drivers wheel arch. Because of this I thought I'd get the whole car freshened up with a re-spray. Rather than do it myself I asked a friend of mine to do it whilst I went on holiday with some close friends, driving around Scotland.

The car was dropped off and prepared accordingly.
40853200543_de9ceb964e_k.jpg

32875851187_351285fa40_h.jpg

The front of the car was stripped back to metal. This was the main area I painted in the past myself, but I used non-isocyanate paint (to protect my lungs in my make-shift paint booth). The bodyshop felt that their 'iso' paint would react with this and wanted it back to bare metal.

Here you can see the number of coats of paint the front PU has had:
46903311695_f5c20ae5bf_k.jpg

Whilst the prep was being done my wife suggested a colour change. After all, I'm never going to sell the car so it doesn't really matter what colour it is. After negotiation (she loves this car as much as I do) we decided on a dark grey. My favourite Porsche colour being Atlas (despite never having owned an Atlas car).

That morning I text the chap who confirmed he hadn't ordered the paint yet and 'Atlas' it was!

In the interim the good news was that the rust on the rear arch was only surface, it had got under the stone guard on the inner lip of the arch and made its way around to the front. There was no rot on the inner arch at all, or in between the skins, it was just under the outer coat. Bonus! Nevertheless, the bodyshop used POR15 on any area they could find before priming and painting.

Anyway, whilst I was away I was kept updated and received pics like these to whet the appetite:
47767458632_7a98485dfc_h.jpg

47767458612_b97eb6ff4a_h.jpg

40853197903_99a760011e_h.jpg

I think you'll agree it looks stunning in those pics!

It turns out that this is the most peculiar colour though because as it dried it has a blue hue to it...

Whilst in there I also had them do a wee calliper refresh for me.

I finally got the car back today and am very pleased with the results! The colour appears more blue than grey for some reason but I still love it and look forward to completing the next stage of the 'tart-up'.

46903311665_3ff981db1c_k.jpg

47767460302_44a082ae7c_k.jpg

46903312035_2d1bdbc7d4_k.jpg

46903312065_25e1a93c89_k.jpg

The next stage of the TLC will be to brighten up the surfaces of the headlights, renovate the seats (including a little more bolster) and re-dye them. I also want to change the wind deflector to one which isn't held in by cable ties, and also I fancy a new windscreen due to the odd stone chip.

Speaking of cable ties, I've had a broken passenger front headlight tray for quite some time now - the plastic around the locking bar broke a while ago and the only way to keep the light in was by using some cable ties attached to the chassis! Still functional but I want to repair it.

I've tried to replace the tray but the light doesn't seem to lock into place in the new one. Any ideas?

Anyway, all for now, more to come. Next will be a nice thorough major service and then the rest of the tidying up.

:thumb:

That is looking amazing. Top work.

MC

I've been tarting mine up a little bit, not as much as you though!

Did the headlights with some scratch remover and got rid of that yellow hue that they get. Did the paint work with the same stuff and then covered it in Poorboys. Ordered a shed load of service bits from Autodoc which should be here Monday. Gas struts and all service parts.

My question is how can you liven up the bottom end acceleration as mine feels as flat as a @@rt when you accelerate, it's a 2.7 std not S.
Also is the rear suspension always as harsh as mine feels, it really isn't smooth at all, getting into the 997 Turbo after feels like a magic carpet ride!

Colour looks good, definitely different from boring Silver and Black!

Its no secret that i love the Boxster line up and the work done to bring this back to its former glory .. :worship:

The colour .. excellent .. its weird how some colours alter in different lighting . basalt black and olive grey spring to mind .. depending on the light they look different colours as does yours .

That's not a cheap bit of work .. hopefully friends rates :)

i can say that rust is normally superficial on these cars .. i've yet to see a rotten one .. in fact i've yet to see a rotten 986 onwards !

I'm a big fan of matching or different coloured wheels .. several years of doing wheel refurbs i guess so to see non standard wheel colours makes me happy ... i still think this is what makes a car .. but i'm in the minority here .. most customers always wanted silver .

In short ..

:worship:

i love it !

Proper man maths kicking in there :grin:

Thought I was going colour blind for a minute there :oops:

Good work RP :thumb:

Having driven the Precision Porsche Courtesy 986 S, I'm thinking about getting one. What a thread, Raggy.

I'd try and do as much as I can but there's no way I could come close to what you've achieved.

Wonder how much all the susp refresh would come to if deMort did it?! :lol:

I'd aim to whack a hard top and buckets in to save weight. Some lighter wheels abs sticky rubber.

What size rims are you running?

Have you tracked her? Any trouble with fly by noise levels etc?

The TB and Plenum mods, have you had the car on a dyno? You say the 996 equivalents are easier, how much labour do you think an Indie would charge? Finally, did you have the mods mapped in?

Cheers chaps!

@MC - coming from you, thats a compliment! :D

@Easternjets - Assuming your car is stock and without 100cel/decats, the only real way to liven the bottom end without major work would be an underdrive pulley. They do make a difference. There were some engine innovations in the 9*6 model run such as variocam plus which was the true answer to providing extra torque at the lower end. Most pre-facelift 986's tend to just have Variocam I believe although Demort would know this better than me. The rear end should not be harsh at all. Your long arms will need changing (they all do), that would be a good place to start ;-)

@demort - Thank you young man! I do like getting the demort seal of approval! I'm quite embarrassed by what I've spent to be honest but as long as the shell remains rot free I will endeavour to keep this car, come rain or shine!

@911tom&HSC911 - Cheers fellas, not a patch on a 718 Cayman I'm sure, but its definitely got character!

@Marty - Thanks pal! I try to put interesting things in this thread and have it as a true reflection of enthusiast ownership. I can thoroughly recommend the shocks and springs I used. You'd have to ask Demort how much he'd charge to change them all over for you. There are always lots of seized bolts which can take forever to remove!

I'm running standard 18 inch turbo twists. I haven't yet tracked this one but I used to track my first boxster all the time. An amazingly capable track tool which give much more expensive cars the shock of their lives! I had some tuition as I was approaching my ARDS test and when I learned how to drive it better it was incredibly rewarding.

I haven't had this car on a dyno but I did my original car. With the mods and the map she was running 290bhp. Thats not whats impressive though. Its true standing 1/4 times etc which are a better yardstick. This current car has exactly the same standing 1/4 time as a 2016 Audi S3, and its nearly 20 years old and with intergalactic miles on!

Which shocks and springs did you go for?

After reading your thread, I'm thinking susp refresh, brake upgrade and buckets to be the first expenditure.

I can rip a load of crap out to lighten things up too.

What's the deal with harnesses and cages, is there like a half cage option do you know. Something to beef it up in a roll (god forbid) and attach harnesses to. But to not completely lose the ability to use the car as a road car, if that makes sense?

Hahaha! Cheers Mark!

Marty, I went FSD shocks with H&R lowering springs (I'm sure its all documented earlier in the thread).

Regarding the cage, not sure... Its already got rollover hoops (the whole structure of which is like a half cage) but the boxster race series mandate the use of a hard top.

Cheers, wasn't sure I had seen the info re. the suspension. Will check it out.

So the OEM rollover is decent enough to make you feel secure with regular tracking? Obviously would need some cage action to get harnesses.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back