Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stiff gear selector when hot on 997.1 Tiptronic

Donstanley

Trainee
My Tiptronic gear selector is significantly stiffer at normal operating temperature than when cold.

This is becoming more noticeable, I.e. it is getting worse.

Is it likely to be the cable or internal to the gearbox?

Any advice much appreciated.

It's most likely to be the pivot on the side of the gearbox, mine did this, got stiffer once up to temperature.
If you can get under the car and get someone to move the selector it will become apparent, either squirt some lube on it or remove a clip and quadrant off the pivot and clean it up and grease it your stiffness should go away,, :lol:
If you search I'm sure DeMort put a diagram when I posted about mine.

I did mine from below and did not improve much so removed the centre and lubricated it up from above as well, bee good for the last two years.

There is technically 3 things that can cause this and in order ..

1 / The pivot on the gearbox starts to seize as stucart has mentioned . i prefer to remove it strip it and grease as a long term cure here .

To check i would pop off the cable then move it .. if it moves freely then its not seized .

2 / The gear lever has a Torx bolt on the o/s and under the center console .. this can actually tighten up over time as its only on plastic .. this will make it tight and i've seen a few over the years .. pivot first but this is a close second .. you basically undo it about a 1/4 turn .. job done .

3 / The cable can go tight so a new one is required .. ok pretty rare and i've only seen it once but it is possible .. do 1 and 2 above first though :D

Stif f gear selector when hot on 997.1 Tiptronic

Many thanks for advice, I will try suggestions in order next week and report results.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back