Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lowering Springs or the Full Monty

M96

Good evening 911UK wisdom.

Ok, so it's another which suspension upgrade question (sorry).... I know there have been many already, but can't find one that answers some specific queries I have..

Currently have fairly fresh m030 with a good geo on the vehicle, and while it's not the last word in chassis dynamics, I'm generally very pleased with the way it drives as a 'fast road" car.

However, while the performance is all good, I fancy a slight drop in ride height, and wouldn't mind it being a little more focussed if that was an associated by-product.

My initial thoughts were Ohlins, but given that the hardware fitted currently is pretty fresh and, while I know Ohlins would be superior, I am not hankering for anything better right now.

This has led to mulling over some H&R lowering springs as a (much) lower cost experiment...

However, I do have some concerns which I thought some people may already have some interesting insights on...:

1. Are the spring rates broadly equivalent to m030 springs, as I have seen some info suggesting they are actually lower...
2. Is bottoming out a concern (particularly if the spring rates are lower than m030..)
3. Do people think they are a reasonable match to try

I realise this set-up is ultimately compromised to a proper coilover set-up, but just trying to avoid my quest for a slightly lower ride height making the car dreadful to drive!!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

M96

I did a did a major suspension overhaul to my C2 a few years ago and also fitted the M030 kit, last year I then fitted Eibach -30mm lowering springs so I feel qualified to reply.

1. My Eibach springs (similar to H&R) are progressively wound, rather than linear like the M030. The rates are not advertised but they are softer than M030 initially and firmer at the end of the travel. This is a good thing for road use, the new springs are more compliant and bumps/pot holes feel less harsh.
The springs are advertised as -30mm over standard, the M030 were supposed to be -10mm however I reckon that they were more like -3 or 5 mm Lower as the original springs had sagged over 15 years.
Note that Eibach springs may give more than -30mm drop at the rear which MAY cause issues with geometry alignment as they create excessive negative camber unless you also buy adjustable rear Toe arms (~£230) to correct this.
I also fitted a 10mm aluminium spacer to raise the rear ride height and had the car geo set to X74 spec.
2. No the car will not bottom out with road use even with passengers, I haven't had a problem with speed humps either and only need to be careful when pulling up to a high front curb In a parking space.
3. Very good combination with the M030 dampers,try it first before spending more money. Just allow for the adjustable toe arms and a decent geo. Also change any other worn suspension components as many are past their best now.

I have H&R fitted to Bilstein B8 dampers and have also had them fitted to MO30.

As per 911munKy's experience with Eibach springs.

1. No bottoming out even at fast road speed on pretty hefty compressions.
2. Regularly take it for a fast strop over local B, C and unclassified roads which it takes on with aplomb. Car rides the potholes and bumps without throwing it off line and the damping never feels like it can't keep up. I don't hang about either.
3. H&R feels like it rides better than MO30 springs. (Subjective)
4. Geo may make more difference to the overall experience than what dampers and springs are fitted?

Can't comment on Ohlin's in comparison as I haven't tried a car back to back, but the initial cost is going to double once fitting and corner weight and setting up is added I'd have thought? Worth trying I'd say. If you decided to go the whole hog, you'd get most of your money back selling the springs on again

Good luck with it.

I did just H&R springs to start off with and really didn't like it, rear was ok but the front felt like it was riding on the bump stops.

I took them straight of and fitted PS10's, transforms the car.

Whilst more expensive I'd go the full monty..

Hope it helps.

Darren

Attachments

• 9eb6ab5c_198e_4dae_872f_062facc2977a_159.jpeg
    9eb6ab5c_198e_4dae_872f_062facc2977a_159.jpeg
    515.7 KB · Views: 1,231
Hi,

Just a note to say thanks for the views shared (especially Pageey, who almost managed to invoke some reckless finger clicking 😂) and that I went with H&R lowering springs as an experiment, and i'm really happy with the results so far...

The car is approx 15-20mm lower than where it sat on the reasonably fresh m030 springs and new springs feel very similar to the m030 (possibly ever so slightly softer, but very marginal) so therefore still nicely matched with the already fitted damper rates.

For anyone who already has fairly new m030 fitted (and therefore don't need to factor damper replacement into the overall cost), and wants a ride height drop, I wouldn't hesitate to advise this set-up on a 996.1 c2.

Also - I went with a slightly more aggressive geo, but factory settings would also have been possible within the adjustment available.

Cheers

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back