Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

USA road trip blog link & 993 3.8 engine build review

tyinsky

I wasn't going to share my upcoming USA road trip with the 993 for a few more weeks but I reckon I've got enough content in there now for it to work, and I have come to the realisation it will never be perfect or totally ready. I will keep adding to it before I go as I've got a bit more on the shipping side of it to share.

www.aircooledbug.co.uk

The section in there on the car I may hide/remove as I'm not 100% sure where I am going with it yet. I've got so many things I want to put in there like road trips, mods, servicing and so on. I've added the 3.8 engine build review in there that I promised a while back. Opinions on whether it is worth leaving in/of interest welcome.

http://aircooledbug.co.uk/porsche-993-engine-rebuild-3-8-conversion/

Feels odd sharing it. Bit like walking down the street naked :eek:

:thumbs:

This is great read. Top work!

Excellent information, great resource for any 993 owner.
Love the detail. Especially for a fellow 'S' owner. :thumb:

One of the best reviews of a 3.8 build I've read and no need to blush.
I was very tempted soon after I got the car to let 9m do a 3.8 build with their cylinder heads after experiencing a ride in John Spears car at Oulton Park. Instead I went for totally the opposite and spent the money on lightening, suspension and cosmetics. One reason being I could do a lot of it myself. With the recent addition of Vram (also diy) the car is just how I want it but the 3.8 is so tempting and the motor will have to come out again sometime as I never totally cured it's leaks. I'll just have to wait for one of those long lost Nigerian relatives to kick the bucket.

Extremely informative and love the design of the website and pages :worship:

Re: USA roadtrip 993 and 3.8 engine build review

tyinsky said:
I wasn't going to share this for a few more weeks but I reckon I've got enough content in there now for it to work, and I have come to the realisation it will never be perfect or totally ready. I will keep adding to it before I go as I've got a bit more on the shipping side of it to share.

www.aircooledbug.co.uk

The section on the car I may hide/remove as I'm not 100% sure where I am going with it yet. I've got so many things I want to put in there like road trips, mods, servicing and so on. I've added the 3.8 engine build review in there that I promised a while back. Opinions on whether it is worth leaving in/of interest welcome.

http://aircooledbug.co.uk/porsche-993-engine-rebuild-3-8-conversion/

Feels odd sharing it. Bit like walking down the street naked :eek:

This is tremedous, well done Sir! I'm going down this route next year or over winter if funds permit.

Only read a few pages so far, but it's a great read. The £3,383.00 total costs for the shipping, did that figure include the marine Insurance?

tyinsky said:
Thanks guys :)

Marine Insurance was coming in at £3k each way. For £6k I'm more than happy to self insure.

:bonk:

Thanks, had to re-read that. Wasn't sure what self insure meant, even though the clue is in the name. I've had a sizeable lunch......

I'd love to do something similar, never really thought about doing this way. Can't wait to see what you get up to.

Just had the time to take a good look at your blog :) Great info on the car, the suspension (booked in with CG in Oct) the Short shift and the 3.8 are all on my list to look at, so made great reading.

Looking forward to reading more and seeing the pictures of your trip. :worship:

Love the write up!

If an engine needs new p&c's, going the 3.8 route makes sense. Can you shed light on the characteristics of the rally cam? i.e. torque rather than bhp bias?

I was wondering where you got with this the other day since your last mention of the road trip here.

Glad you are sharing, I can't wait to see more!! This is a dream trip, I hope to follow it one day. I was watching a road trip video on youtube where they did the dragons tail, I think you mentioned you were going to do, what a dream!

Good luck with everything and look forward to updates!

Good shout on RGA also!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back