Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 turbo brakes vs 996 GT3 six pot brakes

P911X50

Hi

Has anyone fitted GT3 6 pot brakes to their 996 turbo? If so, can you tell me if it made a noticeble difference to the braking performance.

Thanks

Performance in what way? I went from 330mm disks and turbo calipers to 350mm disks and GT3 calipers. I also run some big front brake ducts. GT3 RS I think but not 100% sure.

The performance between them under the majority of circumstances was more down to what pads were fitted than anything else. The turbo ones with decent pads would do 13 back-to-back emergency stops from 70mph with no fade at all. The GT3 ones did see fade under the same test, but not sure on the pads used. I fitted decent pads after that and then no fade again for the next test.

It is more about a larger thermal mass than anything else. You will have slightly more forward brake bias with these as well.

I fitted them because I like the look of them, with good brake ducts, decent fluid and good pads there is not likely to be a real need for them unless you are doing some pretty hardcore driving.

If you are doing changes, I have a couple of 27mm master cylinders available to give you a slightly stiffer pedal.

MC

I thought it was 14 hard stops? :lol:

I'm going to stick with 13.

MC

Standard turbo brakes are utter pap. Might as well put two blocks of wood either side of the disc. My mum's fiesta stopped better. It was embarrassing, I let my brother in law drive my Porsche and the first thing he mentioned was the terrible brakes. I used to brake twice as early before junctions as I had no confidence in them.

There is thread after thread of wooden brakes comments with replies saying they'll stop if you stand on them. I've been weight training all of my adult life so it's not like I was short on a bit of leg strength.

I fitted GT3 6 pots with standard 997 discs and performance friction pads. I'll change the pads as they squeel, but the braking performance was like switching the light on in a cellar.

Do it, you won't regret it. I'll get some decent discs and it'll be even better.

There's no difference to Pedal travel as the total piston area is the same, but it uses a larger swept area on a bigger radius with better heat management.

Best mod I've ever done. It's the brakes the car should have had.

P911X50 said:
Hi

Has anyone fitted GT3 6 pot brakes to their 996 turbo? If so, can you tell me if it made a noticeble difference to the braking performance.

Thanks

they will make a noticeable difference to the 996 Turbo and a recommended upgrade

I had them on my car when I bought it...I think they were a bit pooh too but you get used to them.

I kind of like them now, more because they look so damn cool under the hollow spokes 8)

:grin:

...I think the brakes (new all around 1000miles ago) complete with new brake fluid are crap tbh...my Honda jazz brakes have more feel and bite?!

I am thinking about changing the pads in an attempt to discover the fabled 911 braking performance...

I recently replaced the rear disks and pads on my C2, the inner faces were corroded but plenty of meat on them. I was really suprised at the difference.

MC

I have installed 997.1 turbo calipers and discs to all 4 corners, I had no faith in the original 996 turbo brakes, in fact quite terrifying at times!
these are so much better, I have not changed the brake fluid reservoir/master cylinder as some seam to think you must, it may be even better if you do :dont know:
I also flushed the system, fitted new stainless brake hoses and refilled with ATE performance fluid :thumb:
these work great now :)

Attachments

• imag0851_159_115.jpg
    imag0851_159_115.jpg
    607.1 KB · Views: 4,248
  • 9971calipers_622.jpg
    9971calipers_622.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4,248
  • ate_typ200_racing_brake_fluid_dot_4_31_512.jpg
    ate_typ200_racing_brake_fluid_dot_4_31_512.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 4,248
I hated the brakes on my car. I've since fitted 350mm Sebro disks all-round (997 turbo) with regular Pagid road pads with the standard calipers with 10mm spacers and high tensile bolts.

Night and day difference and not expensive. I already have the extra brake duct deflectors front and rear. If I want even better braking, I'd go for Pagid RS29.

I fitted the GT3 6 pots to mine with 350mm 997 turbo discs and RS29 pads, cracking mod. Stops better than my Ferrari 488 on 400mm carbon ceramic brakes. You won't regret it but choose the right pad and disc combo.

Darren.

Attachments

• 3435493a_2e81_49d8_b1f2_edf7245857aa_177.jpeg
    3435493a_2e81_49d8_b1f2_edf7245857aa_177.jpeg
    452.1 KB · Views: 4,189
  • b4fdc92a_1b0b_44be_93de_0da176b689f6_168.jpeg
    b4fdc92a_1b0b_44be_93de_0da176b689f6_168.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 4,180
uk996 said:
I hated the brakes on my car. I've since fitted 350mm Sebro disks all-round (997 turbo) with regular Pagid road pads with the standard calipers with 10mm spacers and high tensile bolts.

Night and day difference and not expensive. I already have the extra brake duct deflectors front and rear. If I want even better braking, I'd go for Pagid RS29.

Can I ask which Pagid pads you used ? Where you bought them from ? And what they cost ?
Many thanks.

Slippydiff said:
Can I ask which Pagid pads you used ? Where you bought them from ? And what they cost ?
Many thanks.

Yes, Pagid standard road pads. Sebro discs front and back.
All from Eurocarparts (or carparts4less).

Both companies have discount codes going at the moment, so take 14% off the CP4L prices.

If I decide to track the car, I'll put Pagid RS29 on. Perhaps Brembo HP2000 or Performance Friction for a more road biased setup, as the RS29 can squeal if they're used too lightly I've been told.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back