Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My first 911 (C2 gen1)

Tyres sorted, MOT booked for the 8th May, fingers crossed!

Knd9mH4.jpg

Glad to help Olly.

For the head unit I'd recommend getting a Continental unit and harness from Bergvill FX. It's a very simple swap, the head unit is superior to the OEM one, and you get bluetooth/handsfree and DAB radio.

https://www.bergvillfx.com/

They are very unobtrusive.

8Vrx4t9.jpg

I've also done the Alpine speaker upgrade on mine... dash and rear panels. Sounds very decent for what it is.

I went for the exact same wheels for the same reasons. I also have 255 rears and it's definitely the right size for the car, particularly when you realise there is also less weight in a smaller tyre and that tyre technology has moved on a huge amount in the twenty years since Porsche specced a 265 rear for the C2.

I have 205 fronts also, which are just a little too narrow, so I'll be going for 215 or 225 next time.

I've got one of those Continental radios and the wiring harness adapter needed to make it work- brand new in the boxes, just come and pick them up as I'm far too lazy to post.

I've also got a set of those wheels, I really must work out a good back to back test between those and the Carrera 5 spoke/18" wheels.

Martin996RSR said:
I have 205 fronts also, which are just a little too narrow, so I'll be going for 215 or 225 next time.

My friends wouldn't let me go 205, they insisted on 225 :D. I was keen to stick to factory spec. Agreed re-255s vs 265s. Fingers crossed this is a good move! I'll feedback vs. experience with 18s as soon as the MOT is done :D.

Dammit said:
I've got one of those Continental radios and the wiring harness adapter needed to make it work- brand new in the boxes, just come and pick them up as I'm far too lazy to post.

I've also got a set of those wheels, I really must work out a good back to back test between those and the Carrera 5 spoke/18" wheels.

THANK YOU! And thanks again Stotty for the tip. That looks a great setup for my needs. Yes, be interesting to get your views of 17s vs. 18s too.

Oil analysis came back. Circa £30 with Millers, sample taken midway through draining the sump for an oil change. A big relief!

VKUXszc.png

Major service done, 17s fitted, H&R rear anti-rollbar on, and MOT done!!! It failed on lights, an indicator, and the handbrake. All fixed/adjusted and it passed with no advisories. Pretty chuffed with that! Here it is basking in its post MOT glow on the 17s.

by3Yasm.jpg

Liking the H&R springs ride height and 17s. Now it needs a serious clean, fix the irritating leak/wet driver side carpet (back to suspecting it's the door-card - UB was right), and need to sort a few interior bits: Console delete kit ordered (http://www.carnewal.com/products/996/p96022/Console-Delete-Kit), new stereo (thanks, Dammit), and climate display fix ready to go.

The MOT man wrote it up as 1600kgs for the brake test. This piqued my friend's interest and he weighed it.

AeAvAM0.jpg

1370kgs with some fuel makes it around 1360kgs dry and 20kgs less than a GT3! The internet doesn't lie, the early 996s are 20kgs lighter than GT3.

So, now I need to get some miles under my belt.

Couldn't resist taking it for a run and vPower top-up. Ended up on Hayle slip.

rm9yt7b.png

Enjoyed the coast road there and back. Liking the 17s and PS4s. The ride is noticeably better on our awful roads and the TC light flashes a lot less. Didn't get the measure of the new rear ARB. Slightly worried about Si setting it to hard, bypassing any point in it being adjustable. Feels good to able to drive it again.

Edit: Gert has already shipped the console delete kit. Should be here mid next week.

Looking good with the wheels. Love the unfussy clean shape of the whole car.

A PHer had his 996.2 GT3 (comfy chairs, with some fuel) weighted at Centre Gravity recently and it was 1380kg.

Looks like figures are pretty spot on with Porsches.

Y2K said:
Welcome and good write-up. :thumb:

iOlly said:

And, I found it! A 2002 Gen 2 in Silver with full Hartech rebuild, 85k, 5 years of Hartech Service History, recent tyres, black sports seats, and the three-spoke wheel. It wasn't perfect, it had a sun-roof and nav... I watched it fail to sell and contacted the eBayer whilst also finding the original advert here on 911uk. While at the Final Circuit Days' Rockingham Raceway Trackday, it sold. Typical! It had been for sale since September with 0 interest.

I was there! :)

So was I :)

dGcEBdaY.jpg

Olly won't mind - I'm partly responsible for his purchase :D

here's a slightly more disturbing pic from that day...

M5ejMlHX.jpg

:eek:

I think our cars were facing the wrong way :lol:

I've seen that picture; nasty turn 4 exit bump :eek:

Y2K said:
I think our cars were facing the wrong way :lol:

I've seen that picture; nasty turn 4 exit bump :eek:

He lost it before the bump

Anyway it's almost back on topic as Olly drove the Boxster that day (although wasn't driving in that pic)

I don't mind at all. As Ed says, he's partially to blame. And, I could look at that pic of his 944 and your GT3 any number of times!

2tJRHxZ.jpg

Yes, driving it was interesting... The back is VERY stiff, the owner had done the shared/scary pic, and I know how much has been spent on building it and racing it to-date... It also had a naf short shift kit. Other than that it was quite a machine! The noise is pure evil and it pulled like a train. It rotates on gas/off gas and was less snappy than expected. On the banking bump it was scary and required a lot of commitment. Any lift and it starts rotating, too much gas the same.

If it were mine I'd go back to a stock shifter (the owner has gone CAE, which is even better) and soften off the back a bit. The owner is keen I get some exp and enduro race it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back