Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gmund Cars Ltd & Andrew Mearns FRAUD £1Million stolen

***** has been mentioned.......time to lock the thread.
That's.the rule isn't it? :grin: :grin:

I didn't realise i had compared him to anyone, i was just highlighting the fact that people can change over time. And like i said, I have had positive historic dealings with gmund but I wouldn't go anywhere near them now. But each to their own

Re: Gmund Cars Limited : NEW NEGATIVE REVIEW : MAY 2019

Pagoda1966 said:
No, this isn't a duplicate thread.

For the avoidance of doubt, this is a NEGATIVE review of Andrew Mearns/Gmund Cars Limited.

During the many sleepless nights I've had since late March when I first became aware of issues with Andrew Mearns/Gmund's approach to SOR, I've deliberated long and hard about posting this negative review - character assassinations over minor or petty matters where there's usually two sides to the story are just not my style. However, on this occasion, with no grey areas over the facts and numerous broken promises, I believe it my duty to warn others.

Although some might say this thread is a little premature (2 days shy of 8 weeks?) with others having waited up to 6 months before going legal/public, due to the significant sum of money involved (in excess of £50k), I am not able to be as patient or as understanding as others have been.

THE FACTS: (happy for any of this to be challenged by Andrew Mearns/Gmund):

Car handed over to Andrew Mearns/Gmund in Autumn 2018 to market on a SOR basis. Initial price quite optimistic so subsequently reduced down to £57,495 over a period of time at my request.

11/03/19 : Communication from Andrew Mearns/Gmund notifying me of interest in the car.

(I subsequently established that the car was MOT'd on 6/03/19 - wasn't due until 1/8/19 - so I suspect this was virtually a done deal by the time I was informed).

30/03/19: DVLA notification of change of registered keeper received.

(I subsequently established via an HPI check that the change was effective 14/03/19).

30/03/19: Prompted only by communication from me, response from Andrew Mearns/Gmund that deal done but still getting car ready and plate transfer was the reason for the change of keeper.

(I know enough about buying/selling cars to know that no-one would transfer the registered keeper until payment had been received. Note, nearly 8 weeks after the change of keeper, original plate remains on the vehicle according to DVLA. Request for details of the deal struck ignored).

5/4/19: Chased Andrew Mearns/Gmund for update.

6/4/19: Chance conversation with another motor trader who was buying one of my other cars, directed me to issues with Andrew Mearns/Gmund highlighted on 911UK.COM.

(I was particularly spooked by the comment made by forum member 'DPC7" that Andrew Mearns/Gmund had sold a £60k car early March so his payment could now be made - my car I presume?)

6/4/19: Request for urgent clarification of the deal reached / payment.

8/4/19: Response received - Sierra Cosworth taken in as part-exchange being delivered to its new owner 11/4/19 and payment would follow thereafter.

(They did have a Sierra Cosworth advertised on Pistonheads early March, although not on their own web-site, which I saw had been sold late March, so this seemed plausible to me. In the interests of keeping dealings friendly, I chose to overlook the fact that at least 50% of the sale proceeds had been in their possession since 14/03/19. Request for details of the deal reached again ignored).

15/04/19: Urgent update requested - no response.

22/04/19: Final warning before legal action sent.

(Not wanting to stick the knife in on a business which might have been experiencing genuine cashflow problems - although that's not really my problem as these monies should have been ring-fenced from the business account - I asked for £25k and the balance by 10/05/19).

23/04/19: Response received - payment would be made that week with further request that I did not go public on any forums.

25/04/19: Now 6 weeks since car sold & no payment received.

28/04/19: With numerous broken promises and no realistic prospects of being paid, 911UK.COM informed and solicitor instructed.

29/04/19: Response from Andrew Mearns/Gmund, payment would be made 'in the next day or so".

07/05/19: as of today, no payment received - almost 8 weeks since car sold.

Like others, I'm extremely disappointed to find myself in this position. I find it incredible that a seemingly legitimate and well respected business can be allowed to operate in this way. I also consider myself a good judge of character, but clearly, I got it badly wrong on this occasion.

I will be reporting Andrew Mearns/Gmund to Trading Standards and contacting the local press in North Yorkshire as there are some elements to this story which could make it potentially newsworthy. The fact that Andrew's wife, Samantha Mearns, is a local councillor and was the Company Secretary and a 'person with significant control" (PSC) when the vehicle was given to them in August 2018 (resigned December 2018) or that Gmund have their Open Day on 18/05/19 is not lost on me either.

Payment has been promised this week, let's see whether this promise is honoured.

Although I've done SOR before and had good experiences from the likes of JZM, not sure I'd ever do it again.

I regret that my first post on this forum is a negative one but applaud 911UK.COM for providing a platform to highlight negative experiences from those in the Porsche fraternity.

This story reminds me of this clown who I bought my car from. Ended up dragging his Mr Potato head to court.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwwxYSezwVg

:thumb:

And winning, I hope?

Re: Gmund Cars Limited : NEW NEGATIVE REVIEW : MAY 2019

ok51mon said:
Pagoda1966 said:
No, this isn't a duplicate thread.

For the avoidance of doubt, this is a NEGATIVE review of Andrew Mearns/Gmund Cars Limited.

During the many sleepless nights I've had since late March when I first became aware of issues with Andrew Mearns/Gmund's approach to SOR, I've deliberated long and hard about posting this negative review - character assassinations over minor or petty matters where there's usually two sides to the story are just not my style. However, on this occasion, with no grey areas over the facts and numerous broken promises, I believe it my duty to warn others.

Although some might say this thread is a little premature (2 days shy of 8 weeks?) with others having waited up to 6 months before going legal/public, due to the significant sum of money involved (in excess of £50k), I am not able to be as patient or as understanding as others have been.

THE FACTS: (happy for any of this to be challenged by Andrew Mearns/Gmund):

Car handed over to Andrew Mearns/Gmund in Autumn 2018 to market on a SOR basis. Initial price quite optimistic so subsequently reduced down to £57,495 over a period of time at my request.

11/03/19 : Communication from Andrew Mearns/Gmund notifying me of interest in the car.

(I subsequently established that the car was MOT'd on 6/03/19 - wasn't due until 1/8/19 - so I suspect this was virtually a done deal by the time I was informed).

30/03/19: DVLA notification of change of registered keeper received.

(I subsequently established via an HPI check that the change was effective 14/03/19).

30/03/19: Prompted only by communication from me, response from Andrew Mearns/Gmund that deal done but still getting car ready and plate transfer was the reason for the change of keeper.

(I know enough about buying/selling cars to know that no-one would transfer the registered keeper until payment had been received. Note, nearly 8 weeks after the change of keeper, original plate remains on the vehicle according to DVLA. Request for details of the deal struck ignored).

5/4/19: Chased Andrew Mearns/Gmund for update.

6/4/19: Chance conversation with another motor trader who was buying one of my other cars, directed me to issues with Andrew Mearns/Gmund highlighted on 911UK.COM.

(I was particularly spooked by the comment made by forum member 'DPC7" that Andrew Mearns/Gmund had sold a £60k car early March so his payment could now be made - my car I presume?)

6/4/19: Request for urgent clarification of the deal reached / payment.

8/4/19: Response received - Sierra Cosworth taken in as part-exchange being delivered to its new owner 11/4/19 and payment would follow thereafter.

(They did have a Sierra Cosworth advertised on Pistonheads early March, although not on their own web-site, which I saw had been sold late March, so this seemed plausible to me. In the interests of keeping dealings friendly, I chose to overlook the fact that at least 50% of the sale proceeds had been in their possession since 14/03/19. Request for details of the deal reached again ignored).

15/04/19: Urgent update requested - no response.

22/04/19: Final warning before legal action sent.

(Not wanting to stick the knife in on a business which might have been experiencing genuine cashflow problems - although that's not really my problem as these monies should have been ring-fenced from the business account - I asked for £25k and the balance by 10/05/19).

23/04/19: Response received - payment would be made that week with further request that I did not go public on any forums.

25/04/19: Now 6 weeks since car sold & no payment received.

28/04/19: With numerous broken promises and no realistic prospects of being paid, 911UK.COM informed and solicitor instructed.

29/04/19: Response from Andrew Mearns/Gmund, payment would be made 'in the next day or so".

07/05/19: as of today, no payment received - almost 8 weeks since car sold.

Like others, I'm extremely disappointed to find myself in this position. I find it incredible that a seemingly legitimate and well respected business can be allowed to operate in this way. I also consider myself a good judge of character, but clearly, I got it badly wrong on this occasion.

I will be reporting Andrew Mearns/Gmund to Trading Standards and contacting the local press in North Yorkshire as there are some elements to this story which could make it potentially newsworthy. The fact that Andrew's wife, Samantha Mearns, is a local councillor and was the Company Secretary and a 'person with significant control" (PSC) when the vehicle was given to them in August 2018 (resigned December 2018) or that Gmund have their Open Day on 18/05/19 is not lost on me either.

Payment has been promised this week, let's see whether this promise is honoured.

Although I've done SOR before and had good experiences from the likes of JZM, not sure I'd ever do it again.

I regret that my first post on this forum is a negative one but applaud 911UK.COM for providing a platform to highlight negative experiences from those in the Porsche fraternity.

This story reminds me of this clown who I bought my car from. Ended up dragging his Mr Potato head to court.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwwxYSezwVg

:thumb:

Crikey the moral is don't buy from an Andrew :nooo:

Another week has gone by and another promise to pay (this week) broken.

What really puzzles me is how he's got away with it for so long. Most people know people or know 'people" and surely it's just a matter of time before he crosses the wrong person.

I'm not the balaclava & baseball bat type but other legal routes can be just as effective.

Tuesday is the final deadline day for payment. It's then going to become very serious and expensive and I make no apologies for the impact it might have on Andrew or his business.

Very silly man if he's willing to throw 30 years of work and his reputation away for the sake of fifty odd grand, particularly when there's no question that he has the money ......

The problem is that people have to be selfish and get their money back as the priority, when they eventually do they then just want to get on with their lives and it means he can do it again etc...... To do anything meaningful to stop it requires someone who is prepared to spend money on it for the principle alone and its hard for an individual to justify that :dont know:

Pagoda,

I do hope that he pays up even if it is at the 11th hour.
Are you - or anyone else - planning on attending his open day this Saturday? There is something that makes me feel we should be alerting the poor innocents who don't follow this forum that Mearns is a crook. :guard:

Someone tip off The guys at Rip Off Britain. .. :grin:

'Are you planning on attending his open day this Saturday?

Oh yes, i'm attending (have cameras at the ready).

Was going to post something on the 924 Owners Club website (as it's one of their big events) but noticed that the Yorkshire rep is Andrew's General Manager at Gmund so suspect any post would be removed instantly.

'Someone tip off The guys at Rip Off Britain"

On it (plus Watchdog and others).

What is the legal position here?

If a dealer D takes a car on SOR from seller S and then sells it to buyer B. Takes B's money, but doesn't pay seller S, who owns the car?

In England it's generally the buyer. The seller is then owned money by the dealer.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back