Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Water Pump Replacement - how much coolant

DucatiRob

Mugello
Planning to replace my water pump at the weekend, I know there is something like 8 gallons of coolant in the whole system but have read that you only lose around 2 gallons when changing the pump. Anyone done this job, any tips? Will need a bigger bucket if I need to drain 8 gallons :eek:

DucatiRob said:
Planning to replace my water pump at the weekend, I know there is something like 8 gallons of coolant in the whole system but have read that you only lose around 2 gallons when changing the pump. Anyone done this job, any tips? Will need a bigger bucket if I need to drain 8 gallons :eek:

there are some good tutorials about, from memory, I removed engine mounts, there are a couple of difficult bolts to get at on the pump, you almost need a flexi drive. Its possible to snag the gasket while putting the pump back so need to be extra careful. The gasket doesn't look like a gasket, its metal, but it works. Got my pump from Autodoc, excellent price and OEM.

deMort said:
I've never actually measured it but i expect about 7-8 ltrs at most for just the water pump .

Thanks deMort :thumb: sounds about right then!

timbo1811 said:
DucatiRob said:

there are some good tutorials about, from memory, I removed engine mounts, there are a couple of difficult bolts to get at on the pump, you almost need a flexi drive. Its possible to snag the gasket while putting the pump back so need to be extra careful. The gasket doesn't look like a gasket, its metal, but it works. Got my pump from Autodoc, excellent price and OEM.

Cheers timbo, have read a few of the tutorials and there is a good video on Youtube but they never cover everything! Looks a pretty easy job though! Ordered my pump and alternator from Autodoc, good prices. I ordered the Pierburg pump, think they are the OEM manufacturer, and it comes with a new gasket :thumb:

bobi61 said:
did you change the water pump ??

Yes I sis a couple of weeks ago, pita of a job but not difficult! Needed about 6 /7 litres of coolant to top up after :thumb:

I'm currently swapping my 996 pump and always find that a 10L bucket is perfect for draining the coolant to do any jobs on the coolant system front or rear. I always re-use the same coolant I removed as its perfectly clean still but I will filter it before putting it back in.

THE difficult bolt to get out was tricky but I managed it using a short 10mm socket plus 3/8 wobble bar with an extension on it as I couldn't get any kind of ratchet in there and a spanner didn't have any movement.

deMort said:
i was a litre out on my guess !

btw .. June 29 .. meets section .. come say hello :D

In my diary deMort :thumb:

infrasilver said:
I'm currently swapping my 996 pump and always find that a 10L bucket is perfect for draining the coolant to do any jobs on the coolant system front or rear. I always re-use the same coolant I removed as its perfectly clean still but I will filter it before putting it back in.

THE difficult bolt to get out was tricky but I managed it using a short 10mm socket plus 3/8 wobble bar with an extension on it as I couldn't get any kind of ratchet in there and a spanner didn't have any movement.

Took me at least half an hour to undo THAT bolt :x undoing it with a small ratchet was no problem, actually removing it millimetre by millimetre nearly broke me :frustrated:

ahhhh, that bolt!! :x

You want to do the one on a 997.1 Turbo, you can see it but to get at it I had to pull the engine mount plate out of the way.
Couldn't believe the difference in price between OPC and Autodoc, think I saved best part of £300 buying Autodoc's Pierburg pump which is what Porsche fit as std.
It's also a good shout if your buying a 997 to check for weeps around the pump/pipe as there was when I bought my 1st car. Dealer told me it was a weeping pipe which needed refitting and tightening, it wasn't it was the pump which I believe is a £1000 bill from an OPC, for a Turbo as the whole exhaust has to come off.

I refitted my water pump today and after trying every socket and extension combination I could, this was the easiest set up by far and only took me a minute to tighten it back up.

A short 10mm socket 1/2" drive, a T bar with 1/4" drive and a converter from 1/4" to 1/2" inbetween them.

4ccwZgn.jpg

My deep extensions are too long to get in and my normal sockets are too small and the ratchets heads are all too large to be able to spin, even my 1/4" ones, the above was perfect. I extended the T bar a little to actually nip the bolt up at the end.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back