Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Want to improve your handling, read this!

I found fitting the gearbox inserts to be a bigger game changer than my engine mounts. Guess some of that will be down to which are saggiest and contribute most swing :dont know:

Doesn't make sense to do one set of mounts and not the other fixing point.

Alex said:
I found fitting the gearbox inserts to be a bigger game changer than my engine mounts. Guess some of that will be down to which are saggiest and contribute most swing :dont know:

Totally agree. It's odd though that I could only find the gearbox poly bushes from Function First.

Another thumbs up for the RSS ones here, a great addition :D

There's a lot of choice on types. I've just removed my Function Firsts and put RSS in, but not driven since.

It's an easy DIY, you don't even need to jack the car up in my experience.

If your current ones are worn, then a giveaway will be the exhaust tips hanging low, and possibly unevenly. The tops of my exhaust tips are about half an inch under the bumper.

hermes said:
If your current ones are worn, then a giveaway will be the exhaust tips hanging low, and possibly unevenly. The tops of my exhaust tips are about half an inch under the bumper.

Thanks, I will get the tape measure out later today.

ok so this needs to be added to my to do list I'm 1 1/4" gap both sides, think I will go for RS ones I posted earlier as don't want to add a load of vibration but a little extra stiffness sound great.

Alex said:

Can I ask are these what you fitted? are any other parts required to fit them?

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod...t-Mounting-Bush-Insert-Kit-Porsche-996---997/

are there different "grades" i.e. stiffness I don't want to end up with a lot of vibration etc I think I am going for the RS engine mount set and think I will have the gearbox inserts done at the same time.

Thanks in advance,

hermes said:
Phil - interesting to read your comments on the FF mounts. I went from OEM
saggy bottom straight to these, so don't really have any other reference.

I might give the RSS mounts a try out of curiosity.

hermes whats your feedback on the RSS v the FF semi semi solids, and have you found the same as me or do you have a different view .

For those that are also interested in changing the gearbox mount dig up Alex's thread about how he worked with the manufacturer to overcome the extreme NVH from using them and how it was found to come from the surplus poly material making contact and by modifying it and trimming the surplus the NVH was hugely reduced , not sure if all suppliers like Function First followed suit though so there may be a big difference in NVH between suppliers of the gearbox mount so worth getting the right ones first time. Maybe Alex can confirm who it was he worked with as I cannot remember I think it was power flex but not 100% sure.

:thumb: :thumb:

Robertb said:
NLW73 said:
RS mounts are £125 plus VAT plus postage from Type 911

That's good... for a pair? I did check the website but pretty incomprehensible.

@DeMort- how do you know when the mounts are knackered- time based, or can you tell by looking at them?

Sorry .. i lost track of this thread ..

You can see by looking , there should be a gap in the middle of the mount when looking from underneath .. about 4-5 mm ... it's the rubber part that should be raised from the base .

You will also have an indication if the exhaust tail pipes are sitting a bit low from the bumper .

Worst case , they are oil filled and if it bursts then plenty of jet black oil will run down .. this normally happens on removal or refit though and not often when used on the road .

991 and they use a magnetic oil in these mounts , the car can stiffen the mounts when it needs to .. fascinating stuff and overcomes the limitations of just rubber .

They still go wrong though .. sigh .

996 and it's pretty common to see them dropped .. 997 and it's more of a case of just starting to see them dropped .

Well, I'd just set off on a 300 mile drive today, so planned to report on the RSS mounts, but after 5 miles a deer decided to change the plan.....

Attachments

• img_2471_905.jpg
    img_2471_905.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,809
That's a real ***** mate, is it just the bumper or has the bonnet been damaged as well :nooo: those bloody deer are like cyclists on the road with no bloody Insurance :grin:

The bonnet is ok I think, but the crash structure behind the bumper is deformed, so I think it's not going to be a small repair.....

On the upside, my previous encounter almost killed me, so apart from the inconvenience and the inevitable hike in my premiums again I shouldn't complain.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back