Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

200 cell cats vs RSR mufflers

I have the RSR's but a standard Cat, happy with the sound so far but maybe go for the 200 Cell inserts for the standard Cat to avoid fitment issues.

Trev

I love the sound of the RSRs on mine and have been contemplating getting 200 cell cats too.

Out of interest, I think mine might be *significantly* louder than standard on the basis that I had Gert "RSR" the mufflers I previously had on - Dansk Sports sound ones that were horribly droney. Christian (colt) commented as much when I last saw him. I decided I'd see just how loud they are and (admittedly only using an iphone app) they recorded 117.7 db at 5k revs. :eek:

pierrebear said:
I love the sound of the RSRs on mine and have been contemplating getting 200 cell cats too.

Out of interest, I think mine might be *significantly* louder than standard on the basis that I had Gert "RSR" the mufflers I previously had on - Dansk Sports sound ones that were horribly droney. Christian (colt) commented as much when I last saw him. I decided I'd see just how loud they are and (admittedly only using an iphone app) they recorded 117.7 db at 5k revs. :eek:

That does sound loud. Might be a tad distorted reading obviously.

Croydon said:
That does sound loud. Might be a tad distorted reading obviously.

Agreed - might well be distorted especially as only a free iphone app. On the plus side, it doesn't drone like the Dansk ones used to, and I love it. Glad I am not in London anymore. Don't imagine it would be much fun driving it along Waterloo Bridge today!

:floor:

Just returned from Gerts (Carnewal), RSRs, 200 cell cats, Motorsound airbox and big ovals all sorted. Loving the car.

Great work.. I'm planning to go down to see Gert this summer. I have the RSR's tempted by the 100 cell insert. Not sure if they will be too loud over the 200 cells ??

Surinder Randhawa said:
Great work.. I'm planning to go down to see Gert this summer. I have the RSR's tempted by the 100 cell insert. Not sure if they will be too loud over the 200 cells ??

Im no expert but I think it might get a little boomy in the cabin with 100 cells. I had to switch off my engine at the Chunnel booth to hear what the offical was saying re my earlier crossing!

Ian

Yes good point don't want it boomy I'll ask gert its not for the noise but for the performance gain.. !! either that or a complete fabspeed or cargraphic set up

Another vote for 200C and RSRs - awesome combo.

Love mine.

Tbh I think the most you get from exhaust mods is noise. If your old cats are bunged up then you may get a slight improvement. The silencer design is pretty restrictive as standard and some free flow ones will cause unpleasonant resonances usually caused by removing the internal baffle plate.
I have used std, RSR,Dansk sport, Fabspeed and self modded ones.
The worse for boom were Dansk, best sound RSR (higher note) or Fabspeed (lower note)
As for cats; std, Cargraphic x-pipes, Fabspeed xpipes cat and decat.
Cargraphic were crap really badly made.
Fabspeed are beautiful a work of art, the decats are just too noisy and give loads of pops and bangs on overrun.
My current is a full Fabspeed system which is quiet at idle and gives a good throaty roar on wot. It is a bit intrusive at speed but a lot of interior sound deadening has been removed. You can hear the radio motorway cruising but get on the twisties and forget it.
Strange thing is since fitting a Vram manifold everything is a bit quieter.

HI Endoman so your saying the 100 cells or 200 cells don't really give you any performance gain ? what about if you eliiminate the cats and fit bypass or cross pipes ? design911 options are quoting 8-9HP gain and of course the benefit of the reduced weight..

It could all be in my head but my car seems to feel like its picking up a bit quicker now (200 cell cats). Alos If I wanted to upgrade my map at a later date it would work very well im told.

Ian

Surinder Randhawa said:
HI Endoman so your saying the 100 cells or 200 cells don't really give you any performance gain ? what about if you eliiminate the cats and fit bypass or cross pipes ? design911 options are quoting 8-9HP gain and of course the benefit of the reduced weight..

rereading the whole thread is a good idea regarding the 100/200 cell cats etc..

Any claims in the 10-15 bhp region would not be noticeable even if they exist. Don't forget to cash in your old cat they are worth quite a bit as scrap.
What you want is mid range torque and flexiblity for normal use.
My racing MG was completely flat below 4000rpm which made it totally impractical for road use, but it did give 135bhp from 1600cc which was pretty good for an engine from 1958. The 9m heads on a 993 give amazing performance the inlet throats are narrower than std but better flow gives increase in midrange torque and with Motec and RS cams John Spears car produced 350bhp from 3600cc, costa plenty though. IIrc exhaust was standard.
You wouldn't get on track at Oulton with decat pipes, way too loud.
I had RSRs fiited soon after I got the car nearly 20yrs ago and liked them.
Then the cargraphic x-pipes with 200cell cats, never liked them.
A tail pipe broke off the RSRs so I fitted Dansk sports didn't like them either.
So I binned the whole sytem and fitted Fabspeed which I love.
A load of cash wasted and a few lessons learned.

Thanks for the info Endoman will give 9m a call on the header work. RSR engineering was the other option

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ansonslchang
Back