Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help me buy a (decent) 996

Wh1t3Kn1ght said:
Apologies if already been mentioned -

I see a lot of corrosion on the suspension components which means a) they haven't been changed in a long time and b) the car has perhaps been driven throughout the winter and not garaged.

Handbrake is always a problem on cars with the brakes shoes that run on the inside of the brake disc drum. Usually a good service and retension of the cable and shoes will sort it out enough. I had to do this on my 996 and my 944 previously (they share the same handbrake design). Its important to get both sides more or less the same.

Total up how much you think it will cost to put it right (parts + labour if you are unable to do the work yourself) and add it on to the asking price. Then compare that total cost to a more expensive car which has recent history of having the list of jobs carried out.

Its important to buy the best car you can within your budget, don't try and save money by going for a shed and spending £££ getting it to the same level as a more sorted car (not saying that the one you looked at was shed but you get my meaning).

:thumbs:

All good and valid points. I'd say the cars 7.5/10 a shed.

The whole things went pretty sour as I decided I wasn't collecting the car with faulty ABS and SMS have sat on the car for another 2 weeks either not noticing they still have it or not caring. My patience has completely gone so I shared my experience via review and have had a rather annoyed call from SMS..

I can't really tell if I am being unreasonable but saying 10 days then taking 2 months, still not having the car in a fit state and leaving it up to the buyer to constantly chase for updates isn't exactly the best customer experience.

There's a thread over on pistonheads where a guy who seems close to SMS has kicked off at me. So maybe I am being a dick.

...don't worry buddy...they have dicked you around and tbh it did look a little rough...dodged a bullet I'd say...

And used car dealers are a shower of shites generally...very rare to find a decent one...

These are > £20k cars if you want a half decent one...

I've been bought like a mail order bride. Been given a loan of a turbo until the car is ready.

I feel used, dirty and ashamed of myself.

Nah, it's rubbish. I don't like it, don't want one, don't need one .... don't... don't ......... :nooo:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back