Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lightweight flywheel (RPM Technik - CSR)

Jackzi

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at a car that has a lightweight flywheel fitted. It's from RPM Technik and the one they use in their CSR builds.

I've done some basic research about the mechanical side of things and have read that it can cause increased stress on the crankcase. So I'm not sure if it's a good idea if you're not doing a comprehensive engine/gearbox lightening programme.

But here's my question to those who have one/have driven one: does it feel any different?

Is the clutch more sensitive? Is it 'daily driveable' (city traffic, etc.)?

The owner says it makes more noise, but that's all he had to say about it really.

The car is a far way's away from me. So I was hoping to get an impression from the good people on here before I drive it myself.

Yes it will feel different. Immediately noticeable. The engine revs will rise and fall much more quickly and you will have up to 20% more power at the wheels in first gear.

MC

That in itself doesn't sound too bad at all.

But I would imagine some driveability will be sacrificed as a result, right?

If the revs fall quickly that would theoretically mean you'd have to give it more revs when driving in first in stop start traffic.

I run one on my turbo with an upgraded clutch. It takes a bit of getting used to at first but not really a big deal. There is more of a chance of stalling the engine if you are a bit ham-fisted with the clutch. But no downsides as far as I'm concerned. I will be fitting one to the engine for my C4 project.

MC

I have a 996 turbo and have fitted along with a custom clutch,,,,,all good !

Doesn't sound that bad then.

There are a bunch of naff videos on youtube where people try to show the difference, but they're not very helpful.

The clutch is standard in the car I'm looking at.

I'm not a 'driving God' who heels and toes everywhere and the standard cars I've driven up until now were just fine for driveability.

So I'm only worried it might be a pain.

You don't need to be a driving God. In fact it is even easier with a lightweight flywheel as there is less requirement to heel and toe since the engine spins up so much more easily when changing gear.

MC

I cannot or dont need to heel and toe, just keep the boost on bar and hold on LOL

I really dont think you need to worry about anything

I've got a lightweight flywheel in my early 996, yes it's a bit noisier but it's not hugely intrusive.
The more immediate throttle response more than compensates for it and I find it easier to modulate the clutch too.

Go for it :thumbs:

Best mod for driving sensation imho.

First thing I get done on my 911's

I drove an RPM CSR last year when hunting for my first 911. It had the LW fly wheel and was absolutely fine both as a daily and in anger. A touch more revs needed pulling away from standstill needed. Gave the impression of a more motorsport engine.

Ive got the RPM LWFW on mine with their sprung clutch
loved it as a modification that much that even after a freak incident of a stuck starter motor damaged the teeth on mine
i went and purchased another

i live in Notts if thats closer to you your welcome to have a listen and passenger ride in mine :thumb:

Thanks for the opinions and the offer of a listen :)

I'll check out the car in question myself in the next few days and report back.

From what I can tell it makes a fair bit of sense on turbos, as the engine doesn't rev as freely as its naturally aspirated cousin.

Best thing about it all though is that it can be replaced for a dual mass if I don't like it, as the car ticks a lot of other boxes for me.

Jackzi said:
Thanks for the opinions and the offer of a listen :)

I'll check out the car in question myself in the next few days and report back.

From what I can tell it makes a fair bit of sense on turbos, as the engine doesn't rev as freely as its naturally aspirated cousin.

Best thing about it all though is that it can be replaced for a dual mass if I don't like it, as the car ticks a lot of other boxes for me.

I'm starting to get a little excited here .. a possible purchase on the cards :?:

Maybe :D

I'll be in touch mate.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back