Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Marky''s 996.2 GT3 thread.

I doubt it is actually 'better" but I've always had a hankering for that exact car.
What a coincidence eh. You couldn't make it up.

Anyway, because my car was SOR it's a done deal as the previous owner has now been paid etc. So that's that.

So apart from that little bump in the road I shall go and enjoy my weekend as planned. I'd better not look at the blue one when I'm there though. :wink:

That black one will look next level after a decent detail, so don't be too hard on yourself. Maybe stealth is cooler anyways?!

For the record. I know the guy that did all the finishing touches to the showroom you bought your car from.

Small bit of useless info there.

Enjoy the car in good health. Keep the pics and updates coming!

What are the chances of that!!!!

Is there a price differential between the two? Is the blue one SOR as well?

Surely they can maybe work something out. If not then I would not even look at the bluw one when picking it up.

Cheers Marty!
I am going to be the most disappointed person ever to collect their GT3. :grin:
Just kidding. I'm still excited. It's quite funny actually.

Your snippet of info fits right in here as my threads are the 'home of pointless information". :D

Afternoon Graham. There's a price difference of a few thousand but anyway it's by the by now as the owner of my black car has the money in his account so it's not like the dealer can give me a refund or swap the car.

Hey ho. I did actually want a Mk2 from the start. Those mk1s are really slow don't you know.
That's what I'm telling myself anyway. :D

Thought I recognised his handy work from the pic you posted, especially as you had dropped in the Cambridge reference.

As stated earlier, your inputs are anything but mundane.

Not been in a .1 but I have the .2 and they look much better IMO. More horses to boot! Nothing touches black when it's been detailed, in my book anyways.

Look forward to more on the matter as and when :thumb:

The return of Marty Wild said:
Thought I recognised his handy work from the pic you posted, especially as you had dropped in the Cambridge reference.

As stated earlier, your inputs are anything but mundane.

Not been in a .1 but I have the .2 and they look much better IMO. More horses to boot! Nothing touches black when it's been detailed, in my book anyways.

Look forward to more on the matter as and when :thumb:

Yep, black any day of the week.

Congratulations on the new purchase, welcome (back) to the club. I'm sure you'll be enjoying many miles and years with whichever GT3 you end up with :grin:

Personally I'm a sucker for blue, but they're very rare so have become happy with black over the years. There is always the wrap or colour change option too if colour is really that important to you. Although I'm thinking its the rarity value of the blue one that makes you want it more than the actual colour itself... :?:

:thumb:

Yep Marty and Chris. Black is great. Most cars look their best in black. It's just a ***** to keep clean and swirl free, although it's less of an issue when it's just a weekend car. I'm looking forward to seeing it. :)

Hi Roro, I've seen your car on here. Very nice. 8)
Yes you summed it up at the end. It's not so much the colour, lovely though it is, it's the fact it's that colour on only one car.
Am I disappointed? Yes. Will I get over it? Of course.
Cheers. :thumb:

Right so we'll forget that that blue car exists and I'll concentrate on mine again. :D

As I mentioned earlier when I was discussing the car with Jonathan after I viewed it, although I was happy with the actual car, I still hadn't seen the rev range report or the history file. Both of which are pretty important.
Jonathan sent me a pic through -

That's not bad for any 996, let alone a GT3.
My Mk1 was shocking by comparison.

I'll take it we all understand the Rev range thing. Basically the early cars only have two ranges. The later cars (997 onwards) have 6.

In 996s then, range 1 is hitting the Rev limiter when accelerating up through a gear.
Most cars, or certainly a lot of cars will have tens of thousands of range 1's.
These are no problem at all, although seeing zero would be great. :wink:

It's the range 2's that cause the damage. This is when a driver ***** up a downshift and for example, tries to go from 5th to 4th but selects 2nd then dumps the clutch.
The revs rocket beyond the Rev limiter.
This can stretch timing chains or cause all sorts of other damage, some of which may not show itself immediately but many hours of running time later.
Range 2's aren't terrible if they are historic, so say if at least 100 hours of operating time or more has passed, you should have got away with it.
I was very happy to see zero on my car anyway.

The 9686 range 1 ignitions equate to around 24 seconds in total of my engine hitting the limiter over the course of its life. Not perfect but not a deal breaker and that's why the limiter is there, to stop the revs reaching dangerous levels.
The last one occurred at 915 hours out of 925 total operating hours, so about 10 hours ago.
It's unimportant though, as like I say, they aren't the ones to worry about.
I rarely hit the limiter in cars as I'm fairly sympathetic with my stuff, so I do wonder how some people seem to add so many range 1's.

The last bit of info we can we work out from the data is the average speed of my car over its lifetime. It's the total mileage of 42,500 divided by the total operating hours of 925, which equals 46mph. Quite high I thought, so I checked my old Volvo daily banger today and over the last few thousand miles that has averaged 41mph and I drive like a vicar in that thing to be honest. I never get stuck in traffic though.

So like I say I'm pretty chuffed with that ECU data, for a GT3.

So collection day looms.
Me and Craig were going to get the train down but my wife decided last minute to go and spend the long weekend with her family in Colchester, so it's now my wife, Craig and I, plus dogs, travelling down in the old Volvo.
Me and Craig will get out at Cambridge and bring the GT3 back and my wife will continue another hour to Colchester. That way I've done most of the driving for her. She'll have the return leg to do on Tuesday though.

So that's it for now.
The Volvo is loaded and ready for a 6am start.
We'll get back tomorrow night about 6pm I think and we are planning a run out on Sunday up to the Scottish Borders, to see what the GT3 is made of.
My old C2 will be in attendance so that should make for a nice pic.
It's Moto GP this weekend too so a proper lads weekend in store. :)

As ever thanks for reading.
Off to bed now. I only hope I dream about the black one and not the blue one. :?: :grin:

Happy days, all sounds in order! Get a load of pics and hopefully the A14 won't be too bad if you go that way.

Really pleased for you! Will look forward to reading the thread about your new car! Happy Saturday!! :thumbs:

Congratulations Marky! Ever since having a ride out in Nxi20's car I have wanted one of these. They are absolutely superb cars, I can't see you ever being disappointed by it. :worship:

Evenin' chaps. That was a loonnggg day. Fun though.
I was up at 6am and have just got in at 9pm after washing the car.

I'll post up details at some point. Gonna hit the hay now. :sleepy:

A14 wasn't too bad Marty. The weather was at times though, heavy hailstones. Cheers. :thumb:

Hi AB, thanks. Its been a good day although sitting in a straight line for the 250 miles home isn't the best way to enjoy a GT3. :grin:
I hope you're getting some interest in yours. You just need someone who appreciates the parts on it. :thumb:

Hi Mike, thanks for that. Yep I was worried I wouldn't find it 'that" good this time around but they are a riot. :D
Get that blue one bought at Autostore. It's a cracker and really, really tidy. Tidier than mine with less stone chips etc. I wish I could have been driving that one home. Mind you mine is quicker and still a cracking car.

Like I say thanks for the interest lads and I'll do a proper update over the next few days. I've got some mates meeting here at 9am in the morning to head out for a brekkie run.
Car is washed and ready for tomorrow. :D

Hi Graham, cheers, I do love the look of it. Well actually there's not much I don't love about it at this stage. :D
The wheels will be done silver when I fit new tyres, so next summer at the latest. The grey has grown on me mind, but I like the factory standard look. :thumb:

Saturday - Collection day.
Ok, so collection day came and went in a blur, adjusting from night shift and a 6am start.
My wife, dogs, Craig and I piled into the old Volvo and headed to Cambridge. We got there about lunchtime then my wife headed off with the dogs to visit her family in Colchester for the weekend. It's only an hour past Cambridge so it worked out well.
Me and Craig were left at Autostore to collect the GT3.
I haven't got many pics from collection apart from a couple below because as Jonathan opened the doors to pull the car out it began to pelt down with hailstones. Typical. :grin:
Hence we just hopped in and headed for home.

Anyway, this old thing was lying around next to mine. I think it was traded in under the scrapage scheme or something. :D

Just kidding obviously. It was gorgeous and I really wish I'd been able to drive off in that one. Stunning car and colour. Mega rare carbon backed bucket seats plus the carbon interior pack.
Really clean cosmetically. Better than mine to be honest. Like I say, I'd have picked it over mine had I been able to.
Anyway, that wasn't to be, I was here for this one.

Paint was nicely polished with a decent level of correction. Not perfect though and annoyingly there was polish all over the window rubbers and in the panel gaps. Whoever done it cannot call themselves a detailer. Valeter maybe, detailer no way at all.
Never mind, I kind of expected this because no offence to Jonathan but he knew I'd paid for the car and was travelling 5 hours to collect it, so there was no way I would knock it back for a lacklustre polish.
That's one thing I'd say about SOR, the owner wants to spend nothing as he's selling it and the dealer wants to spend nothing as it's not theirs.
I'm not saying they took the pee but I didn't expect perfection and I didn't get it. :wink:
Mechanically though it was sorted and seems tip top. Pretty quick too. More on the spec later.

Anyway a final pic, parked next to the one that got away. Got away slowly mind, as they're really slow those mk1s.
Nope, my self help methods aren't working. :grin:

The drive home was the usual boring motorway slog from that part of the world. We hit plenty of rain, sleet and hail whilst travelling up the A1, but the car performed perfectly. Although it goes without saying a track set up GT3 isn't working in its ideal operating window when sat on a wet motorway in a hail storm, tramlining in the truck grooves.
We had a couple of daft moments just to check the performance, so I hope nothing drops through my letterbox in the next couple of weeks.

Once home it was filthy and covered in salt.
As mentioned earlier I had a run out planned the next day so I had to give it a wash.
It's amazing how much stiffer it is than a C2. My C2 would pick a wheel up when coming off a kerb or something but the GT3 does the old tripod trick at every opportunity. :D

I knew that the front shocks had a misting of oil at the last mot so I needed to clean that off to monitor how bad it is. Annoyingly though, I only managed to get one side done before I had to do the bodywork as it was getting too dark.

So up on blocks to get the jack under.

NSF wheel off to reveal a dirty wheel well.

Plenty of scrubbing and it came up ok.
Obviously it'll need the liners removed for a proper clean at some point.

So then it was wheel back on and wash the rest of the car.

By this time it was almost dark so I called it a day.

Mileage since purchase 240 ish.

More to follow. Cheers. :thumb:

Great collection post and beautiful car Mark - congrats again!
I'll be following the posts and progress on this :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back