Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

It's James Mays fault

resigner

Just got the Top Gear from 2004 when they have the nice new 997.1 C2S coupe in the Isle of Man. James May has just said "Because Porsche have been making 911's for 40 years they are very reliable"

Whooops........

Still, it beats the M6 coupe by miles even with loads less power :)

I saw it yesterday and thought the same. I've said it before and I'll say it again. A 911 in real world conditions performance is equal to another 120bhp. I've run up against New AMG C63's and they start to walk away from me above 3 figures. Before that there is nothing in it.

Yup, wife has a BMW M240i cabrio. It's a fast car, but it has no feeling to the steering, it's just fast in a straight line. It can go round corners quickly, but you don't trust it, because it doesn't tell you what's happening. My 997 is streets ahead, has 20bhp more, but is way way quicker in spirited driving, especially if you throw some corners at it. I do always shake my head when I see things like C63 AMG's. Yes, loads of power, No, you can't use half of it. A 997 is sublime, a precision tool. Everyone should try one out, then there wouldn't be any Golf R's etc on the road!

FZP said:
I saw it yesterday and thought the same. I've said it before and I'll say it again. A 911 in real world conditions performance is equal to another 120bhp. I've run up against New AMG C63's and they start to walk away from me above 3 figures. Before that there is nothing in it.

A 911 on the track is also pretty handy: we could outbrake the big powerful coupes and certainly outcorner them all too. It's only at the end of the straights - once they've built up a head of steam - when they might catch up again.

Plus you'll never get a shag rocking up to the boozer in a C63. :eek:ld:

Alex said:

I'll remember that next time I decide to drive 'up North'....

Sadly, by 2004 "Top Gear" was becoming less about cars/motoring consumer programme & more about the ego's of its presenters, a factor that would continue into "Grand Tour". The UK car buying public want a programme to help them know the truth about brands reliability. Those "in the know" in the industry will have picked up rumours about reliability issues surrounding the Porsche brand & with the M96 engine in particular by 2004. Clarkson's issue with the gear leaver coming off I his hand was just the tip of the iceberg. May's flippant comment perpetuated the now myth that Porsche reputation for solid design & engineering and "hewn from granite" build quality was suspect at the least. I for one as a new Boxster owner from 2001 was in the dark about engine issues when I traded up & ordered a 997 (delivered November 2004).

Alex said:

Does what car you drive really make any difference? Wonder how many on here can say they categorically got lucky due to the Pork they turned up in.

Maybe we need a thread?

Did once get a big big smile from a good looking lady pulling up to a shell on the A14. Normally it's blokes that give the positive feedback (almost wrote love). And very often at petrol stations as it goes.

You're stereotyping Porsche drivers as men.

Example: If this Porsche driver rocked up at your boozer and their identical twin in a C63, which one would you want to go home with?

ZBGsGg4.jpg

Good point, well made.

Alex said:
You're stereotyping Porsche drivers as men.

Example: If this Porsche driver rocked up at your boozer and their identical twin in a C63, which one would you want to go home with?

ZBGsGg4.jpg

Attachments

• bothyay_304.gif
    bothyay_304.gif
    975.7 KB · Views: 2,991
Because then the people with no style have nobody to go home with.

Alex said:
Because then the people with no style have nobody to go home with.
I disagree. There are plenty for all :floor:

Attachments

• 39519414_64230809bf_124.jpg
    39519414_64230809bf_124.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 2,945
Meanwhile in Wilmslow :roll: :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage