Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wax oil removal

FZP said:
Although I can't add anything about removing the sealer, I can say that mixing parafin and diesel oil 50/50 makes a fantastic home made WD40. Great for protecting garden/building tools before,during and after use. Premise it, top some into a small container and apply with a paint brush.

I bet it smells lovely too....

I repaired my wheelarch liners with JB Weld and (so far after a few months) it's been a complete success. It's grey/black too.

I clamped the split parts together and applied a liberal amount of epoxy, I wasn't too concerned about the looks but you could easily put more om the reverse side and make it fairly invisible.

A general plug, JB Weld should be in every toolbox.

Thanks to everyone for the tips. Ive stocked up on white spirits, gloves, brushes and other bits but I think I might leave it for the time being.

Mot's up in June I think, must check, so there's no point in laying the car up for now. I might as well use it from now til then. I've ordered a new clutch from car parts for less and a new rms from porsche Belfast. I'll just bite the bullet at that stage and whip the box out, do all the necessary bits including the brake pipes and clean and treat the chassis in that area for now.

I'd like to be dropping the engine and box at a later stage to sort and paint the engine bay. None of this is for show, it's simply to future proof it for me.
I see mr corn doing some great work so I'll spend some time going through his thread again.

I've stuck a few pictures up on instagram for anyone that wants a look.
More to keeps sort of record as to what I've done.
My account is Ned Hannon

As for all the ideas I have it's more for light restoration than anything so I always appreciate helpful tips
:)

Reading this brought back memories of a situation that might be worth sharing from some time back.... Father and son working in a home garage son in the pit to remove a petrol tank with some fuel still in it, father left son to lower the tank on having taken out the bolts, and removing the filler pipework to allow it to be lowered, father went in to make breakfast, and when ready shouted to the boy to tell him it was ready to serve, no reply........ on dropping the tank to the base of the pit, the petrol fumes dispelled all the breathable air the car it`s self restricting the chance of air change possibilities.... Having worked under cars over many years I can only guess he expected to smell the increasing strength of the fumes though by the time he thought it wise to get out he did not have the strength so to do..... A great shame.

So be very careful folks as not all dangers are immediately obvious.

Aye can't be too careful. Had a similar experience here not so long ago with the carbon monoxide in the house. Can't be too careful

maldren said:
FZP said:
Although I can't add anything about removing the sealer, I can say that mixing parafin and diesel oil 50/50 makes a fantastic home made WD40. Great for protecting garden/building tools before,during and after use. Premise it, top some into a small container and apply with a paint brush.

I bet it smells lovely too....
Partum d'gasolio. Come to think of it, fair chance it could be a poor man's Waxoil

Spent a few hours tonight cleaning around the gearbox area and a little forward of it. I used white spirit and a paint brush at the start but after a while I tried tar and glue remover in a spray bottle, then brushed it. It's a lot cleaner to use as it's not dripping round you so much. Everything looks to be in good order though looking on down the sides at the sills don't look so hot.
I had cleaned some of the waxoil off down the sides already, just what I could reach with the car sitting on the floor. Just a quick going over as I'm going to strip the sealer off. I'm guessing the job will be a little easier with out the waxoil clogging up the wire brushes.

It's just a little bit more of a big job done

:wink:

Attachments

• e806dbaa_b683_42ac_88f2_9d6cb000acac_147.png
    e806dbaa_b683_42ac_88f2_9d6cb000acac_147.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,482
Not a fun job for sure given all the awkward situations that that goo can be sprayed into that now are so difficult to get to.

Perhaps if you can get someone to steam clean it commercially might be much easier on you...?

Take care if using wire brush risks taking paint off on edges, where paint is generally thinnest, if you think a wire brush is best for you then perhaps less damage is risked if a brass wire brush can be used... It takes a measure of determination to take on such a task... Admirable indeed.. Good luck with it.

This is only really the pre clean stage as the sealer has to come off as I want to refinish the whole chassis for the future. I do t want to take into it with a wire wheel when the oil is still on it as I think it will just be a far messier job.

I'm looking at this car with the intention of it being the one I keep. I can sort labour so only have to pay for parts which makes a massive difference in a job like this

Jeez, all credit to your intentions NedHan... though having been there and done something similar more than once. When I lost my first vehicle so restored in an accident there is no way I was compensated for, all the effort put in let alone the cash I spent.... Long before the days of Agreed Value Insurance... NOT that AVI guarantees anything matching generalised expectations of it for some..? Sorry if that thinking is a tad on the negative side but may be worth considering to some degree as forewarned can be fore armed..?

As for resale at any future time with thoughts of investment potential.... I have grave doubts on that score. Though as I have typed elsewhere on this forum making a car into ones idea of perfection can risk diluting a measure of enjoyment in actually driving it and perhaps more so every time the PING of a stone hitting the bodywork may cause you to cringe..let alone the shopping trolley scars.. if ..you are ever forced to use your Porsche for an everyday task as the result of unusual circumstances...??? Nah.. no point in parking it furthest away from the door of the shops where no one parks... as on your return you will find that a Porsche attracts other cars to park around it more than fly`s are attracted to the proverbial.... Sorry I have digressed as ever.. )-:

In my limited experience up to early eighties 911`s Porsche sealing materials were pretty effective thus if I were inclined to remove it I would need to be sure that whatever I intended to replace it with would do the job just as well as a minimum, if not an improvement.... Having removed Porsche applied under-seal I was impressed with it`s rubberised qualities which did a far better job of protection from stone chips than the more usual body shoots, or thin coating of stone chip... I suspect the Porsche stuff may be applied hot thus goes on a lot thicker. The problem I had with it was that if it became deeply scarred, corrosion would then work on the scar causing the under-seal to loose grip and allowing water in behind and providing a pocket in which the mix of salt and water was held up against the bodywork and could do it`s worst to spread under the coating... I have posted old pics of such 911 SC corrosion in the recent past.

I suspect the only reason I might have to remove sealer would be if I suspected it was not Porsche applied and may have been used in a suspected repair process that may not quite meet Porsche standards...

On the other hand I have known skilled folk determined to improve either their m/cycles, cars, boats, houses etc. etc. etc. who have done a great job spent loads of time, personal effort and cash in the process, which worked out very well for them. As I have eluded to, I have done a bit of that myself, though sometimes it does not work out well in the long term as material choices can be perhaps more complex than hoped for and given in this case Porsche have been at it for some considerable time gaining expertise in material choices to extend longevity when compared to some other marques...I wonder if it is relatively simple to find matching or better material specs .

Admittedly I have ZERO up to date experience relative to the more recent decision making processes in manufacturing that involve risk management in ever higher degrees, along with other cost cutting processes, dare I mention a certain recent aircraft design...OUCH !!

I wish you every success in your aims, as for their worth... time will tell.. but I think I understand the real value of a challenge that so many of us take on, in which others question our sanity, while they sit on the couch... :?:

Very nice Luddite. Some excellent points. I'm expecting to have some repair work to do when the sealer comes off. I have no intention of building a show car that I can't use. All I intend to do is fix it up to the best I can and keep it good for the years to come as I have no intention of selling it. It will need some paint on the top side but I'm putting that off for a year or 2 as I just don't have the cash.

I have no idea of what products I'll use so I'm all ears for tips

NedHan I am pleased that you found something of interest in my rambling... I have no issues with garage queen vehicles or their owners priorities for them, that they can enjoy them in their own way would seem to be the all important aspect of ownership.

Given I have only covered circa 25k miles in my fun car in 16 years who am I to criticise anyone..though a very long term self build house extension and restoration project kinda took over much of my "spare" time for way too long.. But I have been working on re-commisioning the old car now that the weather has warmed up. The challenge will be to see if I can still get in and out of it..if not I will be looking for a 911... (-:

Seems many 911 and other classic car owners may limit themselves to 3k miles a year for a variety of reasons that work well enough for them, I managed circa 4k miles on one European holiday trip in my old car a few years back.. Perhaps best enjoy what we can while we can... :?:

My car doesn't get out of the garage much but that's more down to my own personal circumstances more than anything else. I enjoy working on it as much as using it(almost :floor: )

I put a few hours in last night again. This time inside the rear arches. The sealer on most of it is in great condition so I may not strip it all. The section closer to the arch will have to be stripped as it's split in a few places although the metal still looks good underneath. The rear of the arches will need attention but I knew that already so atm I'm happy enough with my findings

Attachments

• d9185cb5_1d7d_4313_9706_5488ebd09846_210.png
    d9185cb5_1d7d_4313_9706_5488ebd09846_210.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,269
Nedhan, that looks to be very clean indeed.. (-: I can well understand your plan for your Porsche and at least some of the motivation behind it. As I have typed elsewhere on this forum I stripped the engine and gearbox out of a friends SC Sport some years back in order that he and his very competent wife could clean EVERYTHING and boy did they both put in tremendous effort in that process. When the time came to put the engine and box back in I thought I needed to wear gloves in order not to leave finger prints on it, the alloy had been given a mirror finish... Unfortunately in the climate hereabouts it did not take too long before it tarnished even with very little usage..which seemed a real pity, but then again I suppose there may be varnishes and the likes that could have protected all their efforts..Though finding varnishes that can take the heat of an engine bay over any length of time...hmm..???

I can remember a time when customary practice for car showrooms would be to apply tyre black paint to tyres that were past their best, then with the passage of time and introduction of steam cleaners, a quick blast in the engine bay to clean off all the grime and a spray can of some kind of cheap varnish on the air cleaner and rocker covers, rejuvenated some old former private taxi into a one owner carefully maintained pile of junk....(-: Add a bit more time and all sorts of wonder automotive finishes appeared on the market like Son of a Gun, which if I remember correctly was an STP product and boy did it make a dashboard shine up wonderfully well, as it also did to upholstery.... though you had to slow down in corners as your own rear end had little grip in the overly shiny seats... Perhaps not a bad thing for early 911 owners...(-:

I think that perhaps some of these once high profile products were in time found to have detrimental effects on the surfaces to which they were applied making them harder to re-clean... Also trying to remove peeling lacquer on an engine seems like no fun whatsoever... Kinda like the difference between the look of old Brit m/cycles alloy engines when compared to the seventies Jap stuff that looked hideous once the paint and lacquer started pealing off to reveal the unpolishable pot base metal that they had used... hmm..

I had the cooling fan, rocker covers and all the tin ducting around the engine in my early eighties SC powder coated in a mix of red black and white, though the white was a tad ..err..bling more so with the replacement stainless steel silencers...!!! Photo elsewhere on this forum... yeah a bit OTT... and the clever guys determine that powder coating the fan is a less than ideal solution given the metal it is made of sheds that coating in time... how much time..? It might be handy to know to judge whether worthwhile or not.. for that fan and casing can sure look more at home in a washing machine than the engine bay of one of the worlds finest sports cars... incoming..!!!!!!

Today... I expect that there will be far more choice in terms of materials to protect and beautify all the effort dedicated folk put in to removing as many of the years of usage from old machinery as they can.... It could seem a reasonable idea to ask folk to list what they have found to work well in any and all such processes, to help those just starting out with their various projects..?

As for deriving some form of pleasure from that which may or may not be termed a garage queen by others.... I am perhaps more affected than I care to thing for I have just parts of cars around my garage which I keep and value for some reason... A set of ALL-FIN brake drums from a 55 TR2... a Morgan 2 litre engine, 911 engine cover, steering rack and more besides.... as our American cousins might say... go figure... (-:

So you see NedHan you seem to be following a well trodden path that very many have instinctively been drawn to before and for a multitude of their own reasons, enjoying the process would seem to be all that really matters.. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back