Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lumpy when cold

acer54

My 3.2 V6 is always a bit lumpy when cold but once it's warmed up it goes like a rocket, any ideas as to what could be causing it?

i'm afraid that's an absolute needle in a haystack ..

Fouled plug , old plugs poor injector spray pattern ... a coil faulty , secondary air injection fault .. valve timing .. i could go on to be honest ..

I would sit there looking at the engine values on a tester and probably over several mornings to try and figure out what might be causing it .

not something i can give an answer to :(

deMort said:
i'm afraid that's an absolute needle in a haystack ..

Fouled plug , old plugs poor injector spray pattern ... a coil faulty , secondary air injection fault .. valve timing .. i could go on to be honest ..

I would sit there looking at the engine values on a tester and probably over several mornings to try and figure out what might be causing it .

not something i can give an answer to :(

It's not registering any codes either which makes it more difficult to diagnose as well.
All plugs were changed last October and coil packs on cylinders 2,3 and 6 were changed (maybe the unchanged coil packs should be changed)?

MarkGolf said:
Going back to my VR6 days, lumpy when cold was always an air leak after the MAF or secondary air pump.

I'll have that checked, also it's been pointed out if the idle speed is the same hot or cold and I can confirm that it is, opinion is that it should be elevated during a cold start until engine is up to temperature.
Once engine is up to normal temperature it runs normally.

Yeah, VR6's do that, funnily enough, I spent yesterday adjusting the cold idle on my VR6. In the current temp, it idles at 1050 on the cold map and then drops to just below 800.

I used to have an issue with being lumpy when cold and resolved that over Christmas by replacing the intake manifold gasket.

1 big thing I forgot which effects the VR6, R32, is the PCV, these always break and introduce an air leak.

Provided the plugs/coils aren't old, then the above would be where I'd be looking.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back