Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

rdodger said:
Are you going to remove bearing seal or leave it in place?

If you do remove It would be interesting to see what grease if any is still in there.

I will remove it. Going to wait until the new seal arrives so might be later this week. I love the suspense :)

MC

MisterCorn said:
rdodger said:
Are you going to remove bearing seal or leave it in place?

If you do remove It would be interesting to see what grease if any is still in there.

I will remove it. Going to wait until the new seal arrives so might be later this week. I love the suspense :)

MC

Do you mean you are replacing the seal on the bearing or the cover?

The seal and o-ring for the cover. I will be popping the seal off the bearing and ditching it.

Tappet chest cleaned in parts washer and dishwasher...

MC

Inspirational as always.

It inspired my to take mine for a drive.

Top stuff :thumb:

Thanks for putting together the Cup cable video 👍

steve r said:
Thanks for putting together the Cup cable video 👍

No problem, I hope it makes sense and is useful.

MC

rdodger said:

It will be full of dirty looking oil like mine was. Flipping the outer seal allows this oil from the IMS tube to pass through the bearing and get refreshed.

Tkd9el0.jpg

I don't like to butt in with obvious points but just to be on the safe side ..

If you have altered the position of the vario cam unit .. removed it etc then dry fit the cam cover and make sure the solenoid is central in the cam cover hole .. i've seen them shifted to one side before and it causes leaks .. mechanic should have removed cover and adjusted it but hadn't .

There is a left and a right handed thread tool for locking these down .. i had assumed they were always like this but im afraid i just follow instructions so don't really know if it was the same at one point .

When you wind the 13mm nut back on the ims .. put a bit of sealant under it .. just in case the small seal gets damaged this will stop any further leaks .

Shaft play and its up down .. in / out and spin.. at least that's how i do it but its pretty obvious when there is wear :)

Cheers deMort your input is always greatly appreciated. You are the expert. I'm mainly making it up as I go along.

MC

wasz said:
rdodger said:

It will be full of dirty looking oil like mine was. Flipping the outer seal allows this oil from the IMS tube to pass through the bearing and get refreshed.

Same here:

20151223_190516_zpsedvssbpu.jpg

After some discussion, it was thought a good idea to add in the rev ranges and rev checking like on the later cars. This is being done in the instrument cluster so it is independent of the ECU being used. There are six ranges set up, which can be set for any desired RPM value. The system counts the number of ignition events in each range and stores the number along with the time in seconds that the event occurred at.

You can see the RPM at the top of the screen, and the counts and times for the rev ranges as the values are increased.
MC

New o-ring and outer seal have arrived, along with the two sealing washers for the tensioners. I will also be fitting new viton o-rings for the tensioners but these are coming from another source and haven't arrived yet.

Cover removed from the IMS bearing, all looks nice and clean inside, but no sign of any grease as expected.

Cover put back in place after fitting the new o-ring to the shaft.

Bolts all cleaned up and refitted with some Loctite thread sealant on them.

Centre nut refitted, again with Loctite thread sealant.

MC

So did you pack the bearing with grease or what is the idea there?

Also on a random 1, is there much to removing the front wings? I'm guessing it's only a matter of bolts along the top, probably 1 down at the sill and 1 behind the bumper?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back