Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A cautionary tale when buying from an OPC

If anyone looking at this thread has a concern about a car they are looking at, they can PM me with the details I'll happily share what I know.
But all they need to do is ask the dealer - the salesmen are sharks but I don't think they would be stupid enough to lie to your face, especially if you ask for confirmation in writing/email.

Reminds me when I was about to do the dough on a GT4 at a Non-OPC dealership on SoR. Asking the question whether it had seen any track use given it was comfort spec "I can't say for sure Sir, but I don't think so as it was used for Euro commutes given its 21k miles"

OK, so I get 'my man' to take a look. Two bald rear tyres, fronts marginally more than Kojak, heavy clutch (indicative of needing a replacement), gravel rash INSIDE alloy wheels and enough stone chips that could only be replicated by following a gritter for 1000 miles :roll:
My Colini Stick was already twitching when I was informed he was selling it as he'd bought a Caterham with track support :eek:

I offered £10k less than asking 3 months ago. :weed:

sc650 said:
The salesman knew the history ok, that was obvious by his response when he got caught out........
"that got past me and I must apologise for not stating this to you prior"

You are absolutely right about dodging a bullet - it would have been significantly worse to have found out after I'd bought it...!!

Had you bought the car, I think they would have just dismissed it, as the car was within the standards of their used car programme

dodging a bullet and then some

When I bought my Porsche Approved 997.2 from an OPC, it was only by sheer accident, that at collection I noted that the brake fluid service was almost due. The OPCs initial response was that it was still within PA spec so was not done as part of the sale (it had 2 weeks remaining before it wouldn't be!). I pushed and said I wanted it changed. Off they went and came back with 'good and bad news" The brake fluid had in fact been changed but the book not stamped. But even though the book had been stamped for a major service, just done, the car had not been serviced! Had I never skimmed thru the service book, only because they gave it to me while waiting, I wouldn't have known for another 2yrs. Lucky I saved myself that argument.

I gather that this is why you avoid cars 911's with the Powerkit - they've either been press cars or they've been used at the PEC.

Mind you I didn't even think of the next owner when I ragged a 900 mile old 991 3.4 Carrera (with the lovely sport techno wheels) round the PEC track for 45mins, as fast as I could make it go! The instructor said it didn't even need a cool down lap, despite the oil being over 130 degrees C and the brakes grumbling with the heat. When I got out - I had melted all 4 tyres. He told me that I'd done well, normally only the instructors push them that hard! They just don't care ....

sc650 said:
The reason I'm writing is to warn others of the poor experience that I've recently had from an OPC by giving you something to think about - I won't be naming the dealer in question as my money was returned in full but the whole experience was quite an eye opener.

I recently saw a beautiful (and very expensive) car for sale on Porche's approved used website.
It was just over a year old with low miles and was everything I was looking for.
I spoke to the dealer, put down a holding deposit then made the 240 mile round trip to view the car.
It was stunning.
I was told that it had been a Porsche management car and because of its high value would have in all likelihood only been driven by a Director or Dealer Principle. A part ex figure was agreed for my car and we shook hands on a deal.
There were a couple of items that needed doing on the vehicle and a collection date was set for around 3 weeks.
During the next few days I was browsing through this website, looking in the section relating to my new purchase, when completely by accident I came across a photo of (what I believed to be) the car at the Porsche Experience Centre in Silverstone.
As you can imagine I was somewhat horrified bearing in mind what I'd been told of its history.
More emails with the dealer confirmed my findings so I asked a number of questions:
How long had the car spent at Silverstone?
How much wear was there on the ceramic brakes?
How many launch control starts had it done?
Had the gear box oil been changed?

The car had in fact done all of its just under 4000 miles on the track.
The ceramic discs were 2/3 worn.
The car had done 361 launch control starts.
The gearbox oil hadn't been changed.

By now the beautiful car that I had imagined owning was somewhat tainted, especially as the OPC would not replace the discs (they were within Porsche tolerance) though they did offer to change the oil....!!

I'm well aware that these sports cars are designed to be driven hard but the wear and tear on bushes, bearings etc after a year on the track, let alone a potential £20k bill for brake parts in the future, was unacceptable to me when the car was being marketed at top money and the dealer had catagorically misled me about its history.

They say that every day is a learning day, my deposit was returned in full but I will never buy another car (even from a main dealer) without delving into its full history first.

Wow! That makes interesting reading! I have just joined this site as I am taking delivery of a used 992 Carrera S today from an OPC. I have asked about the previous ownership history of the car but not specifically about the possibility of it being used at the PEC so will be asking that question before parting with any cash. It's also interesting to note the comments about cars which are PA and the comments about service history. I have had several Boxsters and two Macans and the story about the brake fluid change and 'good and bad news" does not surprise me at all. There have certainly been times in the past where I have been suspicious about things my OPC has told me.

Salty said:
sc650 said:
The reason I'm writing is to warn others of the poor experience that I've recently had from an OPC by giving you something to think about - I won't be naming the dealer in question as my money was returned in full but the whole experience was quite an eye opener.

I recently saw a beautiful (and very expensive) car for sale on Porche's approved used website.
It was just over a year old with low miles and was everything I was looking for.
I spoke to the dealer, put down a holding deposit then made the 240 mile round trip to view the car.
It was stunning.
I was told that it had been a Porsche management car and because of its high value would have in all likelihood only been driven by a Director or Dealer Principle. A part ex figure was agreed for my car and we shook hands on a deal.
There were a couple of items that needed doing on the vehicle and a collection date was set for around 3 weeks.
During the next few days I was browsing through this website, looking in the section relating to my new purchase, when completely by accident I came across a photo of (what I believed to be) the car at the Porsche Experience Centre in Silverstone.
As you can imagine I was somewhat horrified bearing in mind what I'd been told of its history.
More emails with the dealer confirmed my findings so I asked a number of questions:

By now the beautiful car that I had imagined owning was somewhat tainted, especially as the OPC would not replace the discs (they were within Porsche tolerance) though they did offer to change the oil....!!

I'm well aware that these sports cars are designed to be driven hard but the wear and tear on bushes, bearings etc after a year on the track, let alone a potential £20k bill for brake parts in the future, was unacceptable to me when the car was being marketed at top money and the dealer had catagorically misled me about its history.

They say that every day is a learning day, my deposit was returned in full but I will never buy another car (even from a main dealer) without delving into its full history first.

Wow! That makes interesting reading! I have just joined this site as I am taking delivery of a used 992 Carrera S today from an OPC. I have asked about the previous ownership history of the car but not specifically about the possibility of it being used at the PEC so will be asking that question before parting with any cash. It's also interesting to note the comments about cars which are PA and the comments about service history. I have had several Boxsters and two Macans and the story about the brake fluid change and 'good and bad news" does not surprise me at all. There have certainly been times in the past where I have been suspicious about things my OPC has told me.

Out of interest, see if it was registered at Porsche U.K. Reading.

OPC have been doing this for years. Porsche Retail group ie West London, Mayfair, and Hatfield are by some distance the worst.

Norfolk & Idea said:
Salty said:
sc650 said:

It was stunning.

Out of interest, see if it was registered at Porsche U.K. Reading.

Thanks,will do :thumb:

Desert Dragon said:
OPC have been doing this for years. Porsche Retail group ie West London, Mayfair, and Hatfield are by some distance the worst.

Interesting. If I were buying used from an OPC again, the PEC question would be my first.

Norfolk & Idea said:
Desert Dragon said:

Interesting. If I were buying used from an OPC again, the PEC question would be my first.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have just had an email from the Sales executive confirming that the car has not been used at PEC.

Salty said:
Norfolk & Idea said:
Desert Dragon said:

Thanks for the replies guys. I have just had an email from the Sales executive confirming that the car has not been used at PEC.

Happy days. That would do for me :thumbs: Enjoy!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back