Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help me buy a (decent) 996

Yeah, they took the car in as a part-ex against an Audi Q5 with no service history as the previous owner who had the car since 2011/12 lost it. Supposedly he later contacted them after finding it during a house move (the 996 was traded against the Q5 due to a new baby).

I spent about an hour going through all the history. Original book with matched VIN sticker and any receipts with reg or VIN match up (had one reg change to a private plate during it's life). I made the mistake of buying a car with dodgy history once before. Book stamps stop in 2012 but there's a stack of receipts from 2001 right through for various work including receipts from SP Autobahn in Stirling.

I'm away with work at the moment and off on a family holiday for a few weeks on Saturday so I won't be chasing them. It'll be interesting to see if and when they contact me and I'm still not sure I'll go with it when they do.

Just been reading through this whole thread - sounds like you've gone about this exactly the right way UncleP - let us know updates as you get them :)

And so another 2 weeks pass and still no car.

Just speaking directly with DT regarding the car now. The latest is that when they took it a longer run to check all was well the ABS kept kicking in on the rear. They replaced the ABS sensor but no success. Removed the rear driveshafts to check the rings as these had been replaced and are now replacing the ABS pump.

If we keep going it'll be a new car by the time they're done.

I guess that can only be a good thing, even with the extended wait. It should be a nice fresh car once you've got the keys.

If this continues it will be a new car by the time you pick it up!

Glasgow 911SC said:
I guess that can only be a good thing, even with the extended wait. It should be a nice fresh car once you've got the keys.

I was initially undecided on whether it was a good or a bad thing and I did lose the plot and get a bit shouty at Scottish motors last week. More to do with the vague updates I was getting. I'm now just talking directly with DeutschTek and to be fair to both companies they are being professional about the whole thing.

DT said they were not happy to put the car out with the ABS pulsing intermittently. I spoke to them again yesterday and after replacing the ABS sensor and flipping the driveshafts (fault is only on the rear passenger wheel) they are now sure it's the ABS pump as the fault remained on the passenger side after switching the shafts. I asked if they would send it to be rebuilt but they have said they would prefer to replace it and were waiting for a sign off on the extra cost from SMS.

I admit there is still a temptation to walk but having looked at 2 other local cars (both nails) in the last 2 weeks the work that is being done to this one is starting to look like a real bonus.

I think I spotted the car in one of the nearby office car parks on the way to work this morning, unclep. Is the work now complete?

Nope, not complete and I don't have the car.

They've ordered an ABS pump from America, presumably to save a few quid. They said I could take the car away and bring it back to be done as they could deactivate the ABS. Obviously I wasn't happy with this. So I've left it.

Been to look at a few other cars but not convinced my budget will get something I'm happy with. Now considering splitting the budget on a new motorcycle and an easier to find car. Whole experience has been a bit *****.

Sounds very much like my experience with the jag I bought from them , took weeks to prepare it , when I finally got it it was a bag o shite .
I wouldn't give up on the 996 though , I love mine so far , just feels special to drive . There must be something out there with your name on it 😀

Yeah, looking back it's been almost 2 months, which is a hell of a long time to (not quite manage) to do all the necessary work. I've possibly been quite harsh on them as I tend to take the view everyone is trying to pull a fast one. But my god! It can't be that hard to get selling a used car right.

The right car has to be out there but it's a needle in a hay stack and it's made more difficult as I struggle for the time to travel to view.

Starting to wonder if a Cayman will be easier to source. And (prepare the flame suit) a TTRS is starting to look like a simple and sensible solution.

UncleP said:
a TTRS is starting to look like a simple and sensible solution.

I've been looking at these. Quite appealing at the price point. Lots of tech to go wrong though, and MOT history check often throws up advisories on the rear shocks which being mag ride are expensive...

I think it's just the nature of buying old fast cars cheap. I'd see the 911 through to completion and then decide. You've come this far...

Apologies if already been mentioned -

I see a lot of corrosion on the suspension components which means a) they haven't been changed in a long time and b) the car has perhaps been driven throughout the winter and not garaged.

Handbrake is always a problem on cars with the brakes shoes that run on the inside of the brake disc drum. Usually a good service and retension of the cable and shoes will sort it out enough. I had to do this on my 996 and my 944 previously (they share the same handbrake design). Its important to get both sides more or less the same.

Total up how much you think it will cost to put it right (parts + labour if you are unable to do the work yourself) and add it on to the asking price. Then compare that total cost to a more expensive car which has recent history of having the list of jobs carried out.

Its important to buy the best car you can within your budget, don't try and save money by going for a shed and spending £££ getting it to the same level as a more sorted car (not saying that the one you looked at was shed but you get my meaning).

:thumbs:

Griffter said:
UncleP said:
a TTRS is starting to look like a simple and sensible solution.

I've been looking at these. Quite appealing at the price point. Lots of tech to go wrong though, and MOT history check often throws up advisories on the rear shocks which being mag ride are expensive...

I think it's just the nature of buying old fast cars cheap. I'd see the 911 through to completion and then decide. You've come this far...

I see lots of people take out the mag-ride shocks and fit coil overs to save money when they fail. Sounds like a good option to me :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back