Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PSE Exhaust Actuator Replacement!

Ducky

Hockenheim
So I posted last weekend about my PSE problem and it looking like the actuator had failed. So the part turned up in the week from Design911 and I thought as I was off work today (Monday) I would try and change it over.

I've seen a few write ups on the web about removing the exhaust etc, but I thought as all the bolts are pretty well corroded, I didn't want to disturb them and possible snap stuff, which would then cause Porky to be off the road longer than needed.

I guess that if I removed the bumper and heatshield I should be able to access the valve ok. :?:

So I stuck Porky in the garage (normally sits on the drive) and set about removing the bumper...not many screws although the ones located in the top of the arch are a bit of a pig to access, I ended up jacking the car up a bit to help get my screwdriver in.

So can see here I got the bumper off!

Managed to find a handy support for the bumper too...(bike's good for something else). :D

Having removed the bumper this then exposed the heat shield.

Couple of nuts and bolts later and it comes away easily, it's actually quite a large piece when you have it off the car.

Removing the shield exposed the PSE valve, which was great (I'd already pulled off the hose). The nuts were very corroded and it was only held on by two as one had corroded away totally! I did have to cut off one of the remaining nuts too.

So then I removed the valve and it became apparent where the fault was... :D The rod had broken off, so when closed the valve retracted ok and the rod was left to 'float' and the exhaust flap could rattle around.

I was happy now knowing it was the actuator at fault, and so carried on fitting the new one. I used a new jubilee clip on the vacuum line too, as the old one was corroded.

I decided to give the heat shield a quick wash and clean up while it was off, and as I had some C4 lying around, I figured I'd give the plastic a quick coat with that and then refit it.

Having refitted the shield, I decided to give the other areas a quick clean also (behind lights/exhaust tips etc). So now at least it's all nice in those areas.

Then it was a case of refitting the bumper, I actually had to do this twice :frustrated: as I forgot to reconnect the parking sensors first time around! Still I got there in the end! :)

And finally a video showing it all working! :grin: Engine is cold so I'm only giving it small blips!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwwE9_1dg_M

Great write up.

That'll come in handy when I fit my PSE this weekend.

:thumbs:

Very similar to my main issue I had, just that my rod broke the other end and was weldable.

Can't remember why but replacing the actuator was not the favourite plan of a action. Are they different perhaps on the 987?

I had a similar problem on one of mine, I fixed it by using a spring to hold the rod against the actuator. I'll fix it properly at some point!!

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back