Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine mounts

acme

Sao Paulo
So after 11 years of ownership it's finally time to replace the engine mounts, one of the few mods left to do!

I thought the standard replacement on a C2 was C4's, but my learned friends Citori and RobIpswich have suggested wevo (blues) I believe.

Question is has anyone experience of these, and where's best to get them or indeed the C4's.

Note I have FSD's so I'm clearly not interested in a rock hard ride.

Also is it worth doing the gearbox one at the same time?

Thanks as ever in advance for thoughts, advice and even pi** taking!

Cheers

Stick with the C4s and leave the gearbox mount alone. It's a difficult job on rwd and they have an easy life unlike the engine mounts.
I have RS engine and gearbox mounts a noticeable increase in transmission noise.

I have the rennline semi solid mounts using the softest option. They are excellent

My car has 110K under its belt, and the C4 mounts made a very worthwhile difference to the car's handling by being better at restraining the engine's movement.

The front (gearbox) mount is also on the list for replacement and is undoubtedly worn, with visual perishing.

At 25 or so years old, if we want our cars to handle like new-ish ones, these items need to be renewed.

I am also planning to do the engine mounts on my C2 and have been recommended to use the RS ones. However noise and vibration concern me and from the comments above it seems there is an increase.

My usage is as a road car and in a bid to keep it original I have considered using the original C2 mounts but they are considerably more expensive.

If I go down the C4 route are there any differences at all that have been noticed with ease of fitting, noise or vibration and also longevity. From photographs the C4 mounts appear a little shorter and for some reason the C2 mounts are left and right versions. Any thoughts appreciated.

Mike_993 said:
I am also planning to do the engine mounts on my C2 and have been recommended to use the RS ones. However noise and vibration concern me and from the comments above it seems there is an increase.

My usage is as a road car and in a bid to keep it original I have considered using the original C2 mounts but they are considerably more expensive.

If I go down the C4 route are there any differences at all that have been noticed with ease of fitting, noise or vibration and also longevity. From photographs the C4 mounts appear a little shorter and for some reason the C2 mounts are left and right versions. Any thoughts appreciated.

I have the C4 mounts in my C2, I changed them at120K miles. Excellent upgrade and no difference in noise levels. I noticed straight away the difference in clutch pickup .... the car felt a lot smoother on pull off.

If you're an FSD man then I'd say go C4's, I put these on my Targa, pretty much the same as the C2's visually but I don't think they carry the liquid that the C2's do which are very expensive.

Fitting wise is pretty much the same, however the thick (shaped)washers do not fit into the c4 mounts so you will have to spin them round. Other than that it's plug and play.

New gearbox mount is a tough job with engine/box in situ, in fact it was pesky with gearbox on the bench.

Trev

I have the C4 mounts in my C2, I changed them at120K miles. Excellent upgrade and no difference in noise levels. I noticed straight away the difference in clutch pickup .... the car felt a lot smoother on pull off.[/quote]

I fitted the C4 mounts in my 2S, excellent result with no downsides!

Didn't realise how worn the C2 mounts were until I fitted these, rear was so much more stable and the engine lifted almost an inch!

Thank you for your replies and advice for which I am very grateful. This forum is really great and a good 993 contingent.

Seems C4 is definately the way to go so will order these in. As an aside anyone fitted Dansk suspension arms / wishbones? Heritage VW sell them.

Mike_993 said:
Seems C4 is definately the way to go so will order these in. As an aside anyone fitted Dansk suspension arms / wishbones? Heritage VW sell them.

I did contemplate them but ended up going for Porsche in the end, mostly new but some refurbed but all Porsche.

Trev

RS mounts are cheaper than C2 mounts, but to be honest I didn't notice any dufference in noise or stability.

My car still "wobbles" when I am idling at traffic lights, which I was very surprised at after changing the mounts.

Maybe its time for a suspension refresh. Those too are 25yrs old!

If anyone wants a set of 993 RS engine mounts PM me :D

I'm running Wevo Semi-Solid Mounts and very happy with the increased rigidity over the worn originals. Solid/RS Mounts may be a tad too much for regular road use IMO.

C.

Thanks for all the feedback fellas.

If I go the C4 route any suggestions where best to get them?

I'm assuming Wevo's are only via Wevo themselves?

Cheers

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back