Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4S Engine noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the replies, I'm really impressed with the response rate.

So, I got home from work checked the oil, it was really low, went down to my local Tesco petrol station and got Mobil 1 oil 1litre (only place and only oil available at short notice), and topped it up so the gauge read two bars from the top after having been run warm.

Didn't notice any smoke this time on start up. The tapping noise is there but less, can't hear it all when sat in the cabin, I didn't drive it just ran it for a bit whilst the engine warmed up (which I know you're not supposed to do), car is locked in the garage with my WRX blocking it in so a bit of a pain in the evening to start playing musical cars, especially with the neighbours.

The car was last serviced 2 years ago, (major) about 6,000 miles. The AOS was changed in February 2019, just 800 miles ago. I called up the indie that did it, spoke through the issue they said the car was all good when it left them.

Not sure what to make of it, maybe the intermittent driving, being parked up for 3 weeks, low on oil or a combination of the three?

I'm confident the car has been looked after, significant documentation and service history is comprehensive.

I've got a minor service planned and brake fluid change so may find out a bit more in the coming days.

BTW... I was absolutely fixated on getting a 997 then incidentally when I went to view one I saw a 996 C4S parked on the same street and was star struck. I'm so glad I went for the 996 C4S in the end, it is just achingly beautiful to look at from any angle and even if it costs me a fortune to fix it I'll do it rather than pass it on to someone else. This is a keeper !!

That could piston slap and you could have bore scoring ? Could be a sticky lifter or tappet?

Chuck some Wynn's hydraulic lifter stuff in there to free up the lifter as they are probably original

Has it just started and you did not hear anything when you bought it?

That noise, the sooting of the left bank and then the smoke on start up are classic marks of bore scoring. The fact it's used more oil than usual is. normally a sign that it's on the way. I hope I am wrong though andit's just a lifter

The noise will get louder if it's bore scoring and piston slap

Can you get under the car and get a video of the under side ? If the noise is less loud there then it will be tappets.

The only way you are going to get a swift and comprehensive answer is to get a scope into the bores, then get someone who knows what they are looking at to examine the pictures.

I had this done on mine, even though it's an early 3.4 which are not meant* to score, and it gave me a clean bill of health. We eventually tracked the noise down to a blowing exhaust gasket (sometime later!)

*But still, if you are checking things it has to be on the list

I've had the engine checked, turns out there is bore scoring on Cylinder 6.

It looks like an engine rebuild is needed. I've been in touch with Hartech already, a full job including doing all the cylinders linings, new pistons and all other items that could go bang in the future is £10k + VAT.
It will take me around 2-3 years to save up for that, not so bad given it took me 7 years from thinking about getting a Porsche to actually buying it, another 2 summers will fly by.

I'm philosophical about it, I wasn't in a position in my life where I could drive this car more than once a month because of work/travel, I guess these things happen for a reason, life goes on, no-one died, I'll nurse it along and start putting a bit aside each month and report back in 2022...(hopefully when these cars are worth a lot more).

:bye: for now.

Nightmare, really sorry to read this at such an early point in your ownership.

What are you going to do- mothball it til you've saved up the funds? Get it really clean and enter some concours for year or two?

Glad you have such a positive outlook. The good news is that after the rebuild you will have a car that will last longer than the legal use of ICE cars!

And maybe have a chat with Hartech about a 3.9 litre conversion... costs not a lot more as part of a rebuild. :wink:

That's very bad luck. As someone looking for a c4s right now, this is a massive wake up call for me. Especially as i suspect you bought (from your description) a car you considered to be in robust order and with a good solid history.

Feel for you at a time with your 911 enjoyment should be at a peak.

@rdodger - Don't feel bad for me... seriously if this is the worst that can happen in life, I'll happily take it, its just a machine that can be fixed anytime.
I still own a Porsche 911, its still a 996 C4S that will appreciate over time, nobody is putting a gun to my head to fix it.
It'll just be used a little more sparingly then I initially planned (I have 4 cars to juggle, and barely time to drive any of them right now). When I have the money spare, I'll get it fixed and I'll have it for a long long time after that :)

That's a great attitude to have, I think we all feel your pain so short into the experience. With money so cheap to loan at the moment would you consider financing the project rather than having to wait 2 years?

Nightmare Manabana.

The worst introduction into 911 life possible. Well done for being so level headed about it. :nooo:

I'd still be contacting the former keeper though. You'll probably get no joy but you can express how pee'd off you are, as he would have known. He'd have had the warning signs well before he sold it.

Anyway good luck with it.

Really sorry to hear this OP, but I suspected this was the problem, you have the right attitude though, save some beer vouchers and get her in to Hartech, remember it will take about 3 months to get sorted and the bill due to their workload, it may shorten the timescale of the whole process :thumb:

...a sobering story for anyone thinking of buying one of these cars and reinforces my oft stated view that to mitigate risk one should buy a rebuilt one or accept that you need £10k plus available should,as in this case, the worst happen...

Sorry to hear of your experience. I agree with others that you're approach is very good and of course the C4S is a lovely thing.

Have you seriously considered trying to seek some recompense from the vendor? Although caveat emptor applies and there is very little comeback on a private sale,

I think you may have some grounds based on the description provided by the private vendor. Do you have a copy of the advert, are there references to being in good or very good condition?

I'm not suggesting trying to obtain a refund and from reading the advert I think you'd rather keep the car. However you may be able to negotiate a partial contribution for the rebuild work.

Worth looking into IMHO. We all expect to do some work on a newly acquired car to get them to our preferred standards, however being landed with a full rebuild because of an existing bore score issue is a little excessive.

All the best and I'm sure you will enjoy the car.

I'm sorry to hear the bad news. What makes it worse is that the previous owner new very well that the car had an issue. I would absolutely make contact and give him the opportunity to comment on the situation. Bad form and actually rather stupid depending on the type of person who ends up getting turned over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stinkyspanner
Back