Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Barn find purchased - 964 parts required!

Geordie Grant

Hi there,

new to the forum today(!) I just purchased a 1993 LHD Cabrio that has extremely low mileage (less that 8K miles!) but has been sitting for close to 25 years in a garage. Previous owner died and heirs left it alone...

It is cosmetically rough at first glance, but I'm hoping the mechanicals underneath are sound.

It is however missing or requires replacement of quite a few parts...if anyone can suggest best places to locate said parts or has parts to sell I would be very interested.

This is literally day one so the list will grow immensely! I know I'm looking for:

inner plastic wheel arches - all four corners
linen door cards / handles / boxes
linen centre console
grey airbag for steering wheel
lower dash
spare wheel
black hood
black hood bag/cover
front and rear main carpets
rear quarter trim alongside the seats (linen)
set of tyres (255/40 17 and 225/45 17)

Appreciate the assistance.
Thanks
Grant

:welcome:

Look forward to following this :D

Any pics :dont know:

Good luck with the transformation :thumb:

I may as well be the first, welcome but

:useless:

I have a full set of arch liners - from memory they are in decent condition. PM me you email address and I'll see if I can take some pics and send them to you. I think I may also have a spare wheel but will need to check - I assume it's the space saver you are after ?

:thumb:

Looking forward to a BUILD THREAD :thumbs:

:welcome:

Is this one of George Eaton's old cars :dont know:

Where you based, I've a contact for parts various so might be able to help out or restore it for you at a good rate

update! + photos!

So been busy as hell for a week and a half...

Initial thinking in the cold light of day after pick up was 'what have I done?', but it's difficult to think straight having driven for 16 hours in the last 24...

The dust and grime was thick...it took four washes and rinses to get down to the beautiful car that was waiting underneath..! Drained the oil be certain of quantity (difficult to check with a motor that is not running!) plugs out (really good condition - like new) and turned the motor over (with spanner) all of the TDCs..all seems good...got the ignition key sorted and the motor turns over on the key...doesn't fire I think due to the immobiliser. (Need advice on that one!) Started to strip the fuel system...literally dust in the filler neck.

It will need some paintwork on the nose for sure, but nothing too major..Bonnet and A pillars and bottom and top cm of doors...around headlights are solid!

Underneath was where the good news lay...the mileage is definitely genuine..basically a steam clean should sort everything out..just surface oxidation on some pieces and light road grime.

Wheels will need new powercoating but nothing more.

There is however quite a few interior pieces that will need sorting as someone has done there best hamster impression...centre console, carpet piece in-front of console, door cards and handles, knee pieces bottom of dash, spare wheel. Should be fun hunting!

Oh, and thought the roof was scrap but on further inspection it looks like replacing top panel and rear plastic glass is the way to go.

Spoke to the DVLA about getting a V5..(The original owner died many years ago..hence why the car sat in the garage so long) as there is no documentation at all..it looks like the car has never been registered in the UK... If anyone can help with the info I have to fill in on the V55/5 doc please do...I need all the information that is on a V5 - type, variant, length, power, CO2...etc etc etc. The certificate that PorscheUK has provided has just date of manufacture and sale, colour and model...nothing more!

Cheers
Grant

Attachments

• p4250068_red_175.jpg
    p4250068_red_175.jpg
    655.1 KB · Views: 1,796
  • p4250074_red_180.jpg
    p4250074_red_180.jpg
    583.8 KB · Views: 1,796
  • p4260084_red_219.jpg
    p4260084_red_219.jpg
    679.1 KB · Views: 1,796
  • p4260085_red_513.jpg
    p4260085_red_513.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 1,796
  • p5010140_red_282.jpg
    p5010140_red_282.jpg
    1,009.2 KB · Views: 1,796
That looks a good project grant ,midnight blue is cracking when all cleaned up,interior looks in good nick as well.

get some renovo dye and waterproffer for the hood it will come up like new :thumb:

https://www.renovointernational.com/

What's the story on the front ride height? It's way higher than even a stock car, and in one photo the wheel is way off centre of the wheel arch.

Still to investigate...I do know that the spec is US which had a higher ride height...yet to strip that down. (fingers crossed!)

Welcome to the forum - looks a great project. Will definitely watch this thread....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back