Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GTS C2

stokie1 said:
Thanks guys - really helpful - not driven a pdk - are they a bit sluggish?

:floor:

The funniest thing I've read today.

I take it you approve of the pdk T?

As I said I've not driven one but was going on what the poster said about them being old and not as good as your modern run around??

T8 said:
stokie1 said:
Thanks guys - really helpful - not driven a pdk - are they a bit sluggish?

:floor:

The funniest thing I've read today.

:D :floor: :thumb:

As with anything we call "tech", the rapid advances over the years do tend to make things outdated - especially when you compare old vs new.

That said, I think the 997 PDK falls a bit into these examples:

1) Unless you've driven a 991/992 i.e. are trying to compare, you would arguably not be able to call the 997 PDK "old". It is mega fast (given you've got sports chrono optioned) and super competent. Remember, its software was written to cope with all possible driving styles and as such each of us will be able to pick individual "flaws" in it, but overall I think they've done a superb job in calibrating the box.

2) A few years ago computers started moving on from traditional spinning hard drives to solid state, it was a huge leap forward. In more recent years, you would struggle to call any SSD slow, they're still evolving at a huge pace but the overall performance is so high that none are really slow. I think it'll be a long while until you sit in a 997 PDK and call the auto box rubbish.

Some prefer the manual, some prefer the PDK, it's very much a personal choice and been debated to death everywhere. However, if you do want the PDK, I think the 997 is an excellent choice. No point going into the purchase worrying of it being "old tech", the entire car is old tech - remember, the platform itself dates all the way back to the 996!

stokie1 said:

As I said I've not driven one but was going on what the poster said about them being old and not as good as your modern run around??

In his post above Icekay has contributed everything I would have said about the GTS PDK and more.

As Cheib has clearly made his feelings about automatic boxes in sports cars known I suspect that he hasn't actually driven one either. :wink:

Not much to add to icekay's, Squlech's and Terry's posts regarding just how good the PDK is.
As good as the 997 PDK box is however, having owned PDK transmissions in both 997 and my current 991.1 GTS, the later PDK is even more of a step on than its predecessor. I imagine, not having experienced the 992 box yet that the improvement trend is ever upwards.

OP, you will only truly answer your question regarding sluggishness by seeing for yourself.

T8 said:
stokie1 said:

In his post above Icekay has contributed everything I would have said about the GTS PDK and more.

As Cheib has clearly made his feelings about automatic boxes in sports cars known I suspect that he hasn't actually driven one either. :wink:

I actually drive a PDK equipped car virtually every day as my daily is a Macan Turbo PP, drive my wife's PDK equipped 718 Boxster at least once a week too. Have also driven both 997and 991 PDK's. I had my PEC day for my GT3 I actually asked to drive the PDK car despite having ordered the manual...because it might have be my only chance to drive a car with PDK-S and was interested to see what it was like but made the right decision for me in buying a manual car.

So I've driven at least three iterations of the PDK gearbox...

In isolation the 997 PDK gearbox is great, compare it to a 991 PDK and it suddenly doesn't feel as sharp and I am sure the same for the 992 PDK.

Cheib said:
So I've driven at least three iterations of the PDK gearbox...

In isolation the 997 PDK gearbox is great, compare it to a 991 PDK and it suddenly doesn't feel as sharp and I am sure the same for the 992 PDK.

Thanks for clarifying Cheib :friends:

Each evolution of the PDK box is noticeable but THE step-change from 'sluggish' happened when the Tiptronic was superseded - hence my initial :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back