Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wheeler Dealers new episode on the 996 Carrera

I think the term 'bush" is what's unhelpful here. A bush and a bearing both connect two components and allow relative rotation between them. Comparison of a suspension bush with a journal bearing is the kind of confusion that can arise when the terms are used interchangeably. The only example I can think of where a bush really is a bearing (well, strictly one half of a bearing) is a bronze sintered bush, or possibly a polymer bush which might be used as a cheaper alternative to a roller bearing.
Anyway I don't think anyone's saying an oil fed journal bearing on the IMS shouldn't work; the marvel is that Porsche didn't do it that way in the first place!
Concerns re oil pressure may or may not be well placed. Of course surge is irrelevant at hot idle, but it's not irrelevant if the oil feed to your journal bearing is interrupted mid corner. A splash lubricated IMS bearing would survive surge temporarily interrupting oil pressure to other components, but that's avoiding the problem of low oil pressure rather than solving it!

People's understanding of the word bush. It's simple - it's a Layman's term for a cylindrical shape with a hole through it. People then think specific parts are named that word and only those parts.

It's like calling a wheel a circle then saying a dial isn't a circle.

I finally caught up with this episode this week on Quest and, as a complete duffer regarding anything mechanical, found the explanation of what an IMSB is and does very enlightening.

Re-reading this thread it was equally interesting to hear what experts thought of it all.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back