Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

rear seat removal

Sean-f

Trainee
I am currently trying to remove one of the rear seats so I can go and get toddler seat fitted seat pad east just lifts up, seat back is where I need a little help advice.

I am very new here and have used the search but comes up with loads of stuff but so far nothing about removing rear seat, or is the a "hot to" section I can look at? so far I haven't found that either.

Thanks in advance,
Sean-f

figured it out but looks like i am going to have to remove both seats only really wanted to take one out but will see once i get my socket set out this afternoon,

thanks for the quick help if I have this done and child seat fitted before my wife gets back tomorrow she will see I have bought a true family car

Good luck with it, one can never have enough brownie points. :thumbs:

Sean-f said:
figured it out but looks like i am going to have to remove both seats only really wanted to take one out but will see once i get my socket set out this afternoon,

thanks for the quick help if I have this done and child seat fitted before my wife gets back tomorrow she will see I have bought a true family car

How did you get on with this? Did you have to take both out? And how do you release the plastic off the top of the centre retaining hinge? I got the sides off ok, but can't tell if centre just releases or not.

Plastic cover pulls forwards to remove .. its dam tight though .. under that is a 4mm allen key bolt that needs to be undone .. the bar joining each seat then lifts upwards .

Image below of it removed .

Attachments

• p2220020_641.jpg
    p2220020_641.jpg
    818.8 KB · Views: 2,386
It's fairly straight forward.
As DeMort mentions lift the plastic cap cover between the 2 seats.
undo the bolt behind this
lift the plastic caps covering the bolts on the little brackets at the outer edges, & undo the screw behind these.

You should now be able to lift out both seat backs, then replace the one you want to keep.

Note: This will leave the edge of the metal bar that slides into the central section, protruding where you removed the seat. There isn't much you can do about this, short of cutting the bar. Then you'd need to replace this when you eventually want to refit both seats. If this concerns you, it might be easier to remove both rear seat backs.

It will also leave the latch pin on the quarter panel which is used to secure the backrest in it's upright position. You can optionally remove this, by using an allen key.

hth

Thanks both. I was guessing that there was a nut / bolt hiding under the plastic cap but wasn't sure how it came off as it seemed very stuck in place as Iain has suggested.

Only thing is, one of you says pull forwards, the other says lifts up. Can either of you categorically confirm which it is as i don't want to nadger the plastic cap trying to force it the wrong direction. EG is it flat blade screwdriver between the flat of the plastic and the top of the tunnel, or is it push it from rear between the bulkhead and back of the plastic clip?

The plastic cover has a small insert that goes over the head of the allen key and as such it needs pulling forwards but to be honest i kinda do both .. forwards and upwards to get the damn thing off .

It's usually very tight so just getting it off is an accomplishment .

It doesn't matter if the inside of this gets a bit out of shape .. its held in place by the outer " holes " over the bar .

This is one of those .. hard to explain but easy enough to do with a trim tool and a bit of brute force / not caring attitude !

Trust me .. with some internal trim removal you just have to go for it .

How do i do it .. hmm .. hard when your on the spot .. i have a 90 degree plastic trim tool i will use at the base to pull forward and sometimes on the top to do the same .. i will also lever upwards once it has moved a tiny amount .. basically just pull it forwards and upwards ..

I've never broken one yet but the worst that can happen is you damage the inside a bit .. be brutal and just do it .. it's what i have to do anyways :)

apologies for the confusion. Mine is a 996, with 997 seats, so I'm assuming it's the same, but I'd agree with DeMort - as I recall I had to pull forwards & lift up to remove it. It is a bit fiddly, but you should be ok if you use a plastic pry tool.

Thanks both for the help, detailed descriptions and clarification. Will have a go at the weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back