Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wheeler Dealers new episode on the 996 Carrera

Just watched this episode now. What tosh!

Hammering in that solid IMS bearing - WTF? :eek:

and the BS about how the old bearing felt :nooo:

Bet there's a few after market induction kit owners not too impressed :grin:

$600 to wrap a centre console. Would've looked nicer if they'd just coded it the same colour as the car.......for $20.

What did they actually do to make the car worth $$$$ more?

Felt sorry for the seller who got conned out of a decent sale.

Didn't realise Wheeler Dealers was an America only show now. Did Mike move it out there so he could get clothes that fit?

Mike's at great pains to say that it's still a UK show with mainly UK staff but the sponsors (Discovery) are US based and they want it local!?!?

I think that it's a show that should be taken with a pinch of salt when it comes to their "expert" advice. Even in the old days, they talked rubbish. As an example, 3 mins 20 into the clip linked below, they warn that white gunk under the oil filler of an air-cooled 911 means the head gasket may have gone!

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5cd4tc

In the latest episodes with the ever so scripted Ant, they seem to do very little to the cars on screen. A recent episode had some american van turned into a surf/camper type thing. The most impressive part was the paint job which only featured on the end result as it was outsourced and not shown on the show.

Think I'll go look this one up...

"OOLD AAAHT YER AAAAAINNND!"

:thumb:

I think if you do not take it to seriously and view it as entertainment rather than be mega serious about exactly what it takes to fix the various car issues and be to bothered about what really is needed to fix this and that.
Don't forget most folks have no clue mechanically anyway so a cut down brief easy bit of filming makes easy watching and some knowledge to take away to what goes on.
I did think the IMS was pretty good and explained it very well and the way it was explained could be understood by virtually anyone.

As for Mike yes he is a bit in your face

TurboRob said:
Didn't realise Wheeler Dealers was an America only show now. Did Mike move it out there so he could get clothes that fit?

:floor: Very good

The way he fitted those wheel bearings is troubling. He essentially pressed them in via the centre, because he installed the bearing onto the drive flange first.

The fact the retaining plate needed to be threaded up a few turns, then pressed in, etc etc should have told a story.

And the IMS, yeah, it was tosh. Utter tosh.

overall not the worst episode ive seen

the constant IMS jibes were pretty cringe worthy
and the attitude of its "broken" because it hasnt been changed seems consistent with what i've seen on the US forums :what:

996lee said:
overall not the worst episode ive seen

the constant IMS jibes were pretty cringe worthy
and the attitude of its "broken" because it hasnt been changed seems consistent with what i've seen on the US forums :what:

But not a great show to showcase the 996

Part of the problem is that Brewer wants the bigger part in the show, so where as the format with Ed was about the fixing and the engineering (Which was far more interesting) Ant now plays 2nd fiddle to Brewer's drive for his screen time.

Ed China left the show over creative differences as they wanted to drive more product placement and less DIY engineering time.

Ant still does a great job with his limited screen time.

I watched it again last night and got a better idea of how bad it was:

When Ant was hammering that IMS replacement bearing into the shaft you can see the engine swinging on the engine mounts. The engine obviously wasn't supported very well on the stand (not enough to be belting with a mallet anyway). I dread to think what internal damage he's potentially done :nooo:

The cab roof rear window was mullered and in desperate need on a new one fitting. Alloy wheel also needed refurbing with chunks missing out of them.

His comment about the bearing feeling like it was full of sand was a blatant lie.

1/4 of a pint of oil comes pouring out the shaft once the bearing was removed, proving that engine oil had been lubricating the bearing.

There was plenty of stuff they should've been spending their $$$$ on instead of promoting some dodgy after-market snake oil fix and wrapping the centre console. All in all a very poor episode packed with lie after lie.

Wonder how long it'll be before the new owner is on rennlist wondering why his engine needs rebuilding. :grin:

They often do random no value stuff to car's.

Think car SOS and the way they restore a car is so much better.

Never let facts get in the way of a good TV programme!

:)

Like a Scouser once said to me - "Never let the truth spoil a good story"

Same bloke - "You can tell a Prick, but you can't tell him much"

Alex said:
I watched it again last night and got a better idea of how bad it was:

When Ant was hammering that IMS replacement bearing into the shaft you can see the engine swinging on the engine mounts. The engine obviously wasn't supported very well on the stand (not enough to be belting with a mallet anyway). I dread to think what internal damage he's potentially done :nooo:

The cab roof rear window was mullered and in desperate need on a new one fitting. Alloy wheel also needed refurbing with chunks missing out of them.

His comment about the bearing feeling like it was full of sand was a blatant lie.

1/4 of a pint of oil comes pouring out the shaft once the bearing was removed, proving that engine oil had been lubricating the bearing.

There was plenty of stuff they should've been spending their $$$$ on instead of promoting some dodgy after-market snake oil fix and wrapping the centre console. All in all a very poor episode packed with lie after lie.

Wonder how long it'll be before the new owner is on rennlist wondering why his engine needs rebuilding. :grin:

It's a TV show for Gawds sake, not a engineering instructional video. The oil coming out of the bearing aperture is not much use to a sealed bearing.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back