Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Considering a 993 switch from a 997 - advice welcome

Counter of beans.... First off I do not currently own a Porsche and it has been many years since I last drove one thus anything I type may have no relevance whatsoever, but I do have time to contemplate much... (-:

First off I suspect one has to be very honest relative to one`s OWN priorities and I take it for granted that one who goes by the forum I.D. such as yours will have spent time enough considering many aspects of any potential purchase... (-:

I do tend to wonder about "investment" potential of any petrol driven vehicle given how legislative changes can seem to erupt out of a volcano that may have rumbled along for many years, the eruption altering the markets in the long term in ways perhaps never imagined..?

I suspect any 993 is getting on a bit with a past life of who knows what regardless of what paperwork might accompany it, or what mileage is recorded on the "clock" with no means of downloading over revs and the likes (?) It would seem chassis and other corrosion is not a stranger either, thus I suspect as with any older machine there are some risks involved in it`s purchase..? All my Porsches had a some history that might put any purchaser who would tremble at a missing spec sticker from the frunk running off screaming into the distance.... and I had used at least two of them on track days even bounced the rev limiter.... but then Porsche made unburstable engines back then it seems...? Body filler and repainted yup that done too.... I would have any one of them back today and they would be FUN... investment potential..hmm..???

As for that which some might regard as a primitive driving experience, everything is relative, and when compared to your 997, you might feel the 993 a tad basic whereas when I drove a 993 they were new to market, I felt it a big step forward in Porsche engineering... Of course there will ever be those who are slaves to their fundamentalist ideals and promote their beliefs at all costs and I suspect the 993 will have legions of devoted followers and perhaps more than most being the last of the air cooled cars..? As a Morgan owner I have read over many years of tales of daring do in Morgans, taking on tasks to which they were entirely unsuitable from trips to hack down a large Christmas tree and transport it home, or those like myself who have engaged a few continental holidays in very HOT weather, where any hard top with air-con would seem to be a minimal requirement in such temperatures and over such extended distances...

The difference between your 997 and a 993 in terms of driver involvement or as I prefer to categorise it sensory perception.... I have not driven a 997... BUT, I too at one stage felt the desire to visit to a more ...err...basic driving experience in search of something different after following a pre war LM styled open topped Bentley for a few miles.... which hopefully explains my Morgan ownership... (-: I can only imagine that you will feel things are a tad more basic, and as Albionmuz declared a 993 might be no fun for YOU in heavy traffic on a regular or even semi regular basis, and the wise words of jhrfc on how your driving style may require to alter a bit given the lack of technology in the decision process as to the way the car will conduct it`s self in any given set of circumstances.... Driving my old SC you had to wait for it to climb up on to the cam but once there the change in engine note and increase in power output was a very special part of 911 enjoyment once experienced unlikely to be forgotten, oft described by me as the wail in the tail....(-: However the 993 seemed to have loads of power low down in the rev range by comparison, thus something lost and something gained as would ever seem to be the way in terms of Porsche progress...??

Whatever you decide it will be great if you care to share the process.... Best wishes in whatever direction you take..

Once again, thank you for the contributions, it's all food for thought. Those of you suggesting that I go and drive one are, of course quite right.

I ought to stress that I'm fine with basic. I used to drive a Monaro with a 6.2 litre V8 engine - it was a heavy old beast and very old school, with little in the way of modern trimmings. It had the worst gearbox I've ever had the misfortune to use, paired with the best engine (Porsche included) I've ever experienced.

Anyway, "basic" has an appeal of its own. As does "small" - post 997 Porsches just seem too big to my eyes, sorry Sponge no offence intended. And I suspect that I couldn't ever use more performance than my 997 Gen 2 offers, not this side of a track at least.

Right, off to the classifieds! Oh, and if anyone wants an absolutely mint 997 Gen 2 then I've posted an advert on here.

I have seen Counter of Bean's 997 and can vouch that the car is mint and a lovely example.

I love the looks and size of a 993 but never been in one, so can't offer more than that.

If I was spending around £70k on a car, it wouldn't be a Porsche. I'd be in a Ferrari or Aston for that kind of mind. Far less common and much more special. V12 Vantage :D

I went from 996 GT3 to 993 and don't regret it. it's all about the feel and drive. As everyone has said the 993 is small, nimble and pure air cooled charismatic.

Why not? The most conspicuous elephant in the room is of course ergonomics - specifically the pedal box offset on the RHD 964 & 993. If you are a diminutive individual with elasticated knee joints then you will discount this immediately, but if you are over 5'10" or have any kind of leg or back issues or indeed oversized feet then you really do have to shop for a left hand drive one (the offset problem isn't there and the pedal box on the left side of the car is inches deeper. The air cooled cars were designed as left hook and RHD ones were an afterthought and it shows, whereas the 996 onwards were engineered much more with the right hand drive ~35% of the worlds population in mind). So the whole debate has to start with a very long test drive before you even start looking at specifics.

[Yeah - love air cooled, but I can only drive a right hook one for about 15 minutes before it gets unworkably uncomfortable. There is a good chance that you might be the same]

Counter of beans, Interesting that you rate the Manaro engine, I helped a pal fit one in a Triumph Stag...we fitted GT3 front brakes to it too... (-: Also, it seems there is at least one Porsche with an LS engine fitted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZfUln_t4MY

Attachments

• ls2_stag_914.jpg
    ls2_stag_914.jpg
    671.2 KB · Views: 3,675
offset

I really don't get the angst for rhd. After 5 mins I never gave it a seconds thought! I am 6 foot with size 10's and it is non problem in rhd. I went from a 987 and much prefer the older car,engine is in a different league for enjoyment!

I'm in the process of going from a gen 2 to C4 993 cab.
G2 lovely, but for me too refined and more like a GT car. 993 more engaging and I just missed open top motoring even if this summer is the wettest in years :x

No problem here with the RHD 993 pedal box and I'm 6 2" with size 11 feet. Do have to wear vans to drive it, rather than chunkier trainers, that's all.

I DO have a problem with the earlier 964 pedal box as it has the footrest between the clutch and brake, which I hated and couldn't get my foot in there.

badlands said:
No problem here with the RHD 993 pedal box and I'm 6 2" with size 11 feet. Do have to wear vans to drive it, rather than chunkier trainers, that's all.

I DO have a problem with the earlier 964 pedal box as it has the footrest between the clutch and brake, which I hated and couldn't get my foot in there.
Same here 6 2" with size 44. On a long run I wear Sparco racing boots or Hunziker driving shoes. Now a Scimitar GTE is a different matter terrible driving position.
Never a problem even after drives to Le Mans and the Alps.

Stocky 6 footer here with size 11's. Converse the footwear of choice and a couple of hours in the seat on a spirited run is never an issue. :thumb:

C.

Crispin said:
I'm in the process of going from a gen 2 to C4 993 cab.
G2 lovely, but for me too refined and more like a GT car. 993 more engaging and I just missed open top motoring even if this summer is the wettest in years :x

Yep you can't beat open top motoring :thumb:

Good luck with the new Cab :thumb:

ATB :)

Attachments

• lambo_vs_porsche_505.jpg
    lambo_vs_porsche_505.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 3,063
I sold the 993 last year and went into a gen 2 997. Great replacement in my book but I get why you're interested in a 993.

If you haven't done the air cooled thing yet then absolutely go there. The one thing the smaller air cooled cars have is a better body shape (although I was never completely sold on the wimpy front PU from some angles) so be prepared to look back multiple times when parked up and walking away. 70k will get you a fabulous example.

All 911s are great cars and it's nice to be in a position to change once in a while. I wouldn't discount a 964 though; if you want those iconic upright headlamps, they are iconic.

Enjoy the hunt :thumb:

not driven a newer 911,only 930 turbo and 993,
my misses has a cayenne,lovely !!!
mine is a daily driver regularly stuck in the Dartford crossing m25 mess,
radios rubbish but don't use it ,engine sound is much better,
no air con,gets hot for a week or two, no great issue,
make me smile every morning on way to work and home,
use it for weekly shop, rear seats down, works a treat,
not kept in garage,
not that fast, but neither am I,
owned for 11 years,
sadly I talk to it when driving,
some days drives great ,other days seems a bit rough,
im lucky ,I could get pretty much anything but ill keep the old girl,
makes lots of friends, and is so pretty,
I have no doubt a new 911 is an incredible car with all the essential driving aids/gadgets,
but I like the effort required to drive my 911 quickly,
for an easy life I guess new 911,if you can put some effort into your driving a 993 will become much more than just a car,
good luck with your test drive.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back