Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which head unit?

B6WUD

Hi guys,

New here, have owned my 993 C4 for about 5 years and have hated the alpine head unit in it ever since.

Anyone got any recommendations for a decent head unit with some modern capabilities (bluetooth for definite, USB would be nice etc) that doesn't jump out as being aftermarket?

More suggestions the merrier.

Cheers

Welcome, look up the Porsche Classic unit, Becker on eBay and also the VDO/Continental range. They all look quite period, and fit in well with the dash styling.

When my original Blaupunkt packed in I replaced it with the Continental (VDO) unit CDD7418UB-OR. It fits in ok aesthetically and was easy to install. Has bluetooth, phone connectivity and DAB.

DYFAN said:
When my original Blaupunkt packed in I replaced it with the Continental (VDO) unit CDD7418UB-OR. It fits in ok aesthetically and was easy to install. Has bluetooth, phone connectivity and DAB.

Same here, followers the advice on here and purchased on eBay from Germany, superb service and what a cracking pride for DAB !

continental TRD7412UB-OR - DAB/FM/AM Radio mit USB/Bluetooth inkl. DAB-Antenne

Welcome to the forum!
Have a look at the Continental head unit range, it is perfect for use in classic Porsche cars.
There's four models available, all with the same Bluetooth/USB/other functions, but with some differences:
TR7412: AM/FM tuner
TRD7412: AM/FM/DAB tuner
CDD7416: AM/FM tuner and CD player
CDD7418: AM/FM/DAB tuner and CD player

Some prefer the 7416/18 due to the two knobs on the front panel, it goes very well into the 911 interior. The units with DAB tuner are becoming more and more popular across Europe and NZ/Australia.
We offer a free PORSCHE logo sticker to enhance the classic OEM look of these in a 993. We also offer a large range of wiring harnesses that simplify the installation in the 993.
Cheers,
Tore
cdd7418ub-or_2.jpg

conti_7412_2.jpg

7418_4_1.jpg

never mind the head units - what about the shocking alignment of the switches above.....
Cigarette charger switches all over the place. :?

Thanks for all the replies guys, will have a look at all of these options.

I changed for the original/first edition Porsche Classic Radio Navigation when I got my car three years ago. I liked the idea of it but in my view it is flawed. Have swapped for the current version now (PCRN2) and I like it a lot. It is an actual Porsche product (well, not made by them but clearly produced under their guidance), looks perfect in the dash, has good hands free, connects by bluetooth to my Spotify on my phone, and has a nice sat nav screen which looks super modern when switched on.

More money than some of the other options but what isn't expensive on these cars now?!

Am writing a little review on my blog but it wont be ready to share until I start my road trip at the end of next month.

Becker!

Looks very period correct (even though they can be 10-15 years newer than the car...!)

Excellent sound quality

Blue tooth works very well for taking calls (with an iPhone X at least)

You can still find the ipod dongles listed on eBay - albeit only with the old style connector. I use it with a touch or one of those tiny square iPods.

Continental DAB head unit instal.

Attachments

• fcf3ad6c_6a5a_44a2_96cd_11a221113e11_184.jpeg
    fcf3ad6c_6a5a_44a2_96cd_11a221113e11_184.jpeg
    799.6 KB · Views: 4,827
tim993 said:
Becker!

Looks very period correct (even though they can be 10-15 years newer than the car...!)

Excellent sound quality

Blue tooth works very well for taking calls (with an iPhone X at least)

You can still find the ipod dongles listed on eBay - albeit only with the old style connector. I use it with a touch or one of those tiny square iPods.
Becker Cascade in the 993 ( with speed camera chime thanks to Jontt) and an Indianaplois Pro in the 944, not keen on the Porsche Classic it looks and feels cheap by comparison to the Becker units considering the price. Had one took it out.
The Continentals are much better value also.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back