Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Potential purchase - over revs

Leave it IMHO

That'll be a manual car I assume, never heard of pdk with RR3+ over-revs.
If it was cheap enough, perhaps, but you'd want to know what was checked and, arguably more hours between issue and now.
Not sure 5k is anywhere near enough to 'compensate' for the history.

OPC insist it has no bearing on warranty, they have invoices for last two years from previous owner for work done under warranty, they are going to look further into its history to see if any work has been done prior to that. They advise they speak to Porsche head office before purchasing a car to check that Porsche will honour the warranty and as long as the over rev was more than 50 hours ago then they consider it no issue. I spoke to Chester OPC and they backed up what Bristol OPC are saying.

They also said it makes no difference when it comes to trade in although I'm sure it would.

If I decide against this one, I found a nice Red Carrera S that looks promising, Red being second colour choice.

r21 said:
OPC insist it has no bearing on warranty, they have invoices for last two years from previous owner for work done under warranty, they are going to look further into its history to see if any work has been done prior to that. They advise they speak to Porsche head office before purchasing a car to check that Porsche will honour the warranty and as long as the over rev was more than 50 hours ago then they consider it no issue. I spoke to Chester OPC and they backed up what Bristol OPC are saying.

They also said it makes no difference when it comes to trade in although I'm sure it would.

If I decide against this one, I found a nice Red Carrera S that looks promising, Red being second colour choice.

Can't believe I'm saying it about a racing yellow car, but in this case leave it :thumb: If it's the red one I'm thinking 🤔 of, buy it!

Sounds like a nice spec car, not sure if I knew what you knew I would want it, bit like finding out your sweet heart was a dirty ***** before she met you :eek: most are but we just don't find out.

How do you tell what over rev ranges these cars have been through & why doesn't it affect PDK cars the same as they seem to rev their nuts off in sport plus in the low gears,

is there a way of finding settings on the on board computer to tell, or is it only a dealer that can only find out with IT gaditry.

I understand that a manual can be dropped down several gears from high speed causing over rev, but what about the PDK

spongebob squarepants said:
r21 said:

Can't believe I'm saying it about a racing yellow car, but in this case leave it :thumb: If it's the red one I'm thinking 🤔 of, buy it!

Red one is from Northern Ireland, full aero kit, nice spec

Hamster75 said:
Sounds like a nice spec car, not sure if I knew what you knew I would want it, bit like finding out your sweet heart was a dirty ***** before she met you :eek: most are but we just don't find out.

How do you tell what over rev ranges these cars have been through & why doesn't it affect PDK cars the same as they seem to rev their nuts off in sport plus in the low gears,

is there a way of finding settings on the on board computer to tell, or is it only a dealer that can only find out with IT gaditry.

I understand that a manual can be dropped down several gears from high speed causing over rev, but what about the PDK

Like the analogy, I'm sure most have been ragged at some point but this has 90 ignitions in stage 4 and 5 which if understand it correctly is about 6 seconds at those revs! The problem is it has so much going for it other than this.

To check they need to plug in a diagnostic tool I think

r21 said:
I asked specifically if was a track car, they said most likely as its ex Silervstone. The fact that its been hammered in its early days would back that up.

PCCB are on 70%

Car is £5K cheaper to a comparable model and its close to the spec that I want i.e. Yellow 4s manual,chrono, PSE, black leather interior. The Powerkit and PCCB are nice to have as well.

The caveat is that unlike the other Experience 'rental' Car that OPC Bristol were selling, that wasn't disclosed and at the full retail as new price, that was certainly not on.

Clearly OPC Bristol have realised the mistake they made with the earlier cars and have informed the buyer (although they could be clearer), then it's a matter of price. Have they priced it correctly to reflect the prior unusual usage ? if it's 5k lower then yes, dont expect any more from an OPC.

So with that in mind and a 2 year warranty there is potential, as long as OPC Bristol can provide evidence on the warranty document as part of the 111 point check that it is warranted with the Range 5 data.

It's key to have this in writing on the warranty inspection, as what you want to avoid is in 2 years, should you look to renew the warranty it is then denied for that reason.

Through experience I know that as long as the record incident is a significant time ago then the risk are significantly reduced to a point they are no longer a factor.

is this the car ?
https://finder.porsche.com/gb/en_GB/911-Carrera-4S-Coupe-54568

911UK said:
r21 said:
I asked specifically if was a track car, they said most likely as its ex Silervstone. The fact that its been hammered in its early days would back that up.

PCCB are on 70%

Car is £5K cheaper to a comparable model and its close to the spec that I want i.e. Yellow 4s manual,chrono, PSE, black leather interior. The Powerkit and PCCB are nice to have as well.

The caveat is that unlike the other Experience 'rental' Car that OPC Bristol were selling, that wasn't disclosed and at the full retail as new price, that was certainly not on.

Clearly OPC Bristol have realised the mistake they made with the earlier cars and have informed the buyer (although they could be clearer), then it's a matter of price. Have they priced it correctly to reflect the prior unusual usage ? if it's 5k lower then yes, dont expect any more from an OPC.

So with that in mind and a 2 year warranty there is potential, as long as OPC Bristol can provide evidence on the warranty document as part of the 111 point check that it is warranted with the Range 5 data.

It's key to have this in writing on the warranty inspection, as what you want to avoid is in 2 years, should you look to renew the warranty it is then denied for that reason.

Through experience I know that as long as the record incident is a significant time ago then the risk are significantly reduced to a point they are no longer a factor.

is this the car ?

Good point about getting warranty to include known range 5 issue. OPC are willing to put 2 yr warranty on top of the current warranty which runs to end of December, so that means covered till December 2021.

The link is the car I'm looking at

90 ignitions is about 2 seconds at the higher rev ranges, so not a lot at all, if it was more than 50 hours ago it's considered out of the window of danger so irritating not to have the clean slate so to speak but should not actually be an issue and backed up by warranty

r21 said:
911UK said:
r21 said:

PCCB are on 70%

is this the car ?

Good point about getting warranty to include known range 5 issue. OPC are willing to put 2 yr warranty on top of the current warranty which runs to end of December, so that means covered till December 2021.

The link is the car I'm looking at

r21, I think everyone is giving the same advice, re the cars past, sounds like you want a manual, but early 991 manuals arent regarded as highly as PDK, with some improvements made to later gearboxes (or so were told by the motoring journos)
My car is an ex press car, which never worried me, and its the second one ive had without any issues, but an ex Porsche experience car certainly would. And the mileage is high at 40k on a cherished Porsche, that alone should reduce the price. Everyone will deny it, but try selling on a car with 70k on the clock in 4 years time, it will take a serious hit on price.
at the same age mine is 24k.
Presuming a PDK is considered, and with the 430 engine the PDK is truly immense, theres a cracking spec car with the full areokit, and the X51 in Gurads red up at 65,450, the best bit the mileage is 15k with full OPC history, this has also been reduced gradually over the months from 69,995. Its getting close to where it should be....

The advice on here seems to be to walk away and find another.

I have been in the same position after travelling miles and paying for a PPI. Its a lovely looking car, but they all are.

I've decided against moving forward with the car, the consensus on here is so against it and that leads me to believe when I come to move it on I'll have problems.

The Red s I was also looking at has been sold too.

I'm looking at the Red S spongebob suggested but I think the price will mean its not in budget, its a lovely car though

I'll keep looking

^^^ this.

0.2 seconds.

It's not the over revs that would put me off it the PEC history. Every time we go my mates and I all say 'Would I shite ever own one of these cars!".

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back