Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

First time driving a 993

nickjonesn4

Sao Paulo
Gave my brother in law a shot of the car today. He's a really good driver and driven lots of decent modern fast cars but he had an amazing time today as evidenced by his cackle as we chased down as guy on a motorbike today in the sunshine...

https://vimeo.com/331872263?ref=em-share

totally irresponsible behavior.
But love it :thumb:

Sounds great.. :thumbs:

He'll be on the Hunt for a 993 now.. :D

kingroon said:
Sounds great.. :thumbs:

SCART back boxes and 100 cell cat, sounds epic :bandit:

OP, apologies if this is a silly question; it's just that I'm thinking about getting a 993. Maybe.
In my 997 gen 2, overtaking on a road similar to that in your video is a breeze - just plant my right foot (my car's a PDK) and I'm past in a flash. In my experience, you get the same in a Golf R or Audi S3.
My question: does a 993 give you that "overtaking oomph" or is it more sedate? I guess I'm really asking......is 272 hp enough? How quick are they?

Sorry if that's an impossible question, opinions appreciated.

PS good video, thanks for posting. Regards, Mike.

Counter Of Beans said:
OP, apologies if this is a silly question; it's just that I'm thinking about getting a 993. Maybe.
In my 997 gen 2, overtaking on a road similar to that in your video is a breeze - just plant my right foot (my car's a PDK) and I'm past in a flash. In my experience, you get the same in a Golf R or Audi S3.
My question: does a 993 give you that "overtaking oomph" or is it more sedate? I guess I'm really asking......is 272 hp enough? How quick are they?

Sorry if that's an impossible question, opinions appreciated.

PS good video, thanks for posting. Regards, Mike.

You will need to reacquaint yourself with changing down into the correct gear and managing the revs. 993 has plenty of mid range oomph for overtaking but it wont be as quick as a 997.2. Its easy to get the car to 300bhp and they are light.

I have a golf r and the Porsche is as quick over country roads but it delivers power in a different way due to being NA not turbo.

Well sorted 993 is more than quick enough for road driving in UK but it does take driving

996/997 are great cars and quick, however they're modern cars that do everything easily & efficiently IMO.
The 993 is different in that it's an event to drive. I'm on my second after previously owning a TT 996 and the difference is that I can use the 993's power a whole lot more of the time. This coupled with the small/intimate cabin space and unique driving position make it feel more special.

As Nick has mentioned, the 993 is plenty quick enough and the shove on cam in higher revs is very addictive.

Fresh suspension is a must. Budget for a refresh if a car hasn't had one in its lifetime.

C.

cableguy said:
The 993 is different in that it's an event to drive.
100% agree with this statement, it's an occasion in itself to drive a 993..

I have owned a coupla 997s and whilst they are great motors, and powerful ones, the 993 lets you know what's going on far more directly.. I had a Turbo S which was a Beast, where Overtaking Decisions could be made spontaneously, as opposed to overtaking in my 993 which has to be a more calculated manoeuvre.. ;)
Fresh suspension is a must. Budget for a refresh if a car hasn't had one in its lifetime.
Again, agree; new Bushes, Springs, Dampers & Droplinks etc. are a must to tighten things up..

Was certainly an occasion for me this morning as spun out exiting a roundabout in the wet after a drive spell - defo woke me up!

No damage however did remind me that despite being an old car with 'less' power than modern machinery they can be a challenge to drive........and to think I was looking at a 997 turbo seriously recently when I don't even have the talent to handle under 300 bhp.

I think I've just confirmed this is all the Porsche I need.... :thumbs:

ColinC said:
Was certainly an occasion for me this morning as spun out exiting a roundabout in the wet after a drive spell - defo woke me up!
In your Defence. modern 911 have PSM, PASM, PMSL* etc. so they would have corrected most of that Oversteer for you, so proving again the occasion of a 993, and the more involvement of the Driver, however dramatic..!! :D

Great to hear no Damage 8) Those situations are quite funny, when you look around, realise nothing hit anything, engage First, pull away and carry on as normal..! :eek: :lol:

* Okay, I made that one up..

Crikey...full on spin? Was there other traffic? Glad all OK and no damage!

ColinC said:

No damage however did remind me that despite being an old car with 'less' power than modern machinery they can be a challenge to drive........and to think I was looking at a 997 turbo seriously recently when I don't even have the talent to handle under 300 bhp.

I think I've just confirmed this is all the Porsche I need.... :thumbs:

Hey Colin, glad to hear all okay. My Gripper diff makes a big difference in the wet in terms of traction and spin avoidance. Best Scotland specific upgrade I reckon.

Luckily enough it was a dual carriageway so no oncoming traffic as I overcompensated, compounded the pendulum affect by lifting of the accelerator and pirouetted with the rear of the car stopping 3 feet from the Armco barrier....... :oops:

My LSD is original factory and no doubt needs an overhaul along with the gearbox - I did read with interest your build thread Nick, great job and your car looks awesome but reckon it was mainly lack of talent on this occasion.

No harm - no foul.....did focus my attention though!

ColinC glad that there was nothing damaged other than your pride perhaps.

I did a few fish tails through a roundabout in a Jag XJ6 many years ago and had a lucky escape too, certainly gets the heart pumping. Unfortunately a friend bent his 993 C2S (a car I secretly lusted after) in a similar roundabout situation.. He declined to have it back once repaired, pity.

That first shower of rain after a dry spell catches lots of folk out... :eek:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back