Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993. Rollover valve rattle.

Mike_993

Hi.
In a bid to stop a rattle coming from the internals of my 993 dashboard I have been trying to track down the source. It comes and goes but don't think it is the screen.

I have discovered that if I tap the expansion tank in the trunk something rattles sounding like a ball in a chamber. The only item in that area is the rollover valve. Don't think there is anything that moves in the tank itself?

My enquiry would be as to whether any one has experienced any issue with the rollover valve and if it were faulty could it produce the noise / rattle I am experiencing, also if replacing the valve is easy.

The rattle in the car / dash appears to come from the same position as the valve.

Any thoughts???

Just checked mine and reproduced the same rattle. Seems to pressurise a little when the engine is running/ give off less noise? Not sure if that's any help, either they all do it or we have the same fault!

Dash rattle

tyinsky said:
Just checked mine and reproduced the same rattle. Seems to pressurise a little when the engine is running/ give off less noise? Not sure if that's any help, either they all do it or we have the same fault!

Hi. Thank you for taking the time to check yours as well and for your reply. I had the opportunity to do the same with another 993 this evening with identical result.

The dash rattle comes and goes, checked the pollen filters which were fine so not sure what else could rattle around. Trying to avoid dismantling the dash so may just have to live with it.

I've been on rattle patrol for weeks now and have had some good results. Felt tape has got rid of loads, as have a few new fasteners.

Off the top of my head, and with a poor memory for these things, here are a few:

- The seat belt pivot above the shoulders
- The air vents
- Speaker covers
- Glove box
- Spare wheels
- The plastic covers in the trunk
- under trays front and rear

My windscreen is creaking a little, they all did this from about 6 months old apparently although there is a fix. Only noticed it as all the others areas have become silent!

tyinsky said:
I've been on rattle patrol for weeks now and have had some good results. Felt tape has got rid of loads, as have a few new fasteners.

Off the top of my head, and with a poor memory for these things, here are a few:

- The air vents
- Speaker covers
- Glove box
- Spare wheels

My windscreen is creaking a little, they all did this from about 6 months old apparently although there is a fix. Only noticed it as all the others areas have become silent!

Brilliant, good advice. Thank you. I will check all those locations. I did read about wheel arch liners possibly being a source as well.

Not sure how the air vents come out? I did attempt this unsuccessfully.

Slight creak from seats as well (hardbacks)

My windscreen has been replaced and seals renewed, its definitely a rattle rather than s creak. Interestingly this evening drove with left hand pushing down on dash and seemed to help. That pressure is in the vent location so will start there.

tyinsky said:

- The air vents
- Speaker covers
- Glove box
- Spare wheels

Brilliant, good advice. Thank you. I will check all those locations. I did read about wheel arch liners possibly being a source as well.

Not sure how the air vents come out? I did attempt this unsuccessfully.

Slight creak from seats as well (hardbacks)

My windscreen has been replaced and seals renewed, its definitely a rattle rather than s creak. Interestingly this evening drove with left hand pushing down on dash and seemed to help. That pressure is in the vent location so will start there.

You don't need to take them out, the felt tape goes between the dash and vent if you use a plastic tool. 👍😊

Thanks again, I would not have thought of that. Useful tools for anything trim related.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back