Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Vintage Porsche Collection Damaged in Gas Explosion

Porsche News

One of the top collections of vintage Porsche cars in the world was severely damaged by a deadly gas-pipeline explosion in North Carolina, USA according to local news reports.

The Ingram Collection, was connected to the building that exploded Wednesday in North Carolina, USA.

Shortly after 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, firefighters began evacuating buildings after reports that nearby workers struck a gas line in the area. Shortly thereafter, the explosion demolished a structure, and with it partially collapsed the building which housed the Porsches.

The building where the explosion began had originally opened as a Studebaker dealership in 1928, becoming defunct shortly thereafter in 1930. During the '40s, it became an auto supply facility until closing four decades later. Since the 1980s, the building has housed a variety of different businesses including a restaurant as well as a musician platform, ReverbNation. At the time of the explosion, the building housed Kaffeinate, a coffee shop, and Prescient Co., a construction engineering firm.

Next door, however, was an automotive enthusiast's playground. Hiding in plain sight is the Ingram Collection, a cache of Porsches so extensive that those at Stuttgart themselves called it a "breathtaking review of automotive design history." The collection was at least partially collapsed as a result of the explosion.

In 2015, the Ingram Collection was home to more than 80 extremely rare and important Porsches. From the modern 918 Spyder to the third oldest Porsche 356 in existence, the collection truly had it all"”and for an enthusiast of the brand, it simply doesn't get more awe-inspiring than this.

Attachments

• ingram1_105.jpg
    ingram1_105.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 2,205
  • ingram2_137.jpg
    ingram2_137.jpg
    696.5 KB · Views: 2,205
What a great pity to see so many rare and valuable Porsches damaged.... What now...?

Do you think they will be scrapped as decreed by the Insurance company given the degree of damage they suffered..? Perhaps broken up for spares...... but surely not repaired... given that the MARKET has decreed that originality is ALL, even down to a sticker in the frunk and what it has printed upon it...?

What little I know of the skills of craftsmen in the US these cars will be restored to look as if this situation had never ever occurred, though there is a good chance that folk will perhaps keep a record photographic or otherwise of as much detail of the damage and perhaps even the repair processes involved to each vehicle....creating a huge potential for endless discussion and even argument over the REAL value attributable to any one or all of those wonderful machines for years to come... :?:

Terrible to see these great cars damaged but why put all your eggs in one basket and keep cars like this off the road?

Car hoarding is a weird pastime iMO

I guess some folk collect stamps.... and if I had enough spare cash I might just collect a few cars as I suspect quite a few amongst us might do... (-: I wonder just how much time those who are smart enough to make multi millions have spare to work their way round driving all the cars in their collection... hmm.

That typed, I know of one chap who has three Lamborghini`s all different model years, he used to race a Dodge Viper with ALL the bits such a machine would ever need to win, of course logically (?) he owned a couple of top end mundanemobiles he used as daily drivers...

Another nice chap I met had a Ferrari filled garage, from a poor memory I think the fifties Testarossa was high on his list of fortunate acquisitions.... Rather cheekily, I asked him which car in his collection might he consider to be his favourite..... He took a little time to think, and replied, I do not have a single car that I could say was my favourite, but in a bid to try to provide you with an answer.... If I want to take the Testarossa out for a run I have to advise the mechanic to go down and pre heat the sump to get the oil warm then once the chill is off the oil he can fire it up by which time I can then take it out for a drive.... However the car keys found in a tray near the hat stand in the hall, are those of my 72 lightweight 2.7 Carrera RS, which needs nothing other to just turn the key and... GO....

I thought that he was very considerate to give me such an informed insight to the sort of decision making process I am never ever likely to contemplate.. :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back