Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Air Intake temperatures

vlad

Just wondering about the above and the effect on performance.

A couple of reasons:

There was the wheeler dealer 996 restoration recently when Ant was discussing the relative merits of the after market mod. that was on their car - cone filter (he removed it - for reasons it was pulling in hot air from the engine bay rather than the cooler air from outside).

Also Biovox's thread on his turbo (I have a 997T with a similar 9e package and also absolutely love it), but I notice the dyno runs are at very different intake temps. and again wondered what the effect may have been?

For me its absolutely noticeable (best hoons ever have been at dawn), before its warmed up, where the cars a NA 996 C4s before and now the 997T feel so strong.

It makes a big difference. You can feel the difference on a good drive (up at temp.) between a frosty morning with the temp's around 2 deg and a hot day around 24 deg. So if you can feel a noticeable difference between 22 deg, imagine what a 70 deg temp change would be like.

Not just that, the design of the standard air intake means are gets pushed down the 'snorkel' as it passes over the car. You really want the spout to have air forced into it whilst in motion. You won't get this on the type they had originally fitted on WD.

Something like this would be the preferable option :grin:

countach_drag_car_2.jpg

Can't beat cooler, therefore denser, air.

It's the reason Turbos have clown's pockets in the side. Tucked up in there are two huge intercoolers that the compressed air from the Turbo has to go through to be cooled before entering the engine to get the optimum performance from it.

This post gives you an idea of the BHP increase by the cooling effect using an intercooler with a turbo:

https://www.quora.com/Does-a-turbocharged-engine-require-an-intercooler

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back