Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Replacing exhaust

BillCoupe98

After 3 years of trouble free daily driving and 18000 miles the flexis on my Dansk silencers have split :x

So i have decided to refurbish the exhaust system using man maths and parts collected over the last 3 years

The silencers are now with topgear in bridport for new flexis, and i have a 63mm x pipe on order, coupled with my cheap ebay manifolds will give me a full 2.5" system as thr manifolds and silencers are 2.5" tubes already

One full day stripping the exhaust system, 8 snapped bolts later, i'm now using the stromski jig to remove the left over studs :)

Car set up on midrise lift in garage

Attachments

• image_355.jpeg
    image_355.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,000
Good luck with the jig. Are you replacing with studs?

MC

Hi

Yes, i,ve drilled 2 out so far, jig is easy to use, i haven't deciede yet on replacements can either go old fashioned and use normal vw type steel studs with copper nuts or use SS bolts

Good job i took 2 weeks holiday :thumb:

My SS bolts were removed last month after being in for 4 years. Clean as a whistle and trouble free.

Watching with interest as still on the to-do list. Stomski and TI studs already purchased.

So info on your experience would be useful eg did the threads 'peel' out or did they need tapping? Any specific tools that you used in addition to the stomski? Did all 6 snap one side - how easy was it to locate the jig on stud remnants ?

Regards

Ian

Paynewright said:
Watching with interest as still on the to-do list. Stomski and TI studs already purchased.

So info on your experience would be useful eg did the threads 'peel' out or did they need tapping? Any specific tools that you used in addition to the stomski? Did all 6 snap one side - how easy was it to locate the jig on stud remnants ?

Regards

Ian

+1 :thumb:

Don't know why anyone would want to fit Titanium in Aluminium. They are at either ends of the Galvanic scale so are prone to react with each other as there's chance the Titanium will act as an Anode and eat away at the Aluminium.

I have Titanium implants in the front of my face. The reason Titanium is used is due to its excellent ability to knit into other materials and form a permanent bond so it doesn't come loose. Why the hell would you want this to happen with your manifold bolts - I thought the idea was to fit something that can easily be removed at a later date :dont know:

If you want to play it safe, just fit Stainless Steel Bolts. There cheaper and will be far better suited to the job.

7 bolts snapped, 1 head was so bad i couldnt use a socket so had to drill it off freehand, so all 6 one side need removing.

I used a 3" air powered cut off tool to cut some of the stud.

I have removed the thermostat and the waterpump hose and removed the 10mm bolts holding the waterpipes ether side of the sump for access.

A normal drill wont fit on the front stud, passenger side, as the chuck rubs on the engine casing, it was mentioned in the stromski u tube video so i was ready for it, i have access to a handheld chuck on an extension powered by my battery drill so It wasnt an issue.

The studs in mine the 2 ive done so far havn't peeled out, i used the chasing tap in the kit to clean them out, you have to be patient.

Its not a job i would like to attempt without a lift simply because you need lots of light, although that could be my eyesight
8)

Whatever made the steel ones fuse in there in the first place. Just my opinion but why buy some whizzy component (lets be honest - we all get a hard on when Titanium is mentioned) when a 20 pack of £2.50 Stainless Steel bolts are perfectly adequate. Cheaper than a pack of fags and do less damage.

Passenger side manifold bolts

Attachments

• d0b9955a_88c1_4b47_814b_c2990ed930cb_926.jpeg
    d0b9955a_88c1_4b47_814b_c2990ed930cb_926.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,771
Underneath of head

Attachments

• 2a8ba148_550f_47db_b3e4_781973efcf1b_286.jpeg
    2a8ba148_550f_47db_b3e4_781973efcf1b_286.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,766
That looks challenging! Keep us updated.

Mine on drivers side look similarly corroded. Plan is to do Nov / Dec time so I can do steadily.

Alex - good insight on metals to use. I'm still erring towards studs and nuts but in stainless now!

Ian

See that groove machined in the head that goes to each cylinder? Evertime you start the engine cold, the SAI unit (if you have one) sucks whatever is in the surrounding atmosphere and pumps it through those channels and round the bolts.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back