Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

3AE Viola Metallic

MC

I took the oil pressure sender off the cover this morning and fitted it to our Druck pressure indicator to check the outputs from it.

The answer is that it is the same output as this VDO sensor here:

https://vdo-webshop.nl/en/pressure-senders/378-vdo-pressure-sender-0-5-bar-1-8-27-nptf.html

The low pressure warning is activated at approximately 0.37bar, or 5.4psi for you oldies.

I now need to check the pullup resistor on the dial cluster and I can check the gauge accuracy.

MC

That's the one.

I mentioned on another thread that I was looking to see how the cup cables fitted and was short of a bracket. Thanks to ontheloop I now have the correct bracket.

This isn't the end of the story for this end of the cables though. Due to the design of the housing, if I screw the plate in at this height I won't be able to put the centre console back in. So I need to shorten the plastic mounting post by 8mm and modify the bracket, or use it as a pattern to make a new one, which is also 8mm shorter on the overturned sections which hold the cables in place.

MC

Mc just a quick question. How high did you need the car on stands to get the engine out, as in pulled out from underneath as well?
Just doing my homework to see if it's possible for me to do at home so I can paint the bay.

I don't know. I had the engine on a lifting table and lifted the car from it. My lift will go up to about 2m so don't really take much notice.

MC

Aye that'd be easier. I'm not blessed with much space so I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get round the problem. I'm guessing it's very straight forward gettin the engine out. Can't see too many problems. I think if I could even just drop it down say 18 inches, I could work round it.

Infrasilver will know.

MC

coullstar said:
Whens the painting to be done?

No progress in the last week, he has some other more involved stuff at the moment...

MC

I have been away for a week, and had a week of not going a great deal :) So time to get back on with a few details. I am starting to get the engine ready. The jobs I need to do on the engine are:

Remove both camshaft covers to clean them up and stop the leaks
Fit prototype scavenge pump to the right hand cylinder bank
Fit prototype tappet chest to one bank
Remove IMS bearing cover to flip off the seal from the bearing and cure the leak on the cover
Remove sump to see if it is an x51 version and reseal to stop leaks
Fit stud kit for the exhaust

That is about it, nothing major going on as the engine hopefully won't be in for all that long.
I had already taken the cover off the right hand bank and started doing a bit of cleaning on it. Today I cleaned the cover, coils, and coil tubes. The coils have no cracks so they won't be changed at this point. The cover looks OK but I will be taking it to the acid dippers for a very quick clean. I am conscious of the bearing surfaces in there but the guys there know what they are doing so can just do a quick dip for me to not damage the surfaces.

The aluminium coolant tubes which run under the car will be dipped at the same time, they have had the fittings all removed. Some clips will need replacing.

I am fitting the cup cables to the shift mechanism, which require a plate to hold the cables in place. The standard cup cover plate means that the centre console doesn't fit properly, so I have made up a shorter one which will also require 8mm to be removed from the plastic mounting point on the shifter. This is where I am up to with it so far.

MC

Good job. I've started to read this from the start to pick up the info for my own car :lol:

Bracket for the shift housing finished off. I need to pick up a few parts to finish the cable ends off so more will follow. I'm pitting together a video to show all of the details and parts required.

Coolant pipes stripped ready to go for a dip tomorrow.

MC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back