Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Juddering wipers, worse with wet screen - 997.1

Donstanley

Trainee
Hi

For some time I have been trying to cure juddering wipers.

I bought some PIAA wipers and followed the instructions for cleaning and preparing the screen, but they juddered as much as the ones removed.

I then bought some Bosch wipers and cleaned the screen with Brillo, thoroughly washed and dried it and applied Rain X, these do not judder on a dry screen, but do judder on a wet screen. Speed of driving has very little effect.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated. I took videos with my iPad of the wipers working on a dry and then a wet screen, but have not succeeded In uploading them With this post.

Video to here please ..

[email protected]

I'll see if i can upload it .

Fault is a little strange .. i normally replace the blades with Bosch to stop juddering .

It's also not a fault i've seen before on a 997 .. on a Cayenne and we adjust something called the angle of attack .. the angle of the wiper arm basically .

for it to be something like this would make me think of windscreen replacement .. have they been removed and bent .

I'm also wondering if there is a problem with the wiper linkage .. dry joint perhaps .. :dont know:

I'm afraid i don't have an answer but i'll look at the video .. this might be a job for a garage to have a look at as something is obviously not right there .

Silly question but, have you got the curved wiper for the near side?

Juddering wipers

Hi

I think so as they were specifically for the 997 and they are both in contact with the screen for their entire length.

Video here ..

https://youtu.be/96Z0WbfcVB0

i'm not sure that's juddering as such but not a clean sweep .. you have streaks as best as i can tell ..

I would start with glass cleaner on the screen .. after that i'm thinking the angle of the arms ... it's hard to be more precise im afraid .. i would need to actually see the car and feel if the arms are sticking .. or indeed see if they are not lined up correctly .

I would assume your local garage could do the same as me .

I have same problem ,,,just changed to Bosch they look different but not rained since ive changed so cant really tell,,

this may or may not be of any help?

Attachments

• wipers_100.pdf
    97.6 KB · Views: 202
I had the same problem with mine, tried various makes of blades with no improvement. Ended up changing the windscreen and fitting OEM wipers, that sorted it out!

img_4876.jpg

img_4874.jpg

img_4877.jpg

jl-c said:
this may or may not be of any help?

Spot on .. that's the attack angle .. i've only ever seen instructions for a Cayenne to date though .

i will say it's probably an OPC job as i know for sure we don't have that equipment and i doubt any indy does .

You can visually check the angle of attack.

Take the wiper blade off and gently put the arm against the glass - the flat should sit flush to the screen. If it's off then get a small adjustable spanner and gently twist it so it sits flush to the screen surface.

Juddering wipers 997.1

Many thanks for all your suggestions.

Checked the angle of attack, passenger side was correct, but drivers side needed quite a lot of adjustment so the flat of the arm was parallel with the screen, but unfortunately the judder was no better.

Cleaned screen again with Brillo and then with vinegar which was a tip from a 996 thread, and then with glass cleaner, but no improvement.

There is no judder or noise when the screen is dry, but when sprayed with water judder and noise returns, the more the water the more the judder. Judder and noise reduce if no more water sprayed onto screen as wipers dry the screen.

I will try new Porsche wipers and if still no good it must be the screen or the mechanism/motor. Will take it to my Indie for their opinion.

sounds to me that the arm is not holding the blade firmly and the blade is 'rattling' in the arm. Just a guess?

jl-c said:
sounds to me that the arm is not holding the blade firmly and the blade is 'rattling' in the arm. Just a guess?

Agreed. I would check to see if the arm is correctly mounted on its splines and held securely. The fact that the angle was all wrong makes me suspicious of something more basic.

Juddering wipers

Thanks for all the suggestions. Fitted Porsch wipers, £34.60 with 10% discount, look exactly the same as the Bosch wipers removed, except with no brand markings.

No judder with wet or dry screen, hopefully will stay like this for sometime.

It's nearly always down to a faulty wiper motor and not just Porsche specific.

After a short time the fault will usually return.

Had this on a few cars and the wiper blade replacement ended up being a bandaid.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back