Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wheeler Dealers new episode on the 996 Carrera

Enjoyed that. Yes, Mike can be a bit lively, but on the whole it's a pretty good watch. Whats the view in that particular IMS replacement?

I like Mike Brewer. Always have actually. And I love Wheeler Dealers. It's fascinating watching how it's evolved over the years.

Ant is really good too. Loved him on his previous show as well.

Wish Edd well though he seems to have lost his way. Liked him too.

And I like (most) of the Grand Tour. And Top Gear. And F1.

Not a big fan of sheep. Or echo chambers. And I can live without too much gammon.

What a time to be alive :thumbs:

g911omr said:
Whats the view in that particular IMS replacement?

There's the risk that you're starving other engine components of (vital) oil which could create major problems down the line, especially when the engine is hot and the oil pressure low on tickover.

I don't mind Mike, it's show biz, let's face it the prices they achieve no where covers the real costs. Remove the fluff it's worth a watch for the spanering.

To be fair Mike and family are at most of the bigger shows giving a talk. He does have a 911sc in California.

I'm addicted to car SOS personally. Looking at the cars they restore, alot are scrap and really should be scrapped, credit they manage to bring them back, although I'd question how much filler is ok. :eek:

I was a bit suprised at his technique for doing the wheel bearing, it looked very awkward to press back in properly. Obviously a huge amount of detail missing, like locking the engine and loosening tensioners when doing the IMS bearing, but enjoyable all the same. I do like the look of the convertibles. I like Mike, he is a character and has used that to do well for himself by being determined and getting on with it. Good luck to him. Ant gives good explanations of the work.
It doesn't seem as fake as Tim's antics on Car SOS.

MC

I think Mike comes across as a fool. He ALWAYS starts the car to 'listen to the the engine" without checking the fluids first :hand:

In my view Ed was always the real star of the show. The better presenter and of course the only guy that actually did any work.

That said it is of course a TV program, and one I always enjoy watching. Perhaps in that sense Mike is a genius. I can well believe he plays to the camera and people like me get taken in by it.

Anyone seen Lazy Boys' Garage? It's the same every week, just a different car!

MisterCorn said:
I was a bit suprised at his technique for doing the wheel bearing, it looked very awkward to press back in properly. Obviously a huge amount of detail missing, like locking the engine and loosening tensioners when doing the IMS bearing, but enjoyable all the same. I do like the look of the convertibles. I like Mike, he is a character and has used that to do well for himself by being determined and getting on with it. Good luck to him. Ant gives good explanations of the work.

MC
:thumbs:

kas750 said:
MisterCorn said:

MC
:thumbs:

+1

Heard Brewer talk at the NEC restoration show, he comes across as very arrogant and he couldn't bring himself to mention Edd, it was all about himself with the occasional reference to 'the previous chap'.

Brewerballs

On one programme he spoke of an 'infinity' he had with a car.

Mind you, I worked with a guy who put in an official report of how he walked around a premis during a visit to a sub-contractor.

Wheeler Dealers has always been a bit staged, with the fake buy/haggling and very often fake selling when they cant find a buyer. At one point attaboy (the production company) used to just sell the finished cars on ebay to get shot of them.

But saying that, ive always liked it and watched it up until when they moved to America & went all American. It seemed to go downhill then. However, now Ant has joined ive started watching them again, and my eldest (who is 5) now loves them. I made the mistake of sticking an old episode with Ed on the other night and my lad told me in no uncertain terms he didnt like Ed and wanted Ant. :lol:

maldren said:
Heard Brewer talk at the NEC restoration show, he comes across as very arrogant and he couldn't bring himself to mention Edd, it was all about himself with the occasional reference to 'the previous chap'.

Funny I heard the same talk and got totally different impression, his wife and daughter were there and he was up for a meet and greet. I know what a pain they can be, not me, but I do have a couple of well know friends who have people wonting to say hello and shake hands every where they go.

As far as the Ed bit goes, bear in mind he and his family was coming into a lot of abuse including death threats, so I guess if I was him I wouldn't mention Ed. Sadly my understanding is that Ed did start to believe he was bigger than the show, which imo is always unfortunate for all concerned.
Apparently the U.K. series like all these make over type shows have a lot going on in the background, the guys that worked on Wheeler Dealers are now doing the work on the Drew Pritchard car show, name escapes me, it's that good.

The episode with the vintage Cadillac is worth checking out. It was Mike and Edd's last episode together before the split. And boy does it show. If it was scripted then it was by Alan Bennet. It's like a painful episode of Play for Today.

People huh?

Fuzz is a legend from recent 'dips' which are now infamy. And a tasty drummer too. Though I find Tim excruciating to watch. I love the idea he's such a household name he needs a disguise...

Brewer is a marmite personality. I personally can't stand him. I'm not sure if the dodgy dealer is a part he plays or his true personality. Either way I don't warm to such folk.

Ive only ever watched 1 episode of wheeler dealers. It was a 205 GTi as I was rebuilding mine at the time. It was utter dross, full of misinformation. The car later turned up on the owners forum and was pretty much fit for the scrap yard.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back