Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

0W40 or 5W40?

^^^^^^What Zeusy has said ^^^^^^^ my car before being sold ran on Fuchs GT1 5/40 very negligible oil use and no problems :thumb:

I have just checked and the last 4 oil changes have been with Mobil1 motorsport formula 10w-60 fully synthetic.
No oil use, always a clean as in smoke free start and no rattles, my turbo is on 85k miles
link to oil,

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-69026-mobil-1-10w-60-advanced-full-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

Website Description:
Mobil 1 10w-60 Advanced Full Synthetic Engine Oil
Mobil Ultimate Performance 10w-60 Synthetic Engine Oil
has been designed to help provide the extra protection that older engines can demand. It is suitable for virtually all types of older vehicles and operating conditions.
Mobil 1 10W-60 is engineered to help provide long lasting protection in higher mileage engines so you can get a longer life span out of your vehicles' engine.

Mobil oils link
https://www.mobil1.co.uk/synthetic-engine-oils/extended-life-10w-60.aspx
Not silly price either, i'm sticking with this :thumb:

diverzeusy said:
so scenario is, older engine and space between e.g. bearings
New 20 thousandths of one inch
100k miles 35 thousandths of one inch. (these are examples, Not actual)
Over night stood in the centrally heated garage, the thin oil would drain from the gap where capillary action used to keep it there ready for starting, the very slightly thicker oil will stay due to that very same capillary action, therefore every time you start up there is less wear on the older engine with the thicker oils, when hot I would say minimal advantage as the pump is sending high pressure hot oil to all the parts anyway.
Its just the initial start from cold.
maybe i'm talking my logical engineering rubbish :dont know:

Err.........no - when the car was parked up in the garage both *w 40 oils would have the same viscosity (presuming we're parking the cars up after being up at temp). The 0w is only thicker when cold. So parking up - both oils would drain from the gap.

Alex said:
diverzeusy said:
so scenario is, older engine and space between e.g. bearings
New 20 thousandths of one inch
100k miles 35 thousandths of one inch. (these are examples, Not actual)
Over night stood in the centrally heated garage, the thin oil would drain from the gap where capillary action used to keep it there ready for starting, the very slightly thicker oil will stay due to that very same capillary action, therefore every time you start up there is less wear on the older engine with the thicker oils, when hot I would say minimal advantage as the pump is sending high pressure hot oil to all the parts anyway.
Its just the initial start from cold.
maybe i'm talking my logical engineering rubbish :dont know:

Err.........no - when the car was parked up in the garage both *w 40 oils would have the same viscosity (presuming we're parking the cars up after being up at temp). The 0w is only thicker when cold. So parking up - both oils would drain from the gap.

Err.......yes actually, sort of, I'm using 10w-60
10w is the winter or cold viscosity, when this is hot all equal
however
the 60 is the hot viscosity and 60 is thicker when hot than 40 or 50 and so will not loose the capillary action I previously mentioned as easy as the 40 or 50,
or put simply I suppose I could say
10W-60 is thicker in all scenarios than
0W-40 or 5W-40
however I stand to be corrected :thumb: :)

:thumbs: Agreed. I misunderstood you and thought you were comparing 40 vs 40 :thumb:

I've been using Millers NanoDrive CFS NT+ 10w-50 since Hartech rebuild at 57,000 and it users very little oil in between services (now on 71,000) :thumb:

deMort said:
5/40 .

I work at one of those garages so a bit biased i guess .

Above 50K and we tend to switch to 5/40 .

May I ask why you/your garage suggests 5w40 over the likes of 0w40 and 10w50?

Also which oil brand(s) do you recommend?

Mobil 1 0w/40 is the standard oil for these cars .. as they get a bit older a slightly thicker oil is perhaps prudent .. hence we will use 5w/40 again Mobil 1 .

For a dfi engine we still stick to 0w/40 .

DFI is G2 engines .

Oil opinions vary so much it's a difficult subject to answer .. hence i merely state what my garage does and if someone wants to use 10/50 then that's fine.

A Hartech engine and we use what they specify regardless .

Benefits .. maybe slightly lower oil consumption .. maybe it's slightly better for the engine ? i'm not sure .. all i would lean towards is a slightly thicker oil on a .. little worn engine :) is perhaps a good idea .

Please bear in mind .. im very honest when i post here .. so i say what we do .. that's the point of me being here .. to not only help where i can but also to say what garages actually do .

Hopefully this won't open the can of worms oil type posts often do lol .

Next oil change I will be putting 5w/40 Mobil 1 in mine

Thanks for the info

Edit

Is it this one ?

Mobil Super 3000 X1 5W-40 Premium Fully Synthetic Engine Oil

deMort said:
Mobil 1 0w/40 is the standard oil for these cars .. as they get a bit older a slightly thicker oil is perhaps prudent .. hence we will use 5w/40 again Mobil 1 .

For a dfi engine we still stick to 0w/40 .

DFI is G2 engines .

Oil opinions vary so much it's a difficult subject to answer .. hence i merely state what my garage does and if someone wants to use 10/50 then that's fine.

A Hartech engine and we use what they specify regardless .

Benefits .. maybe slightly lower oil consumption .. maybe it's slightly better for the engine ? i'm not sure .. all i would lean towards is a slightly thicker oil on a .. little worn engine :) is perhaps a good idea .

Please bear in mind .. im very honest when i post here .. so i say what we do .. that's the point of me being here .. to not only help where i can but also to say what garages actually do .

Hopefully this won't open the can of worms oil type posts often do lol .

deMort, I've recently moved from a Gen1 to a Gen2 C2. It is a daily with 71k on clock. So you recommend I stick to 0w/40 rather than move to 5w/40? Out of interest why is that? Thanks.

Jam911 said:
Next oil change I will be putting 5w/40 Mobil 1 in mine

Thanks for the info

Edit

Is it this one ?

Mobil Super 3000 X1 5W-40 Premium Fully Synthetic Engine Oil

That's what I've been using quite happily. Don't think there's a 'Mobil 1" branded 5W40.

God that is expensive for 5 litres

Jam911 said:
God that is expensive for 5 litres

I know! I thought the Millers NT+ was expensive, but over £100 for 5 litres is pretty mad!

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back