Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ultra Low Emission Zone

madalaa said:
and as I said if there was a decent scrappage scheme offered that did not leave the cab owner out of pocket it could happen a lot quicker ....... but I see no reason why a cab owner should be left out of pocket after spending a considerable sum buying his cab in the first place.

I am still perplexed as to what subsidies black cab owners get from the taxpayer or other road users ...... :dont know:

there is a scrappage scheme, except as you've pointed out you want more ££££

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/taxis-and-private-hire/taxi-delicensing-scheme

you've all being spinning the "out of pocket" argument for long enough, tell that to public sector workers

the costs you complain out, which are only a few hundred £ for a year

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/taxis-a...pply-for-a-taxi-driver-licence#on-this-page-3

if you're charging £10 for 2 miles then you'll make up those costs in over a day
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/taxi-fares

so where are you out of pocket ?

You can't blame cabbies for driving soot belchers if they're operating within the law. Government are to blame for allowing it. I bet every single black cab is newer and was purchased for a higher price than any of the machines I use in my business.

If you're going to point the finger at the end user then the passengers of the black cabs are to blame.

Alex said:
You can't blame cabbies for driving soot belchers if they're operating within the law. Government are to blame for allowing it. I bet every single black cab is newer and was purchased for a higher price than any of the machines I use in my business.

If you're going to point the finger at the end user then the passengers of the black cabs are to blame.

Alex, Black Cab's are exempt from the Congestion Charge but not Private Mini Cabs, so that's a nice deal. New Clean Taxi is £55k https://www.businessgreen.com/bg/ne...order-book-for-gbp55-600-electric-black-taxis which looks a good deal

E.g. Black Cab's want to be exempt from the Bham Congestion Charge congestion charge set to be imposed by Birmingham City Council. so they protest :hand: :hand: :hand: :hand:

f the speed limit is 60mph, I'll do 60mph. I don't make the laws, just abide by them.

If black cabbies (you know what I mean) are working within the law set out by the Government then it's unfair criticising their practices. That's all I'm saying.

Alex said:
f the speed limit is 60mph, I'll do 60mph. I don't make the laws, just abide by them.

If black cabbies (you know what I mean) are working within the law set out by the Government then it's unfair criticising their practices. That's all I'm saying.

it's fair to criticise their union practice and protests to gaining exemptions to congestion and environmental charges

Could say that about alot of unions.

Rather than blame black ab drivers, why not point the finger at massively subsided parasitical Uber?

Same thing, in many ways - using public roads that are paid for from council tax (and to some extent general taxation) as a working area in which to ply their trade.

The black cabs have the benefit of the rules being written to favour them - exemptions from congestion charge, can go in bus lanes and so on.

Uber are VC funded and use that to provide a loss making business whilst also putting the risk onto the drivers, who own/fund the vehicles.

Both groups wouldn't exist in their current format if they had to both pay for the resources they use, and fund themselves from revenues gained directly.

madalaa said:
All black cab owners have been subsidised by the taxpayer for their entire career, driving on roads maintained by taxes paid by others.

How do you come to that strange conclusion?

Cabbies pay their road tax like any other vehicle on the road ...... they also have to pay for the licence that allows them to ply for hire ....... also they have to pay for their medicals and they also have to pay for their yearly overhaul of the cab to make sure it is road worthy ....... they don't get their fuel VAT free ...... in fact it is mostly pay .... pay ..... pay and it certainly is not subsidised by other road users or the taxpayer.

:nooo:

"Road Tax" isn't spent on the roads, it goes into general taxation - it's probably the most reliable way alongside VAT to get cabbies to pay any tax at all.

As a group cab drivers (alongside B&B owners) are the most likely UK taxpayer to, ahem, "under-declare" their income (HMRC figures show that just under 60% of cabbies audited under-declared their income).

So - 2/3rds of cab drivers get to cheat on their taxes owed, so they're shirking their duties on that front.

In terms of paying for the roads, unless they're paying council tax in all the areas that they ply for hire, then they're not paying anything for them.

So if a cab drives past my house, I've paid for the road they're on - not them.

Then, if I flag them down and pay them to take me round the corner I'll pay them with money I've paid tax on, and they'll then shirk their responsibility to do the same in 2/3rds of cases.

So! Scroungers and shirkers, statistically speaking.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back