Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Setting correct date in PCM 2.0

318touring

Yes, I have read the manual. The Date/Time option is greyed out and not-selectable.

I have just changed the battery, and tried to set the date (currently set to 1998), but the Date/Time was greyed out. I can set time easily.

Any help please, it is PCM 2.0 (on 2003 C4), I know PCM's almost useless but it irks me to not being able to set something that simple correctly.

Fell for this myself a few weeks ago. It will set itself once out in the open via gps I assume!

I spent some time scratching my head on this one until I went for a spin and voila....on my 2004 PCM2. :frustrated:

Yes, I read through the Porsche workshop manual, seems that it needs maps? I don't have the maps for NZ and can't be bothered getting one since it'll be out of date.

Correcting the date on PCM2

So, I know this is probably a bit OCD but my PCM2 (2003 turbo) is showing the wrong date and for the life of me I can't find anywhere in the manual where you can manually adjust the date if it's not showing correctly. Does the date automatically update from radio or GPS signal or do I need to get my indie to change it via OBD?

I would have thought it would have picked that up from the GPS, what date is it showing?

MC

US date format, possibly, 04/01/2019?

Pcm are my very weak point i'm afraid but don't you just press set button , pcm settings then the date is listed and you can alter it ?

Failing that it can be done with a tester but you need one that will communicate with the pcm .

Date format can be changed (dd/mm/yy, mm/dd/yy etc) but you can't manually enter the date although you can manually enter/set the time. Leads me to think that there must be some automatic system (GPS or radio) which it uses for the date but can't find any clues. Makes me wonder though if that's the case why can't it set the time automatically too? :dont know:

Just a stupid question but your nav map does update and show your correct location doesn't it ?

if it is done by GPS and the GPS antenna is not working .. common after a screen replacement then it wont update time or date .

deMort said:
Just a stupid question but your nav map does update and show your correct location doesn't it ?

if it is done by GPS and the GPS antenna is not working .. common after a screen replacement then it wont update time or date .

Ah, not had a screen replacement but do have a large bulls-eye stone chip at the bottom of the screen in the middle. Need to get Insurance to look at it to see if it's repairable or a new screen job. I'll look at my nav next time i go out to see if position updates. That should hopefully rule out any potential GPS antenna issue.

Thanks for all of the input so far.

So, I took the car out for a good run at the weekend and checked the nav was updating (which it was) so seems to suggest the GPS antenna is OK. I was out for about 2 hours but still no correction on the date front. I'm guessing it is just one of those things that I'll have to put up with and maybe it'll sort itself out when I'm not looking. :pc:

I've just had something similar but on a 997 which i think is a pcm 2.1 ..

i had the battery disconnected to change a starter motor .. it now defaults to either 7.7 2000 or 1.1 2000.

I tried a vehicle handover with a tester but it didn't fix it .. it did however screw up the cab roof which would no longer close .. separate issue from the pcm fault though .

For any mechanics .. check the Rear end CU after a handover .. if it looses the coding then even though the roof has its own CU it will stop the roof from closing ... its the 987 fault basically .

Car outside .. i must have coded the date 6 times in all with some attempts not working with others working but as soon as the pcm reset it went back to the wrong date .

Finally with the car being outside for an hour .. me messing about with coding it to Germany and back i entered the date .. left it for a few mins before exiting with the tester .. it reset but kept the date !!

A lot of faffing around but it did work in the end .

Downside is i had to disconnect the battery to fix the roof fault so ended back at square one but it did kinda prove to me it can be fixed .. just a lot of messing around with a tester to get it to be the correct date .

It would appear that just leaving the car outside and relying on GPS doesn't always work .. basically beating it to death with a tester will ... well sometimes.

Customer is a Piston heads forum user .. he checked the site as i was working on it ..many reports of this fault but no fix is mentioned .

Watching from the 997 area...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back