Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Flat batteries and opening frunks

hermes

Spa-Francorchamps
I'm going to be leaving my 997 at the office for 4 weeks, during which time
I know the battery will go flat, so my plan is to disconnect it rather than
let it drain.

Does anyone know if a jump starter pack can be used to pop the bonnet from
the fuse box?

TIA

As an aside, how are you going to lock the car when it there? I often disconnect the battery on my 996 C2, but always end up leaving it with the passenger door unlocked as I haven't figured out how to leave the car secure.

MC

Aha! Thanks.

Just to update this thread, I found I could not open the frunk via the backup electric connection in the footwell using a NOCO Jump Start Booster, and instead had to use a regular car battery.

Not sure if this was user error on my part or not.

Just to point out ..

If you have a flat battery or the leads removed from the battery then its the same thing .. no electrical charge to the system .

A jump pack on the red pin and you Must use the door check strap as an earth , don't use the rear pin the door lock attaches to .

It will not work on the first attempt or the second etc .. but you keep pressing the fob bonnet unlock and the floor bonnet unlock switch .. after 10 attempts or so it will open .

If not check and reposition the jump leads .

it can be a pain , it will work in the end though .. that's from someone thats done hundreds of these over the years :D

I only know of jump packs so cant comment on these small battery types .. difference between a garage and a user i guess .. our jump pack would start a truck :)

I understand your point about the battery connection, and I'm not really sure how the NOCO works. I've not had much time yet to experiment with it, but I have observed that it behaves differently if the battery is in the circuit (albeit a charged battery).

I also used the rear pin door latch as the earth(!) and could open the frunk this way while the battery was disconnected, using a spare car battery, and my little 12V battery, but not at all with the NOCO.

Your point about using the door strap is noted.

In the short term I've solved the problem for 10 quid, but will keep fiddling....

Some chargers seem to want to 'see' voltage before they spring into life. I presume your booster is similar.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back