Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil service after run in period

991.2GTS

I've read on a couple of other forums some people recommending an oil/oil filter change after the run in period. It's doesn't appear to be recommended by Porsche, but what are your thoughts? Necessary, or overkill?

When I called the OPC and asked this question, I was met with some incredulity and they seemed to have no idea what I was referring to. Which makes me wonder if I should choose another another OPC for servicing? :?:

They will frown, as it's not in the book. I wouldn't bother, but each to their own.

2 years/20k miles on the original oil cannot really be a good thing.

BMW still recommends a running in service for the M cars, though this is I understand because the factory use a different viscosity oil to aid running in.

I'd get the oil and filter changed by an Indy.

I changed my 991.2 oil & filter every 10k miles... (was doing 18-20k miles per year).

I'm sure if you insisted and paid your OPC for it they'd do it. The question is, these days, will it actually make any difference to anything apart from your bank account?

You could change the oil once a week and the tyres after they were worn by 1mm but would it actually affect the performance and longevity of the vehicle? Porsche don't seem to think so and they're the closest to the metal.

I've had light aircraft for a long time and because a lot of the engines are 50+ year old technology, you have to run them in with 'straight" oil then do fairly regular changes after that. Modern car engines and the oils that go with them are almost unrecognisable in comparison, so I've had to leave my preconceptions behind...

EdTheDuck said:
I'm sure if you insisted and paid your OPC for it they'd do it. The question is, these days, will it actually make any difference to anything apart from your bank account?

You could change the oil once a week and the tyres after they were worn by 1mm but would it actually affect the performance and longevity of the vehicle? Porsche don't seem to think so and they're the closest to the metal.

Porsche have a far from exemplary record on that front over the last 20 yrs, and it seems oddly coincidental that much of the engine issues seemed to coincide with the introduction of 2 yr service intervals.

Leaving aside the fact the recent ten years has been relatively unblemished compared to the previous ten.

Honestly I'm not sure if it makes any difference or not but I've done the oil and filter change on cars a few hundred miles old in the past as recommended

Just my opinion but if you've just invested in around £100k Porsche and you are not sure just do it anyway for what it costs and piece of mind.
Keep the record of it and who knows any future perspective buyer especially if private could appreciate seeing the seller had been a conscientious owner.

Never done it, stick with the recommendation by Porsche. Some do change it .. each to their own!

Porkaholic said:
Honestly I'm not sure if it makes any difference or not but I've done the oil and filter change on cars a few hundred miles old in the past as recommended

Just my opinion but if you've just invested in around £100k Porsche and you are not sure just do it anyway for what it costs and piece of mind.
Keep the record of it and who knows any future perspective buyer especially if private could appreciate seeing the seller had been a conscientious owner.

That does make sense. For the sake of a couple of hundred quid, it'll not only give me peace of mind, but I'll probably make it back on any future sale as a result of being a conscientious owner.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back