Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My first 911 (C2 gen1)

The bearings sometimes go on these boxes so replacement for a good used one is not unheard of as rebuild is often over a grand. No big loss as the LSD plates were probably worn out too. You only really miss an LSD on trackdays anyway. Get a new gearbox front bush f you drop it. I'd also recommend a 997/987 shifter mech as a good mid point between the too short shift kits and standard 996.

Check the brake pipes over the gear box and in front of steering rack. Check steering rack pipes (can be replaced cheaply).

Remove plastic sill trims at the rear, flip out the bungs inner and outer that allow access to the sills and cavities and see more rust. See http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=124928&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=100 for mine. Have poke around the chassis going back from the front subframe mounts. The thick underseal gets chipped and traps moisture.

These are 20yrs old, the galv has done its job now! But catch it and liberally apply cavity wax to stave the welder off.

If I see wonky or low tailpipes on a 996 I think "engine mounts". Cheap and easy.

Roll bar I would just get a good used one until you decide....you might go full ohlins on us!

You will notice a difference on the 17s, I had heavy C4 17's on mine and I remember the ride being better than the 18s i got. I have a set of 10 spokes the same as yours to go on next time I need tyres.

Thanks, wasz! That rust/crust looks all to familiar!!!! Do you run 205 or 225 on your front 17s?

iOlly said:
Y2K said:
I was there! :)

We have you on video :D - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jQcUlbEfsc

2 mins in, ish :D.

:D

Yes my first TD in the GT3 and my first (and sadly last) visit at Rockingham. I remember talking to your friend and seeing his seal grey :thumb:

The advice from wasz above is spot on.

BTW I have a set of 18' 5-spoke Carrera wheels (the lightest 18') for sale. PM me if interested :wink:

:welcome:

You're gonna fit in well here! :thumbs:

iOlly said:
Thanks, wasz! That rust/crust looks all to familiar!!!! Do you run 205 or 225 on your front 17s?

I ran those 10 spokes on my 964 tarcakday.car for several years. Nice wheels and the lightest factory 17in available

I ran 225/45 fronts and 255/40 rears

Great looking 911, wheels look good too congrats.
Portreath in the background? :thumb:

Porkaholic said:
Great looking 911, wheels look good too congrats.
Portreath in the background? :thumb:

Thanks. Close, Porthtowan. Where abouts are you?

Porthtowan, of course got my names mixed up.
I'm just outside Newquay. Some good coast drives around here but no tracks
to play on.

225/45 and 255/40 PS4s ordered from Blackcircles and being fitted Thursday. MOT hopefully next week. Fingers crossed!

Yeah, Cornwall is far from tracks but I love it too :D. Born and semi raised. 666 miles door to door with my fav guesthouse at the 'Ring. Thruxton and Combe aren't too bad, which is good as Thruxton is my fav UK circuit. In my 20s I managed at least 1 track day a month and drove various MX5s to and fro. In my 30s a trailer became an essential purchase and I'm lucky to manage more than 3-4 a year at the mo. Recent first child + work fun + racing and buying a 911 eating my track day budget.

I saw that there was a reply on that to talk to Gert, also worth talking to your OPC and getting a price from there. They really aren't that crazy and you can often get discount.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mint_Sauce
Back