Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dash vent removal help

jonno_

Imola
Hello all

After a bit of help with dash vent removal, please.
One of mine has an issue with the direction tab adjusting the vanes vertically, not horizontally, I guess its somehow disconnected.

Q1
Anyway, having done the tricky bit of pulling the metal tabs down and pulling the vent out, I'm struggling to undo the tiny electrical connector for the light. It doesn't help there is 2.5mm of slack on the cable, but can't help that.

Q2
The fix - For those who've done this, how have you resolved it ? Is it a case of simply glueing it back together

TIA

jonno_ said:
Hello all

After a bit of help with dash vent removal, please.
One of mine has an issue with the direction tab adjusting the vanes vertically, not horizontally, I guess its somehow disconnected.

Q1
Anyway, having done the tricky bit of pulling the metal tabs down and pulling the vent out, I'm struggling to undo the tiny electrical connector for the light. It doesn't help there is 2.5mm of slack on the cable, but can't help that.

Q2
The fix - For those who've done this, how have you resolved it ? Is it a case of simply glueing it back together

TIA

Hi, cant help with the connectors, but I have the same problem with the vent, however, I haven't managed to get as far as you, whats the trick to getting the vent out, I'd be grateful for any info.

Hi Tim

If you look through the vanes, the top of each vent has 2 x metal loops.
Using a strong pick or small flat-bladed screwdriver you pull both downwards simultaneously, and using your 3rd and 4th hands (!) pull the unit horizontally from the dash.
Don't use to much force or you'll damage the small electrical cable, which is the bit I'm struggling to undo.

There are some pictures on the web, flat 6 online iirc.

Hth
Jon

I know the connector very well i'm afraid .. it's used in many different places on the car and it is a pain ..

Look on the flat side each side of the connector .. you are looking for a tiny square hole with a dimple in the middle .. that's the lock ..

use a watch makers screwdriver or a small right angled pick ..

Slide it under the lower connector and toward the dimple .. you only have to lift it slightly for it to unplug so don't go mad :)

The veins often unclip and can be re assembled but if any of the retaining clips have snapped off then its a new vent im afraid .

jonno_ said:
Hi Tim

If you look through the vanes, the top of each vent has 2 x metal loops.
Using a strong pick or small flat-bladed screwdriver you pull both downwards simultaneously, and using your 3rd and 4th hands (!) pull the unit horizontally from the dash.
Don't use to much force or you'll damage the small electrical cable, which is the bit I'm struggling to undo.

There are some pictures on the web, flat 6 online iirc.

Hth
Jon

thanks jonno

deMort said:
I know the connector very well i'm afraid .. it's used in many different places on the car and it is a pain ..

Look on the flat side each side of the connector .. you are looking for a tiny square hole with a dimple in the middle .. that's the lock ..

use a watch makers screwdriver or a small right angled pick ..

Slide it under the lower connector and toward the dimple .. you only have to lift it slightly for it to unplug so don't go mad :)

The veins often unclip and can be re assembled but if any of the retaining clips have snapped off then its a new vent im afraid .

Thanks VM Iain, much appreciated .

By way of an update.....
The easiest way of tracking this job is, imo, to leave the units in the dash and carefully remove the vanes.

If you gently lever them out (starting from the side without the adjuster wheel) you can fully remove them from there and then replace. This seems much easier than the '4 handed' task of getting the whole unit out.

I am, though, missing 2 of the plastic 'forks' that fit on the reverse side of the vent angle adjuster, don't suppose anyone has any bright ideas on those?

It's fully how the small jobs can take nearly as long as the major ones!

This is a reply I wrote back in 2012 to the same problem on Boxanet, when I had a Boxster.

Its quite difficult to remove the vents. When two of mine went I used a pair of locking forceps to guide the actuator home. You should find it floating around inside the vent somewhere, they tend not to break but just come out of their slots. It is a bit of a struggle with lots of patience and even more swearing!!! I thought about using glue but with super glue and the time it takes to insert the end I would have probably stuck it to some other part inside the vent! This was 3 years ago and they are still there :thumbs:

I also did the same on my 997. It takes a lot of patience! but it does work.
You just need to locate the vane in the vent assembly and fiddle it into the right location. You may be able to spot some glue on it but I never bothered as they were a tight fit.
Hope you have some success.

Cheers Barney, it does help, thanks.

/Off topic
Is your avatar pic at the gliding club on Long Mynd? A beautiful spot if so!
8)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back